Typhon Typhon 6s hoon tire size

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadend9009

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Vorteks
Hey folks,

Just got a 6s Typhon and was shopping for some hoons. I didnt know there were so many sizes and compounds. What is the best size for the Typhon? I see 42/100, but I think it varies? I'm not looking to do 200mph, I just want to parking lot bash it.

Thanks!

Hey folks,

Just got a 6s Typhon and was shopping for some hoons. I didnt know there were so many sizes and compounds. What is the best size for the Typhon? I see 42/100, but I think it varies? I'm not looking to do 200mph, I just want to parking lot bash it.

Thanks!
42/100 is the right size. Hoons are decent. The different compounds are how soft they are.

I've used Power Hobby Grippers too and liked 'em. Hope this helps. 👍 😁 ✌️
Screenshot_20220902-101755_Chrome.jpg

I have the wide rears from the felony on all four corners and they work fine too. I blew one out after 10 or 12 95-100mph runs. I do wonder how the normal ones will compare and will probably try them next.

FYI,,the grps are 98mm,cheaper,stronger an better in every way compared to hoons imo
I second the grp's, you have 7 different compounds to choose from and cheaper.

I know I tried (4) Felony 53/107 mm White wide Hoons and they sucked big time. Looked great on my TLRT, thats about it. GRP's are pretty much the best way. And usually found for less $. HobbyHero sells tons of them. If not truly doing Serious 100+ mph speed passes, most any 42/100 or similar size belted tire will be fine.
Buy cheap if you plan on drifting and burning them up quick. Have spares on the side. Blow outs are common.
Consider "Choons" from Aliexpress. They are inexpensive Arrma Hoon Copy Knock-offs. Popular for bashing around.

Last edited:
I know I tried (4) Felony 53/107 mm White wide Hoons and they sucked big time. Looked great on my TLRT, thats about it. GRP's are pretty much the best way. And usually found for less $. HobbyHero sells tons of them. If not truly doing Serious 100+ mph speed passes, most any 42/100 or similar size belted tire will be fine.
Buy cheap if you plan on drifting and burning them up quick. Have spares on the side. Blow outs are common.
Consider "Choons" from Aliexpress. They are inexpensive Arrma Hoon Copy Knock-offs. Popular for bashing around.
I have a full set of the larger felony rears i may have to put on my typhon and kill. I want to swap my buggy bodied one back to infraction towers/shocks again too. it'll look like it is low as crap with the taller tires sticking up more on the side of the body :unsure:

Yeah those 53 /107's simply don't hook up. No matter what Rig I have them on. And being a wide tire, the front castor angle is way too extreme on the tire's edge in the turns.. Ending up with much Thr. understeer. Since they are Buggy sized diameter wheels , they look nice and in proportion on the Typhon. Just all show, no go. Don't waste your coin on them.

yeah those 53 /107's simply don't hook up. And being a wide tire, the front castor angle is way too extreme on the tire's edge in the turns.. Ending up with much Thr. understeer.
What do you run for diff fluids on road? i need to overhaul my on road typhon and prob should update fluids while i'm at it.
yeah those 53 /107's simply don't hook up. And being a wide tire, the front castor angle is way too extreme on the tire's edge in the turns.. Ending up with much Thr. understeer.
I had plans to do a bug body kinda like what rcdude did but then did that bmw body in the end. My old on road typhon has a max6/1730 hobbystar i may have to yank for a max8 g2 as well

I have my TLRT Typhon setup for 4s packs for confined technical driving. ( HW XR8 Combo 2250) With 4s and 22/50 I am at 58 mph maxed out . So I don't call that speed running, compared to my Lim or Infr.
I kept the stock diff weights in my TLRT. I don't want it to drive any looser with thicker oil. Stock oil for my TLRT "Roller" is 10k, 7k, 10k. (manual states) I believe the RTR TLRT has changed to thicker oils for some odd reason. According to the RTR TLRT manual. Probably same oils as the plain 6s RTR Typhon, shown below.

Cyberweek special price. $80. off discount. This is a superb 6s deal right now. Probably the best bargain Arrma has to offer right now. Costs less than a 4s V2 4x4. Way more bang for the buck with this 6s V5 Typhon below.

https://www.arrma-rc.com/en/product...-with-spektrum-firma-rtr-black/ARA8606V5.html

Last edited:
I have my TLRT Typhon setup for 4s packs for confined technical driving. ( HW XR8 Combo 2250) With 4s and 22/50 I am at 58 mph maxed out . So I don't call that speed running, compared to my Lim or Infr.
I kept the stock diff weights in my TLRT. I don't want it to drive any looser with thicker oil.
Nothing i do will ever be considered techincal by any means but this was my first 6s truck and i kept going thicker and thicker. i think it's 200/1m/100 right now. i'll prob drop it way down then.

Agreed with others...

GRP for bashing and mild 100mph+ speed runs!!!

I run the "XM7 Slicks Hard Rim" on my Felony and Limitless, I have tried all the different GRP's and these are my favorite "runtime/grip/rim stability". Before I exploded at least one Hoons every battery pack and that gets expensive. Now I can always get through a few bash sessions without a single tire blowing up. I've been ordering from hobby heroes "https://www.hobbyheroes.com/" for some time now and its $21.99 a pair. Wayyyy cheaper!!!

Yeah those 53 /107's simply don't hook up. No matter what Rig I have them on. And being a wide tire, the front castor angle is way too extreme on the tire's edge in the turns.. Ending up with much Thr. understeer. Since they are Buggy sized diameter wheels , they look nice and in proportion on the Typhon. Just all show, no go. Don't waste your coin on them.
Interesting. I have pretty much only done speed runs with this typhon and have virtually no experience with on road bashers. Maybe they do suck haha. It’s a typhon with the max6 G2 and the 4990g2 motor. The suspension is really stiff and not great for much besides going straight. It kinda feels like driving a brick. I hit 103 with it and halfway decided that the car just isn’t built for much more speed than that. I just changed gearing to a 25/40 center diff to see how it does just messing around with it now that one of the tires came unglued. I have a feeling it’s still gonna be too fast. I also have the GRP wheels but I haven’t put them on and run them yet.

Edit: I ran it on 4s and it’s a pretty sweet little car. The suspension is far too stiff for a good bashing though. It does 55 on 4s with this gearing. The motor got up to around 147F. I re-glued that one hoon and they were so perfect on 4s. I wish I had changed the tires before putting it back on 8s for a speed run- Because this time it blew out the whole rim at 79Mph haha. I still don’t know how fast it’ll go at full throttle but the hypothesis was accurate- it’s still too fast lol. I’m going to try to get access to a small runway near me and give it some proper speed running.
I’m sorry if it seems as though I’ve highjacked this thread. Wanted to talk about my car but not sure how to start a good thread about it. I will try to take some good pictures of my car and my progress with it and start one.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back