Tire rubber protector shine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My tires are always in the shelf dirty or dull looking. Even after cleaning good with a brush and simple green. What product can i use to make them shine without the drawback of damaging them in the longrun?
Silicone spray??? I'm not sure, 1st thing popped in there. I use it on my rc plastics & it gives it a little more shine

Tire shine spray. Armor-all makes it, as well as others.

Whatever you want that is good/safe for rubber.

I prefer Lexal Vinylex, IF I use anything at all, besides Simple green. But Scuffed up rubber will always look that way. Never like new again.

I use Vinylex on my scale cars interior and rubber seals on the doors, etc. The safest for rubber and vinyl and plastics. I feel if you use other more oily types of tire rubber shine stuff it will ruin the CA glue at the beads over time.. And the oily stuff builds up, and just cakes up with dirt when you bash in the dirt, need more cleaning. From my experience.

I don't get too fussy about my RC or scale car tires . And I never use any tire shine product even on my Scale cars. Scale Tire mfr's don't even recommend it. But most people like that Shiney tire Look . Not me.

Just being Clean is what I want. Natural looking rubber.
FWIW, Simple Green alone does make the rubber stickier and tacky. A plus.
Keeping them clean with 50/50 water+Simple Green mix is best for me.

Last edited:
Whatever you want that is good/safe for rubber.
I prefer Lexal Vinylex, IF I use anything at all, besides Simple green. Scuffed up rubber will always look that way. Never like new again.
I use it on my scale cars. The safest for rubber and vinyl and plastics. I feel if you use other oily types of tire rubber shine stuff it will ruin the CA glue at the beads over time.. And the oily stuff just cakes up with dirt when you bash in the dirt, From my experience.
I don't get too fussy about my wheels.
Keeping them clean with 50/50 water+Simple green mix is best for me.
So scuffing is what making them look dull?

Combination of that and the simple green imho. Simple Green also removes the oils from the rubber and can degrade it over time.
Any cleaner does that to be honest
Better clean with simple water and a brush and add something at the end for detailing
I do have protek plastic protectant thr pink stuff but it doesn't do anything on the tires

Combination of that and the simple green imho. Simple Green also removes the oils from the rubber and can degrade it over time.
It's why I mentioned to use a 50/50 mix of SG. I get much mileage out of my RC tires.
Scale tire Mfr's don't recommend any Tire shine products for the reasons you stated, with degrading the rubber.
Once rubber is vulcanized when molded during mfr'ing, they start to degrade no matter what you do. The clock is ticking. Cant control Ozone and UV degradation. Dry rot sets in, no matter what you do. Dirt accumulation accelerates this. How I see it. And technically over time, that CA used at the beads, even drys out the rubber. I've had many old tires rip evenly where the bead meets the wheel. you can see the rubber just above the CA, rips away. The CA and tire bead remains intact. CA is an Acid based glue. It deteriorates rubber, over the long haul. Thats why I use BSI IC-2000 Ca on my tires, because it has rubber additive in it. Being Slightly flexible.
Just keep the rubber clean no matter what you use.
I stored seldom used RC wheels, cleaned and in sealed Zip lock bags. In a bin/dark area. Even bright light makes them degrade.

Last edited:
doesn't it degrade rubber overtime?

It's possible, but I suspect the time scale would be longer than the life of an RC tire.

I don't actually use the stuff, but I'm sure there are different formulations so might be something to research.

It's why I mentioned use a 50/50 mix of SG. I get much mileage out of my RC tires.
Scale tire Mfr's don't recommend any Tire shine products for the reasons you stated, with degrading the rubber.
Once rubber is vulcanized when molded during mfr'ing, they start to degrade no matter what you do. The clock is ticking. Dry rot sets in, no matter what you do. Dirt accumulation accelerates this. How I see it.
Just keep the rubber clean no matter what you use.

I never use straight simple green, maybe 60/40 water mix at the most.

Are rc tires vulcanized?

Buy a set of shelf tires.
music video wow GIF by Apple Music

All the tires i ever bough i still have them on my trucks. Some are 4-6 years old. The only set of tire i retired for offroad is the copperhead2 i stole a rim to fix a backflip wheel and i use a too big hole when i drilled the rubber and it causes the foam to degrade a Lot faster. Thread has 60% left and i did a tore patch on one because i had a slit somehow. Bough new set of them for my Nero for the wider stance. My trucks all run bakcflip tires

I have been interested on this brand of products lately. Specially about the dry silicone lubricant and their tire wash who claims to be rubber safe
463AC987-2759-4E4D-9F9B-DB02324BED4E.png

But it cant be shipped from amain to canada because of laws

I never use straight simple green, maybe 60/40 water mix at the most.

Are rc tires vulcanized?
I imagine to some extent they are vulcanized some how in the molding process. Probably are not 100% rubber. But even scale tires are not 100% pure rubber. Scale tires will dry rot just like RC tires will.
I have been interested on this brand of products lately. Specially about the dry silicone lubricant and their tire wash who claims to be rubber safeView attachment 345583
But it cant be shipped from amain to canada because of laws
All those Boutique RC and even Bicycle products are way too expensive. Just Snake Oil at $16. a bottle. That is just a complete waste of coin IMHO. To each their own.
Probably works, but no better than just using Dawn dish soap. It says both Tire and HAND Cleaner????:rolleyes: What a Joke. Come on now. Even sounds like some magical Snake oil do it all $16. stuff.
When it comes to RC Boutique products, much is just repurposed basic chemicals. That gets marked up and branded for "RC use". Cow markets their stuff hard. LHS's and all love to push this stuff like it is some staple needed RC item. I bet the high profit margin supports it well.

Last edited:
Back