4s lipos with QS8 connectors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayP.

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Outcast 8s
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Senton 3s
So, I didn't really think too hard about which connectors I'd be stuck with, having purchased a XLX2 and castle 1100kv motor. People are saying you need to run the QS8s, or similar connectors with a high amperage rating. I wanted to see if there were any batteries out there that come with QS8 connectors, but I couldn't find anything, other than some out of stock power hobby 6500mAh 4s lipos. I would rather not solder on new connectors to a lipo if I can avoid it, so any suggestions would be appreciated (at least 7200mAh, 100c).

SMC allows you to chose which connectors you want installed (QS8’s available on most), or some Chinahobbyline packs are sold with QS8’s already installed.

So, I didn't really think too hard about which connectors I'd be stuck with, having purchased a XLX2 and castle 1100kv motor. People are saying you need to run the QS8s, or similar connectors with a high amperage rating. I wanted to see if there were any batteries out there that come with QS8 connectors, but I couldn't find anything, other than some out of stock power hobby 6500mAh 4s lipos. I would rather not solder on new connectors to a lipo if I can avoid it, so any suggestions would be appreciated (at least 7200mAh, 100c).
You can get smc lipos with those connectors ..

edit: looks like @Hammer Down beat me lol

link:
https://www.smc-racing.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=96&product_id=621

link:
https://chinahobbyline.com/shop/detail/551

You can get smc lipos with those connectors ..

edit: looks like @Hammer Down beat me lol
They are actually the cheapest supply of them I’ve found yet. 👍 Plus they will add them to most lipos for $3

SMC allows you to chose which connectors you want installed (QS8’s available on most), or some Chinahobbyline packs are sold with QS8’s already installed.
I didn't know you could, I've never had to configure lipos for specific connectors. But now I do know, so I appreciate it! I'm going to pick up the 8000mAh 120c hardcase lipos with the QS8 connectors. It's gonna be more than I wanted to spend, but at least I won't need to worry about adapters.

I picked up some Qs8 anti spark ones from amazon and they are not that big and soldering 8 and even 10-gauge wire looks easy compared to the EC5s I been using. I think I'm going to make the change myself. EDIT...OH..This is a old one, :ROFLMAO:

I picked up some Qs8 anti spark ones from amazon and they are not that big and soldering 8 and even 10-gauge wire looks easy compared to the EC5s I been using. I think I'm going to make the change myself. EDIT...OH..This is a old one, :ROFLMAO:
Get yourself a good soldering iron. They are easy but you need to get real hot real quick. I solder 8awg at 745 degrees. Smaller gauge I do 630.

Get yourself a good soldering iron. They are easy but you need to get real hot real quick. I solder 8awg at 745 degrees. Smaller gauge I do 630.
100_0012.JPG

Thank you! Got myself a Weller and some lead solder that someone suggested here. Just getting started and sometimes things go well the first try and sometimes not.

make sure to put the opposite connector on the end when soldering (put a female on a make and vice versa). They suck a lot of heat and, depending on how long you wind up having to apply the soldering iron, it can be sufficient to soften the plastic and the plugs/couplings will move off axis or, worst case, just go right through and fall out of the bottom of the connector.

If you're soldering up lipos, make sure to put the connector endcap on so you don't accidentally bridge the pins when making contact with something metal and hard shorting your battery.

Leaded solder is definitely the way to go (y) To get even more specific, 63/37 is the best but, if you have 60/40 make sure that you don't touch or disturb the solder joint after you remove the heat until the solder has crystalized. Otherwise you risk the possibility of a cold solder joint.

Don’t forget to put the little wire cover on before soldering. I can’t tell you how many times I forgot to do so and had to unsolder them to put it on. 🤬

Don’t forget to put the little wire cover on before soldering. I can’t tell you how many times I forgot to do so and had to unsolder them to put it on. 🤬
What's even better than forgetting to put it on? Remembering to put it on but forgetting to turn it around when you solder the second lead on.

I just soldered some new perfect pass Qs8 on max 5 and one only works when I pull the battery connector out a little.
Does that mean bad solder joint?
I tried 2 different sets of batteries same thing.
Well I was just going to solder it again. I hope I can re-use the same connector.

I just soldered some new perfect pass Qs8 on max 5 and one only works when I pull the battery connector out a little.
Does that mean bad solder joint?
I tried 2 different sets of batteries same thing.
Well I was just going to solder it again. I hope I can re-use the same connector.
Make sure to put the opposite connector on the one you're soldering to ensure that the pins inside the connector don't shift as the plastic can get soft when enough heat is applied. QS8s soak a lot of heat. Make sure to turn your soldering iron up to max with the largest tip you have for it to minimize the time the iron stays in contact with the connector.

Make sure to put the opposite connector on the one you're soldering to ensure that the pins inside the connector don't shift as the plastic can get soft when enough heat is applied. QS8s soak a lot of heat. Make sure to turn your soldering iron up to max with the largest tip you have for it to minimize the time the iron stays in contact with the connector.
Definety, Thanks for the advice!
Thats exactly what I did, connected the opposite connector. I just tested it and it works as it should. I will never solder again without connecting the other side. That has to be what Happend I assumed because the Qs8 is so big I wouldn't have to connect the opposite side.
Well lesson learned.
This is why I love this forum.
Thanks again!!

Definety, Thanks for the advice!
Thats exactly what I did, connected the opposite connector. I just tested it and it works as it should. I will never solder again without connecting the other side. That has to be what Happend I assumed because the Qs8 is so big I wouldn't have to connect the opposite side.
Well lesson learned.
This is why I love this forum.
Thanks again!!
Anytime :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back