6s Diff outdrive play

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Dylan

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Notorious
I was doing maintenance on my Noto and noticed that both front and rear diffs have a lot out drive play as seen in attached video. Bearings are brand new Avids, so I know that's not the issue.

1) Is this normal wear and tear?

2) Should I be putting grease on the outdrive pin going into ring gear?

3) Is this just cheap RCAWD metal wearing quickly? Thanks

4) Should I run the car with this level of play?

Thanks

Looks pretty normal, much better than a composite assembly after a few miles of bashing. Shim it snug without any binding/interference, either under the sun gear cross pin (will also tighten planetary mesh) or between bearing/outdrive.

Yeah, normal I'd say. Some of mine have way more play than that, I just keep sending it.. I don't think the wobble is of much concern, as long as there isn't too much in/out freeplay of the cups/shafts, that's when they start having real problems. Shims inside the cup, behind the "sun" gears are needed then, but it can be a frustrating endeavor. Also why I just buy a whole new assembly from a kitbreaker like JRC or similar. If I can get a year or more from a factory assembled diff at $40, no point in messing with them, the mess from the fluid alone is a hassle. New case, bearings, output cups, gears..for $40? Sounds like an easy choice to me.

Yeah, normal I'd say. Some of mine have way more play than that, I just keep sending it.. I don't think the wobble is of much concern, as long as there isn't too much in/out freeplay of the cups/shafts, that's when they start having real problems. Shims inside the cup, behind the "sun" gears are needed then, but it can be a frustrating endeavor. Also why I just buy a whole new assembly from a kitbreaker like JRC or similar. If I can get a year or more from a factory assembled diff at $40, no point in messing with them, the mess from the fluid alone is a hassle. New case, bearings, output cups, gears..for $40? Sounds like an easy choice to me.
I do something very similar, then I swap all the components over to an Arrma EXB diff case. This last go around I upgraded to Vitavon gears. If I had to do over again, I’d probably just buy the full Vitavon kit and be done. Also, there’s a place for the diff cup shims on the inside, mine has 2 shims per side.

IMG_5224.jpeg

Back