xlx2. another issue...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not a export but I have seen that XLX2 don't work well in bashers. sorry to hear that it trashed your battery's. I have never owned one and don't know anyone (in person) that owns one, so this is just my 2 sent.
They are working well for me. And I have beat the crap out of them. But yes, some of the XLX2 have gone up in flames from just plugging them in.

I tried to see if I could see the data logs, it wouldn't work, so the ESC is definitely toast.

20220206_190747.jpg

Sorry about your bad luck! I have heard so many good and bad stories on these ESC's, it really makes me wonder if its truly just a QA/QC issue? Luck of the draw.

Sorry about your bad luck! I have heard so many good and bad stories on these ESC's, it really makes me wonder if its truly just a QA/QC issue? Luck of the draw.
Who knows. I'll say this : I've never had any issues with any of my HW ESCS for years. The only thing I've noticed is that they do lower my batteries to less than 3V on the stock LVC settings. I just discovered this a few days ago (yes I know I'm dumb). I set the LVC to cut off high and will see what happens. Other than the fans breaking and that LVC issue, my Max 5, Max 6 and Max 8 ESCS are amazing for hardcore bashing.

I have also really been impressed with Hobbywing, even their entry level stuff like the 10BL60 that came on my Redcat just gets beat to death and keeps going.
It's crazy how much abuse these things can take. Including 26ft plus jumps and crashes 🤣

This was from one of their advisories:

MAMBA XLX2 8S, 33.6V ESC, 20A PEAK BEC 1/5 SCALE ESC (Part Number: 010-0167-00)

A small number of XLX2 units from the first production build could experience an internal hardware failure. Busbars that are housed within the Mamba XLX2 circuitry may, in limited circumstances, be misaligned and cause a malfunction to occur during the very first use of the ESC, whereby the ESC may beep and then stop responding.

Anyone experiencing this type of failure is encouraged to contact Castle for a warranty service. The manufacturing lot codes of this build are C27255, C27711, and C27964. This information is contained on the label adhered to the wires on the ESC and on the outside of the product box. Note that this issue has been addressed in subsequent manufacturing runs.

You would think at this point in time it would be completely unrelated to these earlier releases but it did make me wonder if their were some tolerance/build issues that could present.

I also read about issues using Delta wound motors, not sure if they released a firmware update yet to fix that.

Well I give up trying to use the xlx2. Got my replacement one recently, soldered some new QS8s, used new batts because my previous ones were permanently damaged from the first xlx2 fire, even made sure the motor was good to go. I sent it back to castle to have them verify the motor wasn't damaged. It ran great for 2 days, full throttle pulls off road in my outcast 8s exb, it was flawless!

Took it out again today to the park, lots of snow, snow hills, did a few jumps and it was great. Then I decided to go a little faster and hit a bigger snow jump, there was no traction so I was doing only about 15-20mph. Got about 4 feet of air, hit the breaks a bit too hard, and it nose dived onto about 2 feet of very soft, powdery snow.

It rolled over, and all of a sudden I heard the "excessive load" beeps coming from it, one quick, two long. I wasn't getting any throttle which is what happened to my previous unit that caught on fire. I didn't even attempt to give it anymore, I walked over, shut it off and let it sit for a minute.

I turned it back on, no beeps, a tiny bit of smoke came out and I immediately shut it off... How can it not handle one little nose dive into plush snow... My front bumper didn't even sustain any damage from the crash whatsoever. All I know is that I'm done with the xlx2, it's unreliable and has a terrible reputation. I'm just going to get my replacement and sell it. I'll most likely sell it for way less than MSRP.

When that time comes I'll post it on here for any brave soul that wants a brand-new xlx2 for cheap, it'll come with a basherqueen carbon fiber switch plate as well. And for anyone wondering, I was using brand new Zee 7200mAh 80c lipos with QS8s soldered to them, no adaptors. My gearing was 30/47, motor was a castle 2028 1100kv, servo was a powerHD 65KG, and my my reciever and transmitter was a dumbo x6 combo.
Man…. Those power terminal posts are sooo delicate imo. Their not even soldered to the circuit board, their built into it. One tiny compromise and POOF! I rarely and barely jump my Kraton 1/5 exb and the negative power terminal post was compromised somehow some way, idk if it was a separation in the epoxy or mating surface or some bogus failure that caused it to detach but lacking it up for shipping to CC the post just fell off and all around the circuit board is burnt and crispy FROM WHAT? It’s my most recent post. It just shipped out after speaking to warranty claims. I made the mistake of calling customer support the first time rather than their warranty extension, the guy immediately says to me “strip the esc of everything, wires plugs, fan, and fill out the (NON WARRANTY) claim and ship it”.. the lady named Linda in warranty said to me that she’s the one who will over see esc and determine if it’s going to be covered or not bcs it’s just 6 month old purchase. SMH.., I spent a week doing research on customer warranty laws in the US- Kansas which is where their established. I won’t talk about that now it’s a different subject but do your research bcs not all personnel practice proper law.

If/when Castle warranties mine, I’m very tempted to just pull the motor as well and switch to a Max5/1100kv combo. I’m running a Max5/980kv in my Outcast and it puts just as big of a smile on my face and I don’t have to worry about melting down the whole car every time I plug a battery in.

