Can the Spektrum 780kv handle higher voltage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dure16

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon TLR
DBXLE 2.0 motor. 56113 780kv. Officially rated for 8S but it’s a low kv rating so I’m curious about higher voltage.

For reference, Castle 800kv, Hobbywing 800kv, Hobbystar 980kv, and Leopard 950kv are all officially rated for 12S.

Has anyone tried the Spektrum on 10S or 12S?

DBXLE 2.0 motor. 56113 780kv. Officially rated for 8S but it’s a low kv rating so I’m curious about higher voltage.

For reference, Castle 800kv, Hobbywing 800kv, Hobbystar 980kv, and Leopard 950kv are all officially rated for 12S.

Has anyone tried the Spektrum on 10S or 12S?
I would be very surprised if it had trouble on 12S, but ultimately it comes down to the rating of the bearings they used. 10S I assume would be no problem, 12S would probably be okay if temps are watched and it's not going full hog all the time, but I'm just speculating as well.

Voltage is never an issue for any motor.
You can always apply higher but it's all about max rpm and efficiency. Motor bearings are typically rated at 42000 rpm max.
42000/780=~ 54V / 3.7V = 15S
12S should be fine.

That's assuming the rotor is built to handle over 30k rpm. Is there any info for max rpm? Motor bearings might be fine but some larger motors have lower RPMs due to much higher inertial forces on the larger rotor. I'd try and get at least validation on max RPM before throwing 12s at it.

By all means, if it blows up, let us know 😇
Never understood the fascination with mismatching motors and batteries. Stay with rated voltage and just gear it right.
Why risk a $200 motor vs just using a bigger pinion.
In general, you want higher S as current stays lower. If you want to always run 12S, just use a lower kV motor.

If you want to always run 12S, just use a lower kV motor
This thought is why I shared the other motor examples that are 12S rated with higher kv than the Spektrum.

I’m curious what would be different with the Spektrum internals. Got some good answers here. Thank you.

This thought is why I shared the other motor examples that are 12S rated with higher kv than the Spektrum.

I’m curious what would be different with the Spektrum internals. Got some good answers here. Thank you.
I would be willing to bet it works. I'm assuming hobbywing makes all of spektrums motors and some of us have run 8s on their 1650kv motor no problem and thats only rated for 6s. Hell, there is a tp motor at 1070kv rated for 12s =D

I would be willing to bet it works. I'm assuming hobbywing makes all of spektrums motors and some of us have run 8s on their 1650kv motor no problem and thats only rated for 6s. Hell, there is a tp motor at 1070kv rated for 12s =D
I'm just saying, I've only ever been surprised by spektrum stuff a handful of times.

Unfortunately for me, in basically all of those cases the "surprise" is usually smoke, flames, or rapid self-disassembly :ROFLMAO:

Back