What retains front driveshafts in the steering knuckle cup?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davkhow

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a Kraton 6s V2, I think. The front drive shafts have a cup on the wheel side and the drive shaft has a ball with a fixed pin just like the other side that goes into the diff out drive.

I took it all apart and now when reassembling, I don’t know what retained that drive shaft. It will drive for a little while then the drive shaft will fly out.

I know before it stayed in when it popped out because I had to do a fix to keep that from happening.

All of the parts diagrams I’ve been able to find have it looking like the rear where there is a pin holding it in place. The pin is kept secure by the wheel bearing.

Does anyone know what I’m missing?

Also, does anyone know where I could find the older version of the exploded parts diagram for the V2?

image.jpg

image.jpg

That pin you see in diagrams is for the CVD driveshafts, which I can tell from your pics that you don't have. You have the older dog bone style.

I'm guessing here, but for the older Kratons that use dog bones on both the front and rear, there might be a rubber piece that goes into the diff drive cup. That piece keeps the driveshaft tight against the drive cup at the wheel end of the driveshaft.

Others here with more experience with the older Kratons can chime in here.

I did replace the stock A arms with the RPM A arms. I wonder if they could be slightly longer than the old stock ones?

Here’s what it looks like installed and turned to its furthest point

IMG_1601.jpeg

Here's what mine looks like..
K6Sv4
For reference:

IMG_20230722_173924763_HDR.jpg

Passenger side
IMG_20230722_173913812_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230722_173725922_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230722_173723304_HDR.jpg

Servo at max extension
IMG_20230722_173813329_HDR.jpg

Driver side
IMG_20230722_173608160_HDR.jpg

Here's what mine looks like..
K6Sv4
For reference:

View attachment 312812

Passenger side
View attachment 312813

View attachment 312814

View attachment 312815

Servo at max extension
View attachment 312816

Driver side
View attachment 312817
I think yours are the newer style that have a pin to remove to get them off of the wheel hex. Mine have the fixed pin dog bone style shafts.

I can’t remember if they were free when I took it apart but I feel like they were retained in the wheel hub somehow.

I did replace the stock A arms with the RPM A arms. I wonder if they could be slightly longer than the old stock ones?

Here’s what it looks like installed and turned to its furthest point

View attachment 312802

I had ongoing issues with EXB Arms. That red cap! I had to shim the top arm too much to get correct camber and the driveshaft was too short and popped out all too often.
I ripped the cap off, cut that nub down a few mm and its been perfect.
I tried a set of RPMs and they were even longer than the EXB. I didn't like them either, were soft. After a few hard crashes they were permanently bent and warped. The RPM Wing mounts have done the same thing, a few of them now. It bends too much. Sure it doesn't break but it doesn't go back to the correct shape eventually. Id rather the arm be ridged and break. They are cheap and by breaking they save other more expensive components. I hate the RPM Wing mounts won't buy them anymore. And I won't buy their Arms. And I tried their Shock Towers and won't by them either.

And I found with the Arrma Arms they are NEVER all the same size. Always variations, even in the sets. Ive been measuring them and trimming them down to be equal L/R.

IMG_3099.jpeg

IMG_3097.jpeg

I'm assuming you need to run those rubber inner cup spacers in the front with your system like you do in the back. Part # ARA311028. These spacers will stop your driveshafts from drifting inward.

"All of the parts diagrams I’ve been able to find have it looking like the rear where there is a pin holding it in place. The pin is kept secure by the wheel bearing."

I think you put the rear dog bones in the front and vice versa. CVD's should be in the front, dog bones in the rear.

"All of the parts diagrams I’ve been able to find have it looking like the rear where there is a pin holding it in place. The pin is kept secure by the wheel bearing."

I think you put the rear dog bones in the front and vice versa. CVD's should be in the front, dog bones in the rear.
This was it. You’re right. The dog bones go in the rear and the CVD goes in the front. I had them swapped.

Thanks for the help

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back