It's crazy how much abuse these things can take. Including 26ft plus jumps and crashes it can pull two cars bu
This was from one of their advisories:

MAMBA XLX2 8S, 33.6V ESC, 20A PEAK BEC 1/5 SCALE ESC (Part Number: 010-0167-00)

A small number of XLX2 units from the first production build could experience an internal hardware failure. Busbars that are housed within the Mamba XLX2 circuitry may, in limited circumstances, be misaligned and cause a malfunction to occur during the very first use of the ESC, whereby the ESC may beep and then stop responding.

Anyone experiencing this type of failure is encouraged to contact Castle for a warranty service. The manufacturing lot codes of this build are C27255, C27711, and C27964. This information is contained on the label adhered to the wires on the ESC and on the outside of the product box. Note that this issue has been addressed in subsequent manufacturing runs.

You would think at this point in time it would be completely unrelated to these earlier releases but it did make me wonder if their were some tolerance/build issues that could present.

I also read about issues using Delta wound motors, not sure if they released a firmware update yet to fix that.
Yes the firmware was updated like 9 months after the release of the xlx2. My esc was not part of any of the lot #’s and arrived with the latest firm installed.

It's crazy how much abuse these things can take. Including 26ft plus jumps and crashes 🤣

Shows the world it can pull two cars and somehow that’s still intended use and within its application?.., Then In their warranty policy they state that abuse is “Anything that can be considered abuse”🤷‍♂️ By law they cannot deny their “EXPRESSED” (Legal term) warranty coverage on the ESC’s “material & workmanship” (another legal term) simply because its encased in epoxy which is why the repair cannot be performed, so they called it abuse. Which BTW the broken posts are “material” and the policy’s “abuse” term is not specific nor does it contain any disclaimer about the posts or material or worksmanship or any weak points on the ESC. Again by law, “Vague and inconspicuous disclaimers (if any) are NOT enforceable by law”. The disclaimer must be transparent and to the point. So if this is true, then they are contradicting them selfs by stating “FULL REPAIR FULL REPLACEMENT” and then say oh but it’s encased in epoxy so actually no?👎 This whole terminal/post situation falls under “poor design” which in law is referred to a defect because it compromises the functionality of the product (AND) creates an UNSAFE condition while increasing the chances of injury to one’s self and private property.

The first person I spoke to was in the technical support department who said it’s abuse…. The second time I called it was with warranty department and I was told the decision would be made once they get to the ESC and they will call/email me with the information. It’s been 3 weeks since they received it so the clocks ticking.

Well I give up trying to use the xlx2. Got my replacement one recently, soldered some new QS8s, used new batts because my previous ones were permanently damaged from the first xlx2 fire, even made sure the motor was good to go. I sent it back to castle to have them verify the motor wasn't damaged. It ran great for 2 days, full throttle pulls off road in my outcast 8s exb, it was flawless!

Took it out again today to the park, lots of snow, snow hills, did a few jumps and it was great. Then I decided to go a little faster and hit a bigger snow jump, there was no traction so I was doing only about 15-20mph. Got about 4 feet of air, hit the breaks a bit too hard, and it nose dived onto about 2 feet of very soft, powdery snow.

It rolled over, and all of a sudden I heard the "excessive load" beeps coming from it, one quick, two long. I wasn't getting any throttle which is what happened to my previous unit that caught on fire. I didn't even attempt to give it anymore, I walked over, shut it off and let it sit for a minute.

I turned it back on, no beeps, a tiny bit of smoke came out and I immediately shut it off... How can it not handle one little nose dive into plush snow... My front bumper didn't even sustain any damage from the crash whatsoever. All I know is that I'm done with the xlx2, it's unreliable and has a terrible reputation. I'm just going to get my replacement and sell it. I'll most likely sell it for way less than MSRP.

When that time comes I'll post it on here for any brave soul that wants a brand-new xlx2 for cheap, it'll come with a basherqueen carbon fiber switch plate as well. And for anyone wondering, I was using brand new Zee 7200mAh 80c lipos with QS8s soldered to them, no adaptors. My gearing was 30/47, motor was a castle 2028 1100kv, servo was a powerHD 65KG, and my my reciever and transmitter was a dumbo x6 combo.
What are you changing too?
What are you changing too?
I ask because I had the same issue I’m thinking hobby wing idk honestly.

Who knows. I'll say this : I've never had any issues with any of my HW ESCS for years. The only thing I've noticed is that they do lower my batteries to less than 3V on the stock LVC settings. I just discovered this a few days ago (yes I know I'm dumb). I set the LVC to cut off high and will see what happens. Other than the fans breaking and that LVC issue, my Max 5, Max 6 and Max 8 ESCS are amazing for hardcore bashing.
I’ve seen some insane performance with HW5 and 4080 bashed nonstop untill 3.5v doing at LEAST 90mph….. I’m fine with that bcs my MMX8& 1717/1650 does mid 90s 27/47 8s and it’ll hit cut at 160 if I’m too happy and the HW/4080 didn’t hit cut but it had GC fans vs my rockets. I don’t have space right not to go 100+ and I like to drive more animated just in a straight line so., my up coming 1/7 build is still in the box basically bcs I’m waiting on my new body to arrive it’s been a MONTH “Proline 🫵… July 1st they said.. then it was July 19th… how many entire orders went on back order before another lot of bodies could be pumped out? God I sure do hope the Internet doesn’t blow up with 96% of skylines painted purple. I wonder who’s going to be the first person to make content with their skyline before any one side else?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back