Zeee, can you take me high-IR!? (Damned Yankees😎)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two weeks ago I got a twin pack of cheap Amazon 4s batteries. I checked IR when I got them and to make sure they were shipped at storage charge. On one battery the IR of all four cells were in the low teens. After charging it, running it in my Typhon to LVC, and then storage charging it the IR’s all dropped into the 6’s.
I never “cycle” my batteries on a charger, I use them. But I do notice that performance often seems to improve after they are cycled a few times. (Charged, run to LVC, storage charged, rinse and repeat.)

Agreed.
You have been observant enough. Perhaps I am not. I believe you guys. I do notice IR's can be all over the place at times and sometimes not.
I think it has to do more with packs made of low grade poorly matched batched cells? IDK.:unsure:
I read somewhere ( mfr. whitepapers) that premium Lipo cells should always work at max performance out the box, the first cycle in. There is an initial chemical reaction upon the very first Full charge cycle with all new Cells. It's designed this way when mfred, so that the cells can sit in inventory without much resting voltage loss on them. Its some type of catalyst paste between the plates that is expendable upon the first cycle. So just one breakin cycle is very possible if anything? I tend to compare IR's at discharge against when fully charged. Single digit IR's is what I look for in a new pack out the box untouched. At resting storage Volts. 3.8-3.85v. How I judge them.
FWIW, I now storage charge my packs to 3.85v., not 3.80v. In the past with Fresh produced premium Lipo packs, they are shipped at 3.85v/cell most of the time. With new packs I usually monitor if all the cells are well matched in the first few cycles. An indicator for me that I got a decent pack and what to expect from it down the road.
(y)

edited.

Last edited:
I have definitely noticed the first few runs on new batteries are shorter in duration, no notable power difference though.
+1
I never noticed any more punch or power difference. Run time I never payed attention to.:unsure: Being new lipos hard to judge run time??
I believe it. Makes sense.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back