Ultimaker Cura 5.6.0 // Freezing on Launch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tex Koder

2D , 3D Not a problem. I'll take that Challenge.
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Mojave
  5. Nero
  6. Senton 3s
  7. Typhon 6s
  8. Vendetta
It just happened today and I'm unable to get to the standard UI screen.

When I try to launch the program, it starts the small blue splash window and hangs immediately...

With "initializing package manager..."
on the lower left of that window.
IMG_20240303_232142120.jpg

Windows 10 version 22H2 ,64-bit
32GB RAM
500GB NVME

• Rebooted the computer a couple of times.
  • Checked to make sure I have all the latest Windows Updates, patches, drivers etc.
  • Have already tried to Uninstall and Reinstall fresh copy of Cura 5.6

No Bueno! Still does the exact Same thing.

Can't seem to find any solutions on GitHub at the moment for this issue..

Was wondering if anyone may have a bit more insight and point me the way to fix this problem.

Thank you in advance to any feedback/suggestions.

Last edited:
I thought you were already running 5.6..🤔

I was running 5.4 ,which actually took me a long while to convert to(after it was originally released)..
I had been working with 5.3 for the longest time.

Only upgraded to 5.6.0 just 3 days ago. Thinking i should upgrade "quicker" this time around...
My Mistake!

I'll make some fresh coffee and try to figure this out..

Last edited:
I was running 5.4 ,which actually took me a long while to convert to(after it was originally released)..
I had been working with 5.3 for the longest time.

Only upgraded to 5.6.0 just 3 days ago. Thinking i should upgrade "quicker" this time around...
My Mistake!

I'll make some fresh coffee and try to figure this out..

Kind of seems like there are some missing drivers or something.. mine takes right off.. 🤔

Both my laptop & PC do that with 5.6. I just click thru the prompt & it opens then. And will be fine for several times then do it again. Idk. I was waiting to see of they did a patch or update before I bought a KE printer, it's not in the 5.6 list, but SE is.

Both my laptop & PC do that with 5.6. I just click thru the prompt & it opens then. And will be fine for several times then do it again. Idk. I was waiting to see of they did a patch or update before I bought a KE printer, it's not in the 5.6 list, but SE is.

Okay.
So I figured out a few things and have gotten Cura 5.6 back up and running
-as of last night and wanted to give it a decent shake down (just to be sure it's going to work reliably) Before I post what seemed to have worked.

The Problem:
For anyone experiencing such a Lockup/Freeze (But NOT a Crash) right after launching Cura 5.6.0

After a few moments.. if you click on the splash screen again you're only given the choice to "Close Application" or "Wait for program to complete".

The Solution:
You need to delete the Cura config files
[However that will in essence Erase Any and All previous settings, plugins, and custom codes you have added to the program. Just a heads-up.]

So, I would advise that you make a Backup of it BEFORE proceeding.

1. Open a Windows Explorer window

2. Goto the Address bar ,type- %AppData%

Look for a folder called "cura"
You should rename it to something else, ex: cura_BACKUP

Close this window

3. Uninstall Cura completely and
then re-install it.

This will get program to run once again.

But, you will have to go through the initial configurations wizard to add your printer profile.

I skipped over 5.4 since it doesn't support the new tree support settings.
I decided to give 5.5 a try with the new skin surface features.. That didn't go well.. It decided that the initial layer is going to run at normal print speed no matter what..
So I turned off those features and tried another test print.. Downfall is once I enabled them and then turned them back off, it didn't change, Cura has a way of keeping the variable setting activated even though you disable them via the settings window (Control+J)...
So I tried on the laptop with a test print just to see if it was a glitch or a bad install.. Same thing again...
I had to do a full deep scrub uninstall of Cura 5.5 on the PC's just to rid it of any chance of the problems. Luckily I keep backups of my print settings in the format and also as a PDF.
Back to 5.3 alpha (w/ tree supports)..

Then I tried Cura 5.6 when it came out and it was doing ok with the list of extensions I was using (I made sure to keep all the 5.5 skin surface additions turned off and hidden) .... Until I decided to DL the Cura infill creator extension, after that it crashed and never wanted to work again.. I tried it on both of my PC's just to see if it was a glitch.. Happened on both again..
Deep scrub uninstall again...

So back to 5.3 alpha.. So far it's the only version that I find is stable enough to do what I need it to do without problems, not crashing with any extensions I install, nor print settings and utilizes the improved tree supports..

I need to add an addendum -

So in addition to all the Windows patches, critical updates, and drivers mentioned above..
You Must Also make sure ALL related Firmware AND Chipset drivers** for your PC or Laptop are installed too.

I had it freeze up again (after doing the deep clean uninstall & Re-install of Cura 5.6)
With Only the basic Windows critical updates and patches...

It was ONLY After updating my system Firmware and Chipset drivers (under the Options Drivers drop down panel of Windows Update) did I experience a Working AND Stable operations of Cura 5.6

Usually I tend to Not do those kinds of "Optional " Firmware and Chipset drivers installs when the computer is running fine.
So I took a gamble and it seemed to have resolved the Cura freeze problem.

Last edited:
Back