32dp vs .08 mod pinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velodromed

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
  9. Infraction 4x4
I know that one is metric and the other is not. How compatible are they though? I’ve done some research and I seen some complain and some say it’s a great… what are experiences here?
Thanks guys!

Pitch is an old american/imperial standard. Modulus is a global metric standard these days. They don't equate equally how they are measuring each type. But the pressure angle of the teeth matching each other is what matters.
32 Pitch and Modulus .08 appear to overlap being so very close that it works fine enough for RC use. There is less than a 1% difference between the 2.
I have never done this. I don't run 32 pitch or even .08 Mod in any of my rigs. Only 48 pitch or Modulus .1 .
Is it technically correct to do this?
A mechanical engineer would probably say No. From a purist perspective. No need to really mix the two.. Except maybe in a pinch?? As many will do.
There are many options, easily attainable for both.
How I see it.

https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/rc-car-gearing-mistakes-you-must-avoid/

Last edited:
Pitch is an old american/imperial standard. Modulus is a global metric standard these days. They don't equate equally how they are measuring each type. But the pressure angle of the teeth matching each other is what matters.
32 Pitch and Modulus .08 appear to overlap being so very close that it works fine enough for RC use. There is less than a 1% difference between the 2.
I have never done this. I don't run 32 pitch or even .08 Mod in any of my rigs. Only 48 pitch or Modulus .1 .
Is it technically correct to do this?
A mechanical engineer would probably say No. From a purist perspective. No need to really mix the two.. Except maybe in a pinch?? As many will do.
There are many options, easily attainable for both.
How I see it.

https://www.radiocontrolinfo.com/rc-car-gearing-mistakes-you-must-avoid/
Thanks buddy, always appreciate you technical response. I have a mostly 3s rigs so they all run .08. I know that between the two is ever so slightly off but hoping with the stock plastic spur it really won’t matter. There are a few hot racing pinions I want to try that only come in 32 mod. Agian, thanks man!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back