Outcast What can the Outcast do the the Kraton can't

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maregan

Reaction score
Having a really hard time deciding between the Outcast and the Kraton. Longtime rc (big heli, rock crawlers and drones) and tend to enjoy more technical driving etc. I have a couple acres, so plenty of room.

After watching alot of videos, it seems that the outcast can just flip easier due to short wheel base.

Can the Kraton be dialed in to be outcast like, double front/back flips?

Does the Kraton just need more room?

Or rather, can you dial the Outcast I To be more kraton like?

Cheers and thanks for the dialog/ideas.

Having a really hard time deciding between the Outcast and the Kraton. Longtime rc (big heli, rock crawlers and drones) and tend to enjoy more technical driving etc. I have a couple acres, so plenty of room.

After watching alot of videos, it seems that the outcast can just flip easier due to short wheel base.

Can the Kraton be dialed in to be outcast like, double front/back flips?

Does the Kraton just need more room?

Or rather, can you dial the Outcast I To be more kraton like?

Cheers and thanks for the dialog/ideas.

I bought the Outcast and now I wish I bought the Kraton. The short wheel base of the Outcast does allow it to do front and back flips easier. You can backflip it off of almost anything. Haha but I got together with some of my buddies and we took some orange cones and made a track so we could race each other and The Outcast just isn't made for that. Everyone had me off the line cause the Outcast just wanted to wheelie and flip over. The Kraton is a great basher from the videos I've seen and much more of a track racer than the Outcast. The Kraton can do backflips pretty easily. It doesn't wheelie like the Outcast but it can be dialed in to do so. I find it hard to get the Outcast up to top speed cause the front end just wants to come up. There's tons of videos on YouTube of people doing flips and stunts with the Kraton.

Get the Kraton,, it’s one of the best truggys out their. I have 3-4 SWB Truggys, their fun, but truggys are beter

I’d start with kraton man. I have both and outcast is fun but the wheelie happy aspect gets old fast. It’s more fun to be able to put the power down when you want to. Kraton will wheelie and flip plenty well to keep you happy. Just gotta tune the pinion and tires to get it to flip more or less.

I prefer my Kraton, but the outcast is fun :)Daughter got the outcast for the holidays and has a great time. It does like to wheelie all the time but teaches her throttle control ;)

She is running 16/50 pinion/spur, 6s, stock esc/motor.

I don't have much experience with both. Still new to the game. For first impressions, the kraton gave me a big ass smile when I first used it. The outcast made me giggle like a school girl. The thing is just fun

Thanks for all the info - I will go Kraton.

What are the top 3 components to upgrade or prepare to replace? (wheelie bar, bumpers? etc).

What service related items to knock out - diff oil? If so, what weights? Shims needed? and if so, which ones?

Batteries - What brands are you running that are good quality and value.

Cheers,

Last edited:

What are the top 3 components to upgrade or prepare to replace? (wheelie bar, bumpers? etc).

What service related items to knock out - diff oil? If so, what weights? Shims needed? and if so, which ones?

Cheers,

This thread answered my questions - https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/recommended-arrma-kraton-upgrades.819/

Looks to be T-Bone bumpers and maybe the RPM wing? Anything to add?

For batteries, looking like HK Graphene dual 3s or single 4/6s @ 5000mah +/- : Maybe the SMC as well? I am sure big 6S batteries can wreak havoc on a crash...

Cheers,

Yeah you got a good handle on things. I’d say the chassis braces in aluminum if you’re jumping. Bumpers are a great upgrade to start with mainly the front. Check the kraton forums there is a whole thread dedicated to diff upgrades, it’s a really important upgrade for bulletproofing.

I bought the Outcast and now I wish I bought the Kraton.

What's funny is I almost bought your Outcast but then decided to buy the Kraton with the more research I did for most of the reasons you listed.

I also have two stampede 4x4 vxls and thought it would be nice to do something a little different and not just monster truck.

What's funny is I almost bought your Outcast but then decided to buy the Kraton with the more research I did for most of the reasons you listed.

I also have two stampede 4x4 vxls and thought it would be nice to do something a little different and not just monster truck.

Haha Looks like nobody even wants to make an offer on it. Guess I'll have to keep it and beat the snot out of it. I started saving for the Kraton but I'm not able to put that much money away each week. It might end up being a Merry Christmas present to myself this winter. Haha :)

It's probably a personal preference.

