Kraton Wanted: An ESC fan that is not trash

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not run them off a separate LiPo?
I did that too a while but i was strapping it in under the velcro with the 6s pack. It was more clutter under the body and a little more weight. I was running them off the balance plug on a 1300mah battery but i got tired of putting the plugs on the wires and started doing the xt60's to the main battery leads. Then it graduated to some little $10 drone bec's that worked ok but some of them would get stupid hot and cut out. Then it went to the castle bec's, the waterproof 2.0's on the rigs i expected to get wet and the regulars for the ones i baby a little more. I did voltage tests on the mini 3s to see how many times i could run it before it was at what would have been lvc and it was usually 3-4 packs but i never liked being unsure without running one of those little lipo checkers off the balance plug, which added more crap under the body bouncing around.

I did that too a while but i was strapping it in under the velcro with the 6s pack. It was more clutter under the body and a little more weight. I was running them off the balance plug on a 1300mah battery but i got tired of putting the plugs on the wires and started doing the xt60's to the main battery leads. Then it graduated to some little $10 drone bec's that worked ok but some of them would get stupid hot and cut out. Then it went to the castle bec's, the waterproof 2.0's on the rigs i expected to get wet and the regulars for the ones i baby a little more. I did voltage tests on the mini 3s to see how many times i could run it before it was at what would have been lvc and it was usually 3-4 packs but i never liked being unsure without running one of those little lipo checkers off the balance plug, which added more crap under the body bouncing around.
Not sure if you seen this, I posted it earlier today. I have one of those chargers with the balance plug extension so that 1300mah LiPo lives in the car. I also have a LiPo checker on that battery too.

Last edited:
Not sure if you seen this, I posted it earlier today. I have one of those charges with the balance plug extension so that 1300mah LiPo lives in the car. I also have a LiPo checker on that battery too.
Right on, i hadn't seen it. I had to look on my phone, i guess work blocks some of the videos and attachments in posts :unsure: :unsure:

We have 8 different Aarma and Traxxas trucks. One thing I have found that they all have in common…..ESC and motor fans are trash. A few jumps and the blades break or the fan comes apart.

I have tried different manufacturers, but am sick of paying $15-$30 to replace a fan every 2 months or so.

I had a brand new one bust 2 blades last night, and the truck wasn’t even being jumped!

I am looking for some heavy duty, maybe even metal blade, fans that aren’t POS wastes of money. Any suggestions?
Yea for real.... what he said I'm struggling with that too.

I never have a problem with metal framed fans like the one I linked below. I jump my trucks and I've still not broken one of these fan blades yet. I'm not sure how having a metal frame has anything to do with stopping fan blades from breaking but it works lol. And this is coming from someone who just broke a fan blade on mmx8s esc fan on the very first run of my kraton ON THE STREET.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FYZVC85?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

I never have a problem with metal framed fans like the one I linked below. I jump my trucks and I've still not broken one of these fan blades yet. I'm not sure how having a metal frame has anything to do with stopping fan blades from breaking but it works lol. And this is coming from someone who just broke a fan blade on mmx8s esc fan on the very first run of my kraton ON THE STREET.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FYZVC85?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
I also have a kraton with a mmx8s and the fan in that also isn't working but that speed control seems to not get as hit to begin with I got new fans coming for that castle sent me a couple free ones. My girlfriends notrious fans are killing me tho, that link is for a 40mm will that fit the stock esc? I am thinking about maybe just upgrading her esc to something with a 40mm fan stock so when it breaks I can use a fan like that and have it fir, and hopefully being bigger the heat won't be as bad idk? What do you think

I also have a kraton with a mmx8s and the fan in that also isn't working but that speed control seems to not get as hit to begin with I got new fans coming for that castle sent me a couple free ones. My girlfriends notrious fans are killing me tho, that link is for a 40mm will that fit the stock esc? I am thinking about maybe just upgrading her esc to something with a 40mm fan stock so when it breaks I can use a fan like that and have it fir, and hopefully being bigger the heat won't be as bad idk? What do you think
I don't know if you know but the mmx8s fan only comes on when the esc hits a certain temp so it can appear to not be working. It should turn on when you turn the esc on with a radio powered on just to let you know if it's working or not then it turns off.

The stock spektrum esc needs a 35mm fan like this. I actually am using this cheap non metal one on a max6 in a kraton and it hasn't broken yet lol.

I'm not sure how having a metal frame has anything to do with stopping fan blades from breaking but it works lol.

I'll bet the blades break when the frame undergoes strain, putting it in the rotational path of the blades and they then impact it at high speed. Aluminum is more rigid (higher elastic modulus) so under the same stress it will distort less and the blades will be kept away from it. Maybe.

My issue with the aluminum fans is they all seem to draw half an amp and spin at speeds that will give me flashbacks to working in a server room. I don't need that, but I'd like the theoretical durability improvement. Is there one that spins at a nice non-tinnitus-inducing 4k RPM or so like the stock fan without having to rig up some power regulation circuitry that I would undoubtedly screw up building?

I'll bet the blades break when the frame undergoes strain, putting it in the rotational path of the blades and they then impact it at high speed. Aluminum is more rigid (higher elastic modulus) so under the same stress it will distort less and the blades will be kept away from it. Maybe.

My issue with the aluminum fans is they all seem to draw half an amp and spin at speeds that will give me flashbacks to working in a server room. I don't need that, but I'd like the theoretical durability improvement. Is there one that spins at a nice non-tinnitus-inducing 4k RPM or so like the stock fan without having to rig up some power regulation circuitry that I would undoubtedly screw up building?
That makes a lot of sense. I'm also not sure about your problem other than lowering the bec voltage on your esc to lower fan output. That will also effect your servo though but if it's a rig that uses small tires I doubt it would matter as much.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back