12T Titan Stopped Working, Open Circuit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arise0185

Rig of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave EXB
Hi everyone,

I have a brand new Traxxas 12t Titan motor that suddenly stopped working. I did the water break in method and it ran strong for about 5 or 6 packs. Then, all of a sudden, it cut out. Driven exclusively indoors on carpet.

I verified it is the motor that is bad, because other motors run just fine on my ESC. And when I take my multimeter and measure the resistance across the motor tabs, the bad motor shows basically an open circuit, whereas the good motors show almost zero resistance.

My only thought is that a piece of carpet or some other debris is stuck between the brush and the commutator, preventing electrical contact. But no matter how much I spin the motor by hand, blow compressed air, or spray contact cleaner, I can't seem to dislodge anything.

I know these motors are cheap and essentially disposable (Traxxas even explicitly does NOT warranty them), but it's still kind of a bummer and I'm wondering if something I did might have caused this premature failure. Water break in + contact cleaner to flush out after seems like a pretty common practice, but I won't rule that out.

Nope it's just a crap shoot as to how long they last. If sticking with brushless I would look into a rebuild able motor.

Nope it's just a crap shoot as to how long they last. If sticking with brushless I would look into a rebuild able motor.
Unfortunately this is for Spec Slash racing, so I have to buy this specific motor.

Unfortunately this is for Spec Slash racing, so I have to buy this specific motor.
Then stock up. As @slick2500 said, it's a crap shoot. All you can do is prep it and hope for the best. They're cheap motors. You could take it apart, and won't find a thing in it. Most likely a broken or shorted winding. The next one could outlive all the others. It is what it is.

Then stock up. As @slick2500 said, it's a crap shoot. All you can do is prep it and hope for the best. They're cheap motors. You could take it apart, and won't find a thing in it. Most likely a broken or shorted winding. The next one could outlive all the others. It is what it is.

Yep, I guess that's what I'll be doing. Appreciate the input, everyone!

I was thinking that after I made my post. As you said you were racing and that is the only class I know of that uses the Titan 12T.

Back