Typhon Typhon 3s - driveshaft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a question for you, do you like working on things? Are you mechanically inclined and does this sound like fun for you? If so go the 6s shock route. Incredible durability. Keep in mind they are made for 15+ pound cars. More then twice the weight of a 3S car. So they can handle very well. Go to the 4 x 4 section of this forum and look at the top posts. You’ll see one about shock upgrades for the 3S line. Read that thoroughly.

If you’re unsure about the above then fix the stock shocks and see how your son fully takes to hobby before spending money on upgrades. You can get parts for them at Horizon hobby, Amain hobby and many other hobby shops. Also check out jennysrc.com, they have a very reasonably priced stock parts. Depending upon how bad it’s bent you may be able to bend it right back also.

A good litmus test for your son would be to see if he is willing to pay for some of the less expensive parts with his own money. Also see if he’s willing to actually work on things and learn how to wrench. In my case, my 8 year old stepdaughter has no interest in working on cars or buying parts. But she loves to drive her ‘little’ cars. So I support her in the way that she appreciates and this allows me to enjoy my hobby with her.

Speaking of her, if I don’t like her type something she won’t leave me alone 🤣 so here is Belle… hi🏞🎆🌌🌅🌇🌉🌄🌆🌁🗾🌠🏙🎑🎇🌃🌸🌺🥀🌷🌹💐🐚

Good luck man no matter what choice you make, enjoy with your son!

My use case would be for increased durability. My son hit a small jump (2-3 feet in the air) and bent a rear shock. This was our second run. I feel the performance of the shocks is fine. We do minimal jumping and primarily drive in gravel/loose dirt bumpy areas. He's 8 years old and I'm looking to improve durability.
For durability, 1/8 scale (16mm bore) shocks are your best bet. Most come with 4mm shock shafts. 1/10 scale shock options often have the same 3mm shock shafts as the 3s line and will not improve durability. You'll also need Axial bushings. 1/8 scale shocks have larger shock mounting holes on top. The bushings will fill in the gap. https://www.amazon.com/Axial-AXA1356-Silicone-Shock-Bushing/dp/B0051W7R1M?&tag=arrma-20

For running fast in gravel/loose dirt bumpy areas the Typhon 6s shocks will do well. Tekno SCT410 shocks are another option I can recommend. Both are appropriate lengths for the 3s line. Both come with fairly light springs, which are good for absorbing bumpy areas with speed. They aren't ideal for big jumps, but will handle 2-3 feet in the air.

If you want a jumping/all-rounder option that you won't have to buy additional springs for, many choose Kraton front shocks for the rear of a 3s vehicle (AR330507) and Mojave front shocks for the front (ARA330644). They come with stiffer springs that are much closer to stock 3s shocks. They'll bounce a little more over bumpy areas than lighter springs, but they'll also absorb impact from jumps better.

The best all-round length and stiffness for a 3s basher in my opinion? Typhon 6s shocks with Team Associated RC8B3 Yellow springs (Part Numbers 81226 and 81232). I actually use a different setup. Tekno SCT410 shocks (slightly longer) with very stiff springs. I mainly jump so I sacrificed some handling for better impact absorption.

This is a very useful thread for shock upgrades. You should choose shocks with similar length to your vehicle. (100mm front, 115 rear)
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...d-blx-4s-shock-information-and-upgrades.7413/

Here is another useful thread to know the stiffness of springs.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/arrma-spring-list-chart-for-4s-and-most-6s-vehicles.18704/

Last edited:
For durability, 1/8 scale (16mm bore) shocks are your best bet. Most come with 4mm shock shafts. 1/10 scale shock options often have the same 3mm shock shafts as the 3s line and will not improve durability. You'll also need Axial bushings. 1/8 scale shocks have larger shock mounting holes on top. The bushings will fill in the gap. https://www.amazon.com/Axial-AXA1356-Silicone-Shock-Bushing/dp/B0051W7R1M?&tag=arrma-20

For running fast in gravel/loose dirt bumpy areas the Typhon 6s shocks will do well. Tekno SCT410 shocks are another option I can recommend. Both are appropriate lengths for the 3s line. Both come with fairly light springs, which are good for absorbing bumpy areas with speed. They aren't ideal for big jumps, but will handle 2-3 feet in the air.

If you want a jumping/all-rounder option that you won't have to buy additional springs for, many choose Kraton front shocks for the rear of a 3s vehicle (AR330507) and Mojave front shocks for the front (ARA330644). They come with stiffer springs that are much closer to stock 3s shocks. They'll bounce a little more over bumpy areas than lighter springs, but they'll also absorb impact from jumps better.

The best all-round length and stiffness for a 3s basher in my opinion? Typhon 6s shocks with Team Associated RC8B3 Yellow springs (Part Numbers 81226 and 81232). I actually use a different setup. Tekno SCT410 shocks (slightly longer) with very stiff springs. I mainly jump so I sacrificed some handling for better impact absorption.

This is a very useful thread for shock upgrades. You should choose shocks with similar length to your vehicle. (100mm front, 115 rear)
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...d-blx-4s-shock-information-and-upgrades.7413/

Here is another useful thread to know the stiffness of springs.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/arrma-spring-list-chart-for-4s-and-most-6s-vehicles.18704/
Members of your caliber are what helped me make good decisions many months ago and now. Most the bad ones I make myself. Thanks man it’s nice to be reminded.

Thank you! Very helpful. I'll go with the Typhon 6s shocks. Seems perfect for me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back