Infraction Upgraded Infraction question on gearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtrxD

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Typhon 3s
Hello and glad to find this forum. I'm new to getting back into cars. My wife and I bash together at a local movie parking lot. She has a 3S Typhon, and I have the Infraction. I left both of our machines stock until 3 days ago(with the exception of were both running grp S5 rubber slicks).

I upgraded the infraction to 22 tooth pinion, and it was the first time the speed control thermalled. I am used to flying with castle speed controllers, so I purchased the castle MM8S, along with(i think this is the correct number of the motor) a hobbywing 3680 2200KV motor. I have always run 6S 50C dual 3S packs in the vehicle. But, with this change in electronics, the car has, or seems to have so much more power(it's so much that if I stab the throttle holding the car, the grps are actually ballooning hard) .

On the ground, even if I'm going maybe 1/3 throttle, if I peg it, the car is fishtailing hard(I honestly didn't think it would be this much of a difference, because I thought the stock motor was 2200KV also). It hooks up after about 5 to 10 feet, so it's not completely out of control.

So, and I have the 22 tooth still in there, I'm wondering with this new setup and it's jump in performance, should I just throw the optional 27 tooth on the car? I'm still running everything else stock(difs, oil in the difs, etc). I also know I need to buy both a little Harbor Freight temp gun, along with a little gps speedometer.

But just wondering what's the opinion of folks that have had this vehicle for a while and have bumped up motors and speed controls, along with other options..

Thanks much

Too late for that, it's in the car and soldered. I might have the number wrong, because I'm going off the top of my head versus going to look at the box.

But.. I was going to do a castle, but upon the suggestions of my lhs(2 of them),I trust their recommendations. It's probably i have the number wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the suggestion. But I'm wondering/questions more about the gearing with the added performance..

Thicker diff oil all around and turn the punch way down

Lol, you know, the funny thing, now that you mentioned it, is that, the punch is already set to low. But I will see if there's anything in the link software that is lower.

And I think I read 100k(front and back),1 million(middle)?

Too late for that, it's in the car and soldered. I might have the number wrong, because I'm going off the top of my head versus going to look at the box.

But.. I was going to do a castle, but upon the suggestions of my lhs(2 of them),I trust their recommendations. It's probably i have the number wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the suggestion. But I'm wondering/questions more about the gearing with the added performance..
Maybe a 4080......

Ah. I forgot what someone mentioned on a YouTube video about people and their "speed secrets". I probably should have remembered that from the start. Oh well, I'll just have fun with the vehicle as it's not that deep for me.. Anyhow, thanks...
Maybe a 4080......
I will check it in a little bit(I have to get under my train layout to check... ugh.. roll eyes at myself...).. I just know it's louder, a ton faster on the ground(at least the short time I've run it since the upgrade), and I'm going to buy a temp gun today to see about motor and esc temps.

But the esc fan as far as I know hasn't even kicked on while running..

Last edited:
Ah. I forgot what someone mentioned on a YouTube video about people and their "speed secrets". I probably should have remembered that from the start. Oh well, I'll just have fun with the vehicle as it's not that deep for me.. Anyhow, thanks...

I will check it in a little bit(I have to get under my train layout to check... ugh.. roll eyes at myself...).. I just know it's louder, a ton faster on the ground(at least the short time I've run it since the upgrade), and I'm going to buy a temp gun today to see about motor and esc temps.

But the esc fan as far as I know hasn't even kicked on while running..

Overpower, it's actually a 4268 2200kv

I was going to put that motor in my 1/10 4-tec!!!???
Hmm. I'm new to the large car game(actually the whole brushless car game, as I fly planes and helicopters).

OK, checked on the motor(4985) with other threads. May have to pull the plug on it. Question though, what pinion to start with? And does it fit the chassis and motor mount without any modifications?

It'd be nice if one of my local hobby shops has it..

Last edited:
Hmm. No one locally had that motor. What about a castle 1515?

You mentioned speed. Are you looking to do speed runs and go beyond 100mph? The 1515 is pretty good, but there are better motors to be had.
Also are you aware than you can only do 1-2 passes with a speed setup before it needs a cool down?

I would recommend picking up an IR Temp gun. Motors can run safely in the 120-180 F. range but beyond that the magnets can get damaged.

If you are interested in going fast you have the correct ESC for the job. The MMX8s is a great ESC!

If you are looking to "bash" for 10-15 minutes then you will want a gearing ideal for 65mph or less to keep the motor from over heating.

The 1515 would be a good start buy multiple gears and switch them up 15t-27t

OK thanks. Will pull the plug on it..

Start with the stock 18 tooth correct? Or should I just throw in the 22 I am running now?

I'm excited because it's sensored and I love that feature..
You mentioned speed. Are you looking to do speed runs and go beyond 100mph? The 1515 is pretty good, but there are better motors to be had.
Also are you aware than you can only do 1-2 passes with a speed setup before it needs a cool down?

I would recommend picking up an IR Temp gun. Motors can run safely in the 120-180 F. range but beyond that the magnets can get damaged.

If you are interested in going fast you have the correct ESC for the job. The MMX8s is a great ESC!

If you are looking to "bash" for 10-15 minutes then you will want a gearing ideal for 65mph or less to keep the motor from over heating.

Lol, yep.. I picked up a temp gun a few days ago for the hobbywing. With the yeah racing dual cooler I was getting about 140F after a 4 minute run with the 22 pinion.

I'm actually wanting a bit of a mix. I want the speed, not over 100, but not to where I can only do 1 or two passes. My wife and I run together(in a movie theater parking lot) , but of course I want as fast as i can get. If could get it in the 75mph(if higher, I won't complain) range for a 5000 pack for a couple of minutes(4 to 5), I'll for sure be easy on the motor, taking breaks..

Let me go pick up this can right quick.. And I'll read the replies when I get back.. I realize this is an odd query, so i thank you all for all the replies and guidance..

Last edited:
I ended up ordering a TP Power 4040 3770kv and the Hobbywing 4985. Never hurts to have another couple motors for versatility.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back