Clever or stupid? Shock tubings on driveshafts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 3s
What are your thoughts on this? Could it be dangerous?

I got the scorched driveshafts for my VTE2, and they recommend cleaning and oiling it on their website. But I don't want dust sticking on it and oil sprayed onto the chassis.

Could I place shock tubing on the drive cup with some zip ties and use thin bearing oil?

Maximum rpm should be 24k on the center-shafts, might the rubber tubing expand and catch onto something? Traxxas X01 has rubber covers on their front and rear shafts.

Screenshot 2024-03-25 111728.png

IMG_20240325_112058.jpg

The X0-1's driveshafts are telescoping. Yours are made to move a bit within the input cups instead. I'm not sure the pieces you're thinking about there would stay in place. More established and knowledgeable forum members will chime in I'm sure, but I personally would not do this.

Edit - then again....I have a set of Traxxas driveshafts for the E-Maxx 3905-3908 that are akin to the setup you're thinking on. They call them 'CVD's' but they're really not.

Last edited:
I'm already using ( years now actually ) a WAX / PTFE based lubricant designed as a Dirty/Dusty environment lube for bicycle chains.
Sold under the KRYTECH label or White Lightning.

Goes on wet then carrier evaporates leaving the lubricating solids behind. Dirt is NOT attracted to or adheres to surfaces treated.

HIGHLY recommend trying some (y)

ADDING any sort of boot / zip tie etc may shift position and get off center due to centrifugal forces will RADICALLY unbalance the rotating drive shafts .. BAD bad bad !!

Last edited:
FWIW, I run rubbers on all crawler center shafts after applying grease.

IMG_1585.jpeg

IMG_1586.jpeg

IMG_1587.jpeg

IMG_1588.jpeg

Last edited:
Back