I like my trucks a bit on the twitchy side, so if there's a "short" version, it's what I go for. Mine will never see a track in any form other than bashing. So track handling doesn't matter a bit to me.

The shorter chassis also allows cartwheels to be less damaging. Having a truck that is dimensions that are more "square" allows for a higher likelihood of walking away from bad cartwheel landings. With a longer wheel base, your more likely to break an arm.

Also, the shorter truck fits in my carry bag better. :) lol!

I have a savage flux hp, which is the "short" version. It's more tippy than the outcast due to a higher COG. My brushless revo is similar in dimensions, but lower CG than the savage. It's still more tippy than the outcast when turning. I was running the same wheels/tires on all 3, pro-line trencher 3.8's, but I wasn't able to gear the outcast at a speed I wanted without overheating. So now I'm running traxxas emaxx 3.3 tires/wheels on it which seems to have helped my overheating. However, trenchers made it much easier to flip and made it more likely to tip when cornering. Now I really have to work at doing a single flip off jumps that before I could double flip with the same effort.

Running 4S in my trucks probably makes them less fussy to drive as well. My buddy with a talion runs 6S and his is a real handful at anything over 1/2 throttle, whereas as long as I ease off the line a little bit, I can hit WOT on pretty much any terrain I run in, grass or skate park. He has to feather his a lot more or he pulls hard wheelies when he doesn't want to or over rotates flips a lot.

It's probably a personal preference.

I like my trucks a bit on the twitchy side, so if there's a "short" version, it's what I go for. Mine will never see a track in any form other than bashing. So track handling doesn't matter a bit to me.

The shorter chassis also allows cartwheels to be less damaging. Having a truck that is dimensions that are more "square" allows for a higher likelihood of walking away from bad cartwheel landings. With a longer wheel base, your more likely to break an arm.

Also, the shorter truck fits in my carry bag better. :) lol!

I have a savage flux hp, which is the "short" version. It's more tippy than the outcast due to a higher COG. My brushless revo is similar in dimensions, but lower CG than the savage. It's still more tippy than the outcast when turning. I was running the same wheels/tires on all 3, pro-line trencher 3.8's, but I wasn't able to gear the outcast at a speed I wanted without overheating. So now I'm running traxxas emaxx 3.3 tires/wheels on it which seems to have helped my overheating. However, trenchers made it much easier to flip and made it more likely to tip when cornering. Now I really have to work at doing a single flip off jumps that before I could double flip with the same effort.

Running 4S in my trucks probably makes them less fussy to drive as well. My buddy with a talion runs 6S and his is a real handful at anything over 1/2 throttle, whereas as long as I ease off the line a little bit, I can hit WOT on pretty much any terrain I run in, grass or skate park. He has to feather his a lot more or he pulls hard wheelies when he doesn't want to or over rotates flips a lot.

Have you driven the Typhon? I can’t get over how much I like it...:maybe better than my Kraton. It definitely jumps better and it handles a million times better. It just can’t take rough terrain like the Kraton. But since you like a short wheelbase, I bet you would love the Typhon.

Have you driven the Typhon? I can’t get over how much I like it...:maybe better than my Kraton. It definitely jumps better and it handles a million times better. It just can’t take rough terrain like the Kraton. But since you like a short wheelbase, I bet you would love the Typhon.
Yeah, about once every 3 years, I buy a 1/8th buggy... then the single speed and low ground clearance puts it back on my shelf for a couple years and I sell it. Granted, that was nitro, but the some of the short comings of a buggy are the same regardless of propulsion. The front tower being exposed and low ground clearance are things I don't care for. The toughness is hard to ignore though. Short arms, smaller wheels, flat chassis... they are just designed tough from the core on out.

I started with a Kraton and converted to Outcast, still have the Kraton parts but never went back. Kraton is for larger areas with lots of speed and more handling. Outcast is better in smaller areas with interesting terrain, jumping and flipping and just general goofing off.

Kraton is more of a Swiss Army knife and is more well rounded. But the Outcast shines in the air and is currently my favourite of all my Arrmas. Plus the Outcast requires more skill to pilot properly and keeps things interesting.

Last edited:
Kraton would be my guess. Do what I did and buy a typhon roller and you can make it into and outcast or make it a little wider with some 2.8 and also have your short wheelbase basher with the option of always turning it back into a buggy

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back