6s motor on 100a esc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quiznatodd bidness

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I recently hit some overheating issues on the stock 3s 3660 motor in my big rock/granite hybrid. As upping the electronics is a future intention anyway, I wonder if running the larger motor while changing nothing else would be a stupid idea. Seems like the 6s motor would not heat up nearly as much, but how much speed drop-off is there when only running it on 3s? Anybody tried this?

A larger motor would allow for more instantaneous torque, which would draw more current. So it would be harder on the ESC. You'd want to make sure your ESC fans are still kicking. Or upgrade. You may also want to consider the negative side affect of a huge addition of weight from the larger motor.

You would also need to consider installing a massive pinion on the motor to compensate for the lower kv of the 6s motor. i believe the size limit is a 27t on the v3 blx trucks. So keep that in mind.

That said, I've been running a 2650kv 4068 size surpass motor for quite a while on a granite and a big rock with good results. I still can run into overheating issues though if I run it hard. The stock motor heatsink is crap. Remove it and get a clamp on style motor fan mount so the air blows straight across the motor can. That should help.

Another good option are the 3670 sized rocket/surpass motors. You can pick them up in a variety of KV, and if you get the finned can style, they are really easy to cool with a fan mount and fan.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back