Will this airbrush work for Createx airbrush paint ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denvermatt

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey folks! I'm trying to switch over to airbrushing so I bought this cheap beginner airbrush at Harbor Freight today. I was wondering if it will work with Createx water based airbrush paint? Do I need to thin the paint and if I do what thinner do I need. Thanks so much for your help. Also if there is a thread or link discussing how to use airbrush paint on bodies you recommend please post the link

20230815_091714.jpg

I am not an expert with Air brushing, but have worked in AutoBody shops and did painting before. Air brushes for the most part can use most any paint.
Its about getting it thin enough to spray well. If using water based paint. I imagine water is to be used to thin it out. But most water based paint is fine to use as is. Double check by practicing first.
Don't quote me.
I would absolutely practice with that air brush. Don't expet to get someone to direct you and spray the body right away. Practice on scrap plastic or whatever you have there, first. Look for videos in regards. I been a rattle can guy for 35+ years. Always wanted an air brush. I don't really get into painting much. So rattle cans serve me fine enough. Airbrushing gets better results when doing intricate multi color graphics and all, no doubt. Bottled Paint is less $$ compared to rattle cans also. Especially the Tamiya paints.
This airbrush is fine enough for RC work. Just keep it very clean after each use. "Liquid mask" works best in airbrushes, if you are so inlcined to use it also. Hopefully others will give better advice.
Good luck.
Show us your results when you are finished. :cool:

I just recently purchased an airbrush as well and started out by painting my kids (with body safe paint) using some tattoo stencils I picked up on Amazon. I figured it was a fun way to practice and get the kids involved/interested in it. The kids enjoyed it the couple times I've painted them - they laugh and giggle because it tickles. Also, I bought a set of cheapo paints to practice with on paper.

As for learning how to airbrush, I've been watching these videos.

Hey folks! I'm trying to switch over to airbrushing so I bought this cheap beginner airbrush at Harbor Freight today. I was wondering if it will work with Createx water based airbrush paint? Do I need to thin the paint and if I do what thinner do I need. Thanks so much for your help. Also if there is a thread or link discussing how to use airbrush paint on bodies you recommend please post the link

View attachment 317247
If you’re planning on painting RC bodies you can’t use the regular Createx paint. You must use paint made specifically for Polycarbonate, as the bodies flex and most paint does not after it cures. Your paint will crack, flake off, and fail. Popular RC paints are SpazStix, Duratrax, Traxxas, etc. Tamiya PS line is by far the best I’ve used.

+!!!
So very important!
Yeah must be a Polycarbonate/Lexan specific paint. Or all your paint efforts will be for naught. :( The incorrect paint will flake and peel off with just a few impacts.
Guaranteed.

Pactra is a good paint as well. Never tried airbrushing. I know I would eff things up good. Hope it works out for ya!

If you’re planning on painting RC bodies you can’t use the regular Createx paint. You must use paint made specifically for Polycarbonate, as the bodies flex and most paint does not after it cures. Your paint will crack, flake off, and fail. Popular RC paints are SpazStix, Duratrax, Traxxas, etc. Tamiya PS line is by far the best I’ve used.
You can totally use Createx paint on rc bodies. That's what @Ajag uses. My concern in my post is the quality level of airbrush and if the small 0.3mm nozzle will work. After I wrote the post I ordered a different airbrush with a larger nozzle size. I ordered some of the proline airbrush paints to try a side by side review with the createx. Today I've been using up my spray can collection on my liquid mask and stencil practice. Spinach containers work great to practice on :)

20230808_075955.jpg

20230808_080205.jpg

20230815_091734.jpg

20230815_091726.jpg

You can totally use Createx paint on rc bodies. That's what @Ajag uses. My concern in my post is the quality level of airbrush and if the small 0.3mm nozzle will work. After I wrote the post I ordered a different airbrush with a larger nozzle size. I ordered some of the proline airbrush paints to try a side by side review with the createx. Today I've been using up my spray can collection on my liquid mask and stencil practice. Spinach containers work great to practice on :)

View attachment 317297

View attachment 317298

View attachment 317299

View attachment 317300
Which kind of Createx paints can be used on polycarbonate? I googled them after I saw your post and didn’t see any listed as being for lexan or polycarbonate. If they do have PC paints I’d love to know, because they have a really nice range of colors.

EDIT: after seeing @Cheez ’s post I went back and read the entire technical data sheet for Createx Wicked Colors, and nowhere does it list compatibility with Lexan/Polycarbonate. I’m not arguing that it can’t be sprayed with beautiful results, I’m just wondering how it handles the pretty extreme flexing and impacts encountered in a basher body. @Denvermatt said it’s what @Ajag uses, but let’s be fair. He makes shelf queen bodies, not bashers.
Createx Wicked Colors has two colors that I’d love to shoot that I can’t find in any other brand. But I’m not going to go to the trouble if I find my paint job chipping and flaking off after a couple of rolls or impacts.

EDIT THE SECOND: Ok, I’m sold. I just watched the entire video @Cheez posted in post #10 below. It is weird that they don’t say anywhere (that I could find) that this is good for lexan, or specifically back painting polycarbonate, on their technical data sheets. He said it was in the video, and demonstrated by twisting a body around that he painted. So that puts my skepticism to rest. And they have brown! Also their Laguna Blue looks pretty spot on to the old Gulf blue race livery of yore.
This is awesome info, thank you.

Last edited:
Which kind of Createx paints can be used on polycarbonate? I googled them after I saw your post and didn’t see any listed as being for lexan or polycarbonate. If they do have PC paints I’d love to know, because they have a really nice range of colors.
Lots of videos on YT , here is one. It’s for candy 2.0 but Wicked is nice also.

Lots of videos on YT , here is one. It’s for candy 2.0 but Wicked is nice also.
Thanks for sharing this, man. Lots of good info, and actually one of the best how-to videos for airbrushing I’ve seen. And if you really do want to shoot candy I’d highly recommend it.
I'm going to watch more of their videos.

I tried Spaz Stix airbrush color changing paint for the first time today. What’s the verdic
IMG_0671.jpeg
IMG_0672.jpeg
IMG_0673.jpeg
IMG_0674.jpeg
IMG_0675.jpeg
IMG_0676.jpeg
IMG_0677.jpeg
IMG_0678.jpeg
IMG_0679.jpeg

Worked in auto body shops. "House of Colors" was the originator of color shifting paint, way back when. On a scale car, there is much work involved. And that paint is real expensive. Nice to see it trickle down to RC paint. I like Spaz paints. Especially their Chrome. Probably the best chrome RC paint.
Nice work there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back