1/18 scale & smaller market is growing, what do you have/want?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
I started with a TRX4M and really enjoy it. Planning to expand my small scale collection this year and there are a lot of options.

Small scale stuff (1/18 and smaller)

CRAWLERS
TRX4M
SCX24
Furitek
FMS
Hobby Plus
Kyosho
Gelande

BASHERS
Arrma Grom
Losi (mini Grave Digger, B & T)
Kyosho 1/28 road cars
Associated]
LaTrax

What else?

Left the 1/18 Capra out because it measures closer to a 1/14 scale.

Do you own any small scale? How has it been on performance, parts availability, upgrade options, etc.?

Any that you are considering?

Get this one while you can.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C9JL9S5F?ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_SDSSV54EQ32ND14PQA90&language=en-US

Here's one I'm dying to share. Being billed as a trx4m clone. Very similar but, better. Should have mine completed this weekend.

https://www.banggood.com/AUSTAR-AX8...ing-Truck-Vehicles-Models-Toys-p-1999075.html
This is my trx4m with the Injora tarantula frame. I have a couple more mods to do this weekend. Others may be interested

20231125_193558.jpg

And my T-hunter. Got some upgrades for it and hopefully new shoes.

20230320_171311.jpg

Last edited:
I've enjoyed the TRX4M waaaay more than I thought I would. I think I like customizing and upgrading more than actually driving it. I can't see myself purchasing anything smaller than 1/18th though, I think that's the perfect size for a small scale truck, IMO. Plus the smaller you go the more difficult some aspects of wrenching become. I've learned that I really enjoy scale/trail trucks thanks to purchasing the TRX4M. My next RC build will probably be a 10th scale trail truck. As far as the smaller stuff, the only other truck out there I'd like to eventually get is the Grom.

I've enjoyed the TRX4M waaaay more than I thought I would. I think I like customizing and upgrading more than actually driving it. I can't see myself purchasing anything smaller than 1/18th though, I think that's the perfect size for a small scale truck, IMO. Plus the smaller you go the more difficult some aspects of wrenching become. I've learned that I really enjoy scale/trail trucks thanks to purchasing the TRX4M. My next RC build will probably be a 10th scale trail truck. As far as the smaller stuff, the only other truck out there I'd like to eventually get is the Grom.
Agreed. My 1/24 is really too small. It's basically a toy. I've had a lot of fun with it. It's actually got great power & can move quick! It'll lift the left front off the ground way to easy. The 4WS is not really that great imo. I'm not gonna get another crawler, but if I did, I would get the Redcat Ascent 1/10. The LHS had one out & they have a mock rock course inside the store, & it's pretty neat rig & crawled with ease. Nicely built. Low price.

Agreed. My 1/24 is really too small. It's basically a toy. I've had a lot of fun with it. It's actually got great power & can move quick! It'll lift the left front off the ground way to easy. The 4WS is not really that great imo. I'm not gonna get another crawler, but if I did, I would get the Redcat Ascent 1/10. The LHS had one out & they have a mock rock course inside the store, & it's pretty neat rig & crawled with ease. Nicely built. Low price.
I think Redcat hands-down offers the most bang for the buck with their crawlers. I really wanted to like their new Danchee Ridgerunner at only $169.00, but my God is that body UGLY!

I think Redcat hands-down offers the most bang for the buck with their crawlers. I really wanted to like their new Danchee Ridgerunner at only $169.00, but my God is that body UGLY!
I know right! The aftermarket has gone wild for the Ascent. It really is a great capable crawler & has outdone the $$$ ones easy, from the videos I've watched, now. It looks awesome on the rocks. The body offerings are yeah ok pretty good. They look better in person.

I wasn't interested in 1/24 until I saw the SCX24 have 2 diifferent wheelbases, the Powerwagon and Gladiator are 6.1 inch which is barely shorter than the TRX4M.

I'll probably get another TRX4M, gotta have the F150, my favorite truck body ever made. Still see others out there I would like.

Im finding the small rigs satisfy my interest in working on something RC without being expensive like 1/10 and bigger. Turned my current Trx4m into a power wagon style crawler (Furitek body) with 70mm tires. I have roll bars to put on it but am trying to decide if I would prefer to do a custom flatbed or keep the current bed... :unsure:

1000005303.jpg

I wasn't interested in 1/24 until I saw the SCX24 have 2 diifferent wheelbases, the Powerwagon and Gladiator are 6.1 inch which is barely shorter than the TRX4M.

I'll probably get another TRX4M, gotta have the F150, my favorite truck body ever made. Still see others out there I would like.

Im finding the small rigs satisfy my interest in working on something RC without being expensive like 1/10 and bigger. Turned my current Trx4m into a power wagon style crawler (Furitek body) with 70mm tires. I have roll bars to put on it but am trying to decide if I would prefer to do a custom flatbed or keep the current bed... :unsure:

View attachment 342308
Those tires are awesome!
Im finding the small rigs satisfy my interest in working on something RC without being expensive like 1/10 and bigger.

View attachment 342308
Right! My Hazard wheels for my 1/24 were 5 bucks & some change for a set!
I also have this little guy. Mini Infraction 1/28. I forget the brand. It's pretty quick, maybe 15mph which is fast for it. 6-1/2" long, working headlights, taillights & roof.

Attachments

• 20230212_132837.jpg
    20230212_132837.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I have a little of everything, kinda have a mini crawler fetish. I started with Axial Scx24's lots of fun and tons of mods available. Think I have 7 or 8 of them. Also have an AX24 which I really like.
PSX_20220226_192124.jpg

PSX_20220310_192527.jpg

PSX_20220418_182101.jpg

PSX_20220812_163354.jpg

PSX_20221121_151958.jpg

I've also got a pair of FMS FCX24 power wagons that I have extended the wheelbase on that are fun. The only setback to the fms rigs are the hardbodies make them a little top heavy. Also have an FMS Smasher monster truck wich is pretty much the same chassis as the power wagons. While the power wagons say they are 1/24 they are 1/18. Almost fotgot the FMS Atlas 6x6 another good one. The FJ I forgot the actual name and title it was sold under but was made by FMS. Ok trail truck but not good for crawling.

PSX_20220814_175953.jpg

PSX_20220716_202250.jpg

PSX_20220410_140441.jpg
PSX_20220702_114640.jpg

I have a 1/24 AE/Element Ecto which is a tad smaller than the SCX24's but probably truer to scale. It just seems to lack power.

The Furitek Cayman Pro is my current favorite mini crawler, just straight up performance. It has the same hard body as the FMS powerwagon, I swapped mine out for an Axial deadblt body for some weight savings.

Orig. Cayman Body
PSX_20231202_102438.jpg

Modified with Deadblot body
PSX_20231214_075226.jpg

A other one I have is the Hobby Plus Rock Van, not bad.

Arrma Grom fun small scale basher.

I know iI'm forgetting something. I REALLY NEED TO GET SOME CURRENT PHOTOS.

DUH, forgotmy TRX4M's have the Bronco and the Defender.

PSX_20221122_152737.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome collection! I only know about the Furitek crawlers because I was looking for a body that fits my TRX4M. Everything I read about Furitek sounds like they make high quality rigs.
FMS has some great looking stuff too, the Smasher looks like a blast and the crawlers seem pretty solid.

Yeah FMS has come a long way in the last year.

Furitek also has the Fury Wagon that I believe is on the Hobby Plus chassis that is a good performer.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back