Kv motor explanation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deceased

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hello everyone! I have some questions about the Kv rating on motors I currently have a

Castle Creations Copperhead 10 Brushless ESC / 1412-3200Kv​

what does the 3200kv even mean? I also want know if I ever wanted to try a different ESC with he same CC motor I have how would I know if it can work with it and not mess it up. Having a higher Kv does it mean its better or fast or having a lower rated Kv motor mean slower?? does it all depend on the application? I hope this makes sense and I want to learn more about Kv motor and how it's rated and if it's compatible with other esc ratings. Thanks :))

The higher the KV of the motor, the higher the RPM. So everything else being equal a 3200kv motor will be “faster” than a 2000kv motor. But it does come at the expense of heat. The higher the voltage you want to run the lower the kv you should choose. You can compensate for the lower rpm with gearing.

does less KV mean more torque? or is torque just the size of the motor can?
Supposedly. In a nutshell, it’s a hard sell for me. People do say that if you have three configurations of the same kv motor then the longer and fatter cans produce more torque. I’ve read a lot of threads about this, but still haven’t found an explanation that really satisfies me. I might not be the sharpest tool in the shed, though. Although I can be a tool of the highest order…

does less KV mean more torque? or is torque just the size of the motor can?
All other things being equal like can size and rotor size, usually it means lower torque on higher kv motors. But this isn't always the case. There's a Holmes hobbies video where he explains that higher kv motors geared down can produce more torque than lower kv motors geared up and run more efficiently, but that's in crawling applications.

Ultimately, for best performance in bashers you wanna run the highest voltage you can with the lowest KV within reason because amperage and RPM is where heat gets generated in electrical systems. But that doesn't mean you should put a 900kv monster can in a 3s granite and run 12S, because the granite can't hold 12s packs, the torque would destroy the driveline, and it would be too heavy. So sweet spot for most 10th scale cars is 100 to 120 amp system with 2400 to 3300 kv motor between 3 to 4s for size constraints.

Back