SOLD / FOUND Sunday Only Special! Speed run & Drag Castle 1721 2400kv $160 Final day

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are people switching to tp? I am in the market to buy an rc motor for a limitless, so I want to know the best one to buy.

TP and castle both make great motors .Raz has a rig with just 1 1721 motor that does 180+ pass after pass after pass . I am limited on space so I wanted a lower Kv motor for 8 s passes so it would not cut . This motor on 6 s has gotten me 112 with no space and I’m brand new at this so I know I could have easily gotten more way more . And on 8s it got me to 112 quick but didn’t have enough room to feather the throttle ti avoid cut . I have onyx batteries my problem is finding a new spot . This is an amazing motor and if you’re just getting into speed running It’s a great choice . TP is a great choice too . But we all like to change and try parts like it’s our jobs .
Maybe some of the more experienced guys can chime in but I can promise you this motor will not disappoint you at all

Why are people switching to tp? I am in the market to buy an rc motor for a limitless, so I want to know the best one to buy.
Personally, I don't believe in the idea of "the best" in a general sense. I do believe in the idea of "the best for my purpose" or "the best for my abilities". Many paths lead to Rome. Whether or not it's "the best" is debatable but, to my mind, the TP 4080CM and 4080SVM are two great motors for Limitless class vehicles. That being said, @vwturbowolf made a great case for the 1721 the other day by matching his PB with the 4080SVM with a 1721 on 6S. Large can TP motors of the 56xx and 58xx series are going to generate more power but have the disadvantage of being 6-pole motors which the XLX2 has problems with beyond 30k RPM. The answer is to go lower on KV and gear accordingly. I think a lot of it is down to your ability to read data logs and draw the right conclusions from them by testing, testing, testing and yet more testing. The motors named here are three great motors that all have the potential to get you into the 170s to 180s if you take the time to learn what is necessary to get there. But there's no silver bullet, no easy way to get there.
What gearing? I want a car that can go fast, but I don't have an infinite amount of space to drive super fast.
Gearing is going to be specific to particular car, driver and environment. There really isn't much point to naming gearing, imho. You're going to need space to run fast, there's no way around that. Sometimes finding a road is the most difficult part of the speed running discipline. Something else to consider: the taller your gearing, the longer your brake distance is going to be. So if you only have a short distance, a higher KV motor and more voltage will allow you to run smaller pinions which will reduce both your load under acceleration as well as shorten your stopping time (within the constraints of wheel lock which you really want to avoid so you retain control of the car).

I guess the tl;dr is that, there are a lot of considerations in speed running and it's hard/impossible to give you fixed values that will produce a given result. What I can tell you is, that any of those three motors will be more than enough power for 99% of speed runners (possibly more than is advisable depending on your skill level). The best way to get there is to start small and work your way up in small steps. Testing, evaluating, make one adjustment, test again...rinse repeat. Start on 3S, 4S at most and really pay attention to details. Learn the car, learn setup. Watch Raz Shifrin's and James McCoy's setup videos. I've managed over 120mph on 3S but, due to tall gearing and long stopping times this will require long roads. So perhaps 4S is the place to start if you don't have much room. In any case, you should have at least 1000-1200ft for your passes.

As for other equipment that is key to speed running: gears (lots of them) and, probably most importantly, good batteries. Voltage sag is your enemy and only high quality lipos will have the capability to keep the voltage up under 500-600A+ loads (particularly relevant when you don't have much room as you don't have the space for an eight second trigger pull). An economical place to start as far as batteries are concerned are the CNHL G+ line. As for ESCs, the XLX2 is in a class of one when it comes to speed running.

What gearing? I want a car that can go fast, but I don't have an infinite amount of space to drive super fast.

The gearing that I was running was 29/39 in my space of about 1000-1100 ft not including drive out or drive back that’s just trigger space I am able to get 1.3 seconds of full trigger pull on 6 s . I did 100 on 4s and had more full trigger pull but still not even enough for 4s . This motor is has done great at any battery combo I’ve thrown at it

Everything Diem is saying is like free food for speed running there’s a few guys on here that you you open your ears when they’re offering experience and he is one .

I can't believe this is still available

Must be the Holidays coming idk . My mind is blown to
I've had difficulties selling stuff on Ebay classifieds for the last 9-12 months. Before that everything I put up was gone within days or the same day.

I've had difficulties selling stuff on Ebay classifieds for the last 9-12 months. Before that everything I put up was gone within days or the same day.
Think it’s just general inflation and worry about the future? I imagine sentiment is similar on your side of the pond.

Think it’s just general inflation and worry about the future? I imagine sentiment is similar on your side of the pond.
I can't say with certainty, but that's definitely my appraisal of the situation. When people are worried about being able to afford food and gas, discretionary spending evaporates really quickly.

I can't say with certainty, but that's definitely my appraisal of the situation. When people are worried about being able to afford food and gas, discretionary spending evaporates really quickly.

Yeah times are crazy for sure

seems like things are lingering on the classifieds a little longer now. So tempted but I have to clear my bench first and get rid of my HW Max6/1650. Maybe if you open the can and take a few pics of the inside it might help. I get the feeling these motors have lived hard lives....

seems like things are lingering on the classifieds a little longer now. So tempted but I have to clear my bench first and get rid of my HW Max6/1650. Maybe if you open the can and take a few pics of the inside it might help. I get the feeling these motors have lived hard lives....

I will gladly do that , I know this motor has so much life in it . Later this afternoon
Soldddddd!!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back