XLX2 versus ZTW 300a

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dure16

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon TLR
Losi 5ive-T. Will run 8S with an 800kv motor geared for 55-60mph. Just for general bashing.

The ZTW is huge but the XLX2 performs well for its size.

Which ESC would you use?

I'd pick the xlx2 but one of these days I want to give the ZTW a chance. I know some people on yt run them and don't have any problems with em even on tp motors.

FWIW: My buddy has a converted 5T with the XLX2/800kv Castle combo, he beats the brakes off that thing and hasn't had a problem. Not 100% sure on his gearing, but whatever it is, is plenty for a truck that big, the thing flys... and he usually has the batteries drained before it even comes close to getting too hot

I’ve been looking at the ZTW’s recently. Pretty attractive features. The features really mirror the new HW’s. However, why wouldn’t you consider the HW Max 4 for less money, also a 12s ESC? Both the Max 4 and the XLX2 have better BEC’s as well. I’d love to hear more feedback about them. Keep us posted, man!

Last edited:
I actually just bought a castle 2028 1100kv from someone here on the forums so I can toss it in my rovan and downgrade it to 8s with an xlx2. Going to move the max 4 and tp 5870 to maybe my future mcd w5 sct. :cool:

However, why wouldn’t you consider the HW Max 4 for less money
I'd go Max4 if I had one. My buddy has a used ZTW he'd sell me much cheaper than a Max4. I already own an XLX2.

I would even prefer a max5g2 above a ZTW.
Why is that? Are there reliability concerns with the ZTW? I assume it's more powerful than the Max5G2.

Why is that? Are there reliability concerns with the ZTW? I assume it's more powerful than the Max5G2.
Reliability (in heavy duty bashing scenerio) is one, but also on true specs. Max cont amp and burst might be a little higher on the ZTW on paper but i don't think its actually more powerfull.
G2 hobbywings have some nice new features too

I gave thought to getting one last year. What I do know about them is they are an OEM and make stuff for various well known rebranders like HobbyStar . So they must be decent. Also if you get one you MUST get their program card or you have a paperweight. In my case, I went with the XLX2 simply because it was more popular among speed runners.

Back