Typhon Typhon mega brushless upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voicemaster

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Senton 6s
Hi, I am a newbie to RC world. I just bought a typhon mega about 2 weeks ago and I am thinking of upgrading it to a brushless system. I found the acceleration on the brushed motor is quite good, but the top speed is really slow thus why I was thinking of upgrading to a "mild" brushless system. I do have another car (senton 3s blx) and that thing is plenty fast for me with 2s lipo. I will only use my 2s lipo with it and I've been looking for a budget motor and ESC combo. This is the combo that I am interested in https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XXG943...JL&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it#customerReviews
Is this combo will be faster in the top speed than the brushed system? My target speed is about 30mph. Do I need to change the pinion gear or I can use the same one that came with the brushed motor?

Thank you,
Mike

Give it a try. Seems a bit under amped at 60 amps ESC for a 4wd rig. Remember also, that price equates to quality here. Others will hopefully chime in.

The 3100kv, stock 14t pinion on 2s will only give you around the same as brushed speed. On 2s you would have to gear that motor a lot taller to get around 30mph. 3s lipo and a 17t (have to jump up to 27 from there with the fixed mount holes) pinion with that 3100kv motor should get you around where you want to be. The stock mount limits pinion choices so recommend buying an adjustable motor mount but also 17t HD input gears because the stock inputs (in the Megas) have plastic shafts.

Cheap combos can work but esc reliability is hit and miss. With Amazon Prime though I guess your good for 30days for returns.

Just finish installing the brushless system into my typhon mega.
20200708_134918.jpg

Watch the temp of that motor when you run it. Those 3650 motors are more of a 2WD buggy or short course truck motor so on a 4x4 they are a bit underpowered. With 4300kv you are set up for speed at loss of torque so being a smallish motor with a high kv that motor is going to be working pretty hard to push that truck around. Run it for 5 mins like normal then stop and put your finger on the motor and if it's almost too hot to touch then you'll want to add a fan or go with a smaller pinion gear to help it along.

Watch the temp of that motor when you run it. Those 3650 motors are more of a 2WD buggy or short course truck motor so on a 4x4 they are a bit underpowered. With 4300kv you are set up for speed at loss of torque so being a smallish motor with a high kv that motor is going to be working pretty hard to push that truck around. Run it for 5 mins like normal then stop and put your finger on the motor and if it's almost too hot to touch then you'll want to add a fan or go with a smaller pinion gear to help it along.
Sorry for the newb questions, how do you add fan to the motor? What I mean is where can I plug the power from the fan?
I did check mine time after time and even after a full session using 8000mah 2s lipo, I can still touch the motor just fine. It is hot but not overly hot. Also, I play mostly in flat field (running track and football field.

Sorry for the newb questions, how do you add fan to the motor? What I mean is where can I plug the power from the fan?
I did check mine time after time and even after a full session using 8000mah 2s lipo, I can still touch the motor just fine. It is hot but not overly hot. Also, I play mostly in flat field (running track and football field.
Heatsink and fan are pretty easy to install. They power off any unused pins on the receiver or if no unused pins then use a Y splitter cable to split one of the set of pins into 2 off the receiver or run the splitter off the esc fan pins. If wires are too short then they make extension cables for that.

20200708_142848.jpg

Heatsink and fan are pretty easy to install. They power off any unused pins on the receiver or if no unused pins then use a Y splitter cable to split one of the set of pins into 2 off the receiver or run the splitter off the esc fan pins. If wires are too short then they make extension cables for that.

View attachment 88727
By the way, when plugging the connector to the receiver, most of fan connector is 2pin, so I only need to plug it to the +/- pin right?

