What is your process with New Filament

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Granite
  3. Granite Mega
  4. Infraction
  5. Mojave EXB
  6. Nero
  7. Notorious
  8. Typhon 3s
When you are using a filament you've never used before what are your steps to get it dialed in.

Do you just try printing a part and adjust from there?

Do you make a bunch of calibration parts first? Do you have an order of how you like to do it? Ex. Temp than speed, then retraction,then flow etc?

I've printed a bunch so far and am still being surprised. Yesterday I printed a hollow cube to test the wall thickness. It came out a little oversized. Then out of curiosity I ran it again but 15 deg cooler and it printed right on size.

When you are using a filament you've never used before what are your steps to get it dialed in.

Do you just try printing a part and adjust from there?

Do you make a bunch of calibration parts first? Do you have an order of how you like to do it? Ex. Temp than speed, then retraction,then flow etc?

I've printed a bunch so far and am still being surprised. Yesterday I printed a hollow cube to test the wall thickness. It came out a little oversized. Then out of curiosity I ran it again but 15 deg cooler and it printed right on size.

Each filament is different, even the same exact filament but with a different color will behave differently.
Each printer using said filament is different too..

So do several prints of a part (that you are Very familiar with) and see how it turns out using the new filament ,then calibrate/fine-tune accordingly.

Each filament is different, even the same exact filament but with a different color will behave differently.
Each printer using said filament is different too..

So do several prints of a part (that you are Very familiar with) and see how it turns out using the new filament ,then calibrate/fine-tune accordingly.
Thanks. I wouldn't have thought that color would effect the print. 👍👍

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back