Vorteks Vortek Mega 550 - Constant Parts Breakage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcolaco

Reaction score
Bought my 12 yr old a Brushed 4x2 1/10 Boost Vortek Mega 550
This one ... https://www.arrma-rc.com/en/product...rushed-stadium-truck-rtr-red/ARA4105V4T1.html

Love the car. Don't like that parts keep breaking at the rate of 1 part per every 3 hrs of usage.
My son is a bit of a reckless driver and hits curbs, jumps concrete steps and sometimes hits concrete walls
Everything else is off of dirt and grass.
He has gotten much better with his driving skills but will occasionally hit a curb or post somewhere but the car seems very fragile
I tell him not to bump into everything and his answer is that its supposed to be a basher car

In the 1 month since we've owned the car, we've...
1] broken both front shocks
2] lost the springs
3] broke the front suspension arms and
4] several composite links. Let me just say that the composite links are easy to replace but the pivot shock balls are painful to insert back through the eyelets.

Questions:
1 = Is there a aftermarket bumper I can get that'll absorb a lot more shock than the stock bumper ARA320638 that doesn't seem to be doing a good enough job in absorbing head on shock as well as I think it could and not cause parts to keep breaking.
2 = Are all Arrma cars built the same in terms of resilience? Or are some models designed to take on more shock without breaking compared to others?

Bought my 12 yr old a Brushed 4x2 1/10 Boost Vortek Mega 550
This one ... https://www.arrma-rc.com/en/product...rushed-stadium-truck-rtr-red/ARA4105V4T1.html

Love the car. Don't like that parts keep breaking at the rate of 1 part per every 3 hrs of usage.
My son is a bit of a reckless driver and hits curbs, jumps concrete steps and sometimes hits concrete walls
Everything else is off of dirt and grass.
He has gotten much better with his driving skills but will occasionally hit a curb or post somewhere but the car seems very fragile
I tell him not to bump into everything and his answer is that its supposed to be a basher car

In the 1 month since we've owned the car, we've...
1] broken both front shocks
2] lost the springs
3] broke the front suspension arms and
4] several composite links. Let me just say that the composite links are easy to replace but the pivot shock balls are painful to insert back through the eyelets.

Questions:
1 = Is there a aftermarket bumper I can get that'll absorb a lot more shock than the stock bumper ARA320638 that doesn't seem to be doing a good enough job in absorbing head on shock as well as I think it could and not cause parts to keep breaking.
2 = Are all Arrma cars built the same in terms of resilience? Or are some models designed to take on more shock without breaking compared to others?

For question #2. Every car is different, but the Mega line is smaller, lighter and tends to be more durable and you are in the right space. Also being 2S helps keep the speed (energy) down as well.

The reason things are breaking is it's a basher not a crasher and they are not meant to take constant impacts on the body and bumpers. Crashing occasionally shouldn't be an issue, but every impact weakens the parts just a bit and they will break. Constant abuse will break anything.

People watch Youtube and it looks so easy. But driving them fast, jumping them and doing crazy stuff takes practice. I would start in an open field and setup soft obstacles for him to learn control. Then maybe a few small, like 6", jumps and keep him away from skateparks and BMX tracks until he is much more skilled.

Back