If I change the pinion gear to 14t, do I need to change the spur gear also or its still okay using the stock one?
I forget what pinion sizes the stock mega motor mount has for preset holes for but if it has a preset for 14T then you don't need to change the spur gear as long as the pinion is the same tooth pitch as the spur (48p)

You will need to accommodate any heat issues with gearing down to a smaller pinion. As a rule. Get a Temp gun. Get accurate temp. referencing. Touching is not the way to do it. Use a temp gun to gauge temps and also touch to feel the reads, then over time you will be able to touch and tell if you are too hot or not. A motor's temp. reading of 150F and above is generally no good for a 36mm can size motor. Your kv's may be a bit too high for 4wd. But you can work around it hopefully. Outside ambient temps vary and so will your motor and ESC temps. Using a cheap temp gun really helps sort things out.
Take temp readings of your Motor, ESC, Lipo and wires/connectors every so often and allow cool downs with fans running. Warm to hot wiring/connectors is definitely a sign of an issue with Amp draw/load and improper gearing. Just some ideas as a starting point.:cool:

You will need to accommodate any heat issues with gearing down to a smaller pinion. As a rule. Get a Temp gun. Get accurate temp. referencing. Touching is not the way to do it. Use a temp gun to gauge temps and also touch to feel the reads, then over time you will be able to touch and tell if you are too hot or not. A motor's temp. reading of 150F and above is generally no good for a 36mm can size motor. Your kv's may be a bit too high for 4wd. But you can work around it hopefully. Outside ambient temps vary and so will your motor and ESC temps. Using a cheap temp gun really helps sort things out.
Take temp readings of your Motor, ESC, Lipo and wires/connectors every so often and allow cool downs with fans running. Warm to hot wiring/connectors is definitely a sign of an issue with Amp draw/load and improper gearing. Just some ideas as a starting point.:cool:
Yeah I have ordered a temp gun from amazon.

I did test run my typhon today and also brought my temp gun. I bought a heatsink and fan combo for the motor. I checked the temp on my motor after 15 min just running around in a track field and the temp is around 110-120F at the motor and 100-105F at the ESC. It was around 90F ambient temperature outside. Is those temperature acceptable? I think it was way hotter before I installed the heatsink and fan combo.
Oh and what motor and ESC you recommend for typhon mega? Is 60A ESC sufficient if I only want to use 2s lipo and how much KV is suitable for stock pinion gear? Thank you

Last edited:
Those temps are fine. Stay the course. I don't own a Mega, but if I do the math with 2s, a 36mm BLX motor should be closer to 3000kv with a 4wd 1/10 scale rig. Others may have more practical experience with the Mega's gearing and its limits.:cool:

Those temps are fine. Stay the course. I don't own a Mega, but if I do the math with 2s, a 36mm BLX motor should be closer to 3000kv with a 4wd 1/10 scale rig. Others may have more practical experience with the Mega's gearing and its limits.:cool:
If I get a 3670 2650kv motor, can I use a 17t pinion and will it be better than my current setup (3650 4300kv with 14t pinion)?

My RC logic says 2s, 2650kv with a 17T would be fine. Probably run cooler. There is gobs of torque in this setup. At least on paper it really looks that way. The longer can(70mm)will tend to give much more torque. Probably more headroom for an even taller gear ratio. Hopefully others can give more you practical experience.:cool:

My RC logic says 2s, 2650kv with a 17T would be fine. Probably run cooler. There is gobs of torque in this setup. At least on paper it really looks that way. The longer can(70mm)will tend to give much more torque. Probably more headroom for an even taller gear ratio. Hopefully others can give more you practical experience.:cool:
The higher the gear ratio, the higher the top speed right?

So I changed the motor, esc and pinion to 3670 2350kv, 120A esc and 17t pinion. The torque is awesome, acceleration is great, but the top speed still lacking especially when using 2s lipo. I did try using 3s lipo and it was definitely faster. I checked the temp after running 90% full throttle using 3s lipo for about 3 laps on a football field (turf) and the temp measure around 120-125F at the motor, 105-107F at ESC, cable and battery around 90-100F with ambient temp at 83F. Using 2s is not as hot as using 3s. Should I changed the pinion to 27t and I will upgrade the fan to a much faster one too?
20200715_183511.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back