Trenchers, Badlands, Backflips & Minokawa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpy Old Man RC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
The stock Dboots Minokeiwa Mt 6S tires that come on the V3 Kraton are decent do it all tires
We drove the trucks on asphalt at first because the ground we so muddy and we didn’t want to mess the trucks up yet.
They performed OK. Stock servo could handle them fairly well but it could have been just a tad stronger for my tastes.
In the yard with really short grass they also did OK but just barely. Lots of spinning and sliding around and I didn’t care for that.

I put Proline Trenchers on mine and didn’t realize they came in two widths. I got the wide. Good and bad. Tons of traction and wheelies on demand, any speed below about 75% and you can raise the front wheels. The bad thing(s), the stock servo won’t even turn them sitting still and not a whole lot better when running even with the servo saver cranked as tight as I was comfortable with. Weight definitely affected run times. Lots quicker draining the batteries. Not real bad to balloon on 6s but did some. I could live with it.

I upgraded both of our servos to the Savox 1230MG with 400 or so in/lb torque. This servo is a beast. Not the quickest but strong as a bull even at 6v. If the run times were OK I would have kept the wide Trenchers on mine because they look soooo big and bad. I looked for the narrower Trenchers and could not find any. Seems to be quite popular.

Called a shop about 30 miles away but in the town where Sarah works and he did have a full set of dBoots Backflips so I got Sarah to go by after work and pick them up.
Very good tire so far after about 6 runs on 6s. ballooning not too bad and wheelies almost as good as the Trenchers. Run times probably doubled because the Backflips are about 1” narrower and a bunch lighter. The SA1230 really handles them.
I’m probably going to get the narrower Trenchers at some point but right now I’m tire poor.

Now to Sarah’s Kraton. She has Proline Badlands on it and she really likes them but they balloon like crazy on 6s. The front ones are bad enough but if even one rear tire gets off the ground, it causes suck a cluster truck it is down right scary. I can’t see how she hasn’t broken anything when this happens. I’ve watched tons of YT videos and have never seen anything like it.

She has decided to attempt to take the tires off the rims and tape the innards and see if that helps. I’m sure glad I saw her truck with the Badlands on it while on 6s before I bought a set for mine.

Well that is my very unscientific review of some tires.

I’m glad to see some better tires are going on the V4 Kraton. Maybe I need a set of those, hmmm, better not, yet.

I have the narrower Trenchers on my Kraton. Motor temps are too high and I need to gear it down. Other than that and wishing they had maybe 1/2" offset they are nice.

Try the fishing line trick for the Proline Badlands. Will save needing to take the tyres off the rims.
Yep, after trying very hard to get the tire loose from the rim with the oven and then a heat gun, we gave up. this morning my thumb is a swollen nightmare and a muscle in my right arm is bothering me badly.

We're gonna pick up some kind of braided fishing line Saturday and have a go with that. Gotta reglue the tire first tho. I did get some of it mostly loose.

if you really want to get them off, try baking them. http://www.rcsoup.com/2011/06/how-to-remove-glued-tires-baking/ I've done this several times without causing any problems to the wheels. Just remember to wear work gloves when removing the tires. I have also use braided fishing line, but just wanted to give you an alternative method.

I have the 3.8" trenchers on my outcast. Have had them on pretty much since the day I got it. I never even ran the stock tires. They are under my workbench, all shiny and new. Didn't even think of run time. I've run 4S up until now, will have my first 6S run tomorrow with a 14T pinion.

2018-0726-ProlineTrencher3.8-ArrmaDBoots.jpg

I wrapped them with braided line last night to get ready for 6S. Didn't want to have a blowout. With my SMC 7200mah 2x2S packs, I'd get about 21 minutes of relatively hard run time with a 15T (I time every single run with all my cars now). Will see what the HRB 5000mah 2x3S do for me tomorrow with 14T. Guessing I may have to step down to at least 13T, but the pinion won't be here until Monday and my trigger finger is way to itchy to wait that long.

2019-0329-Outcast-KevlarStringOnTrenchers.jpg

I've had the savox 1210SG almost since day 1. My first drive in my parking lot the night I got my outcast to just shake out anything weird and the servo died during the first turn. Almost rolled the thing out into the street.

2019-0315-Outcast-ServerSpacingWashers.jpg

if you really want to get them off, try baking them. http://www.rcsoup.com/2011/06/how-to-remove-glued-tires-baking/ I've done this several times without causing any problems to the wheels. Just remember to wear work gloves when removing the tires. I have also use braided fishing line, but just wanted to give you an alternative method.
Yep, tried that. Didn't work. I've got a really good heat gun and tried that also. Nada.
Got some 50# Spider Wire line this morning and am going to do that. My thumbs can take no more abuse. Arthritis is a witch!

I might could be talked into sending them to you and letting you have a go at them if you could guarantee me being able to use all the pieces when you got finished.o_O I've done this in the past but have never seen a tire glued on like these Prolines.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back