Granite A quick Drive line question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodythedog

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Mega 2WD
New here and my first Arrma. I grabbed a scratch and dent Granite 4x2 Mega last week and I’m gathering parts to upgrade to 4x4 soon. I already own a brushless set up and have hit Jenny’s for the BLX fan and motor mount.
I see that Arrma advertises the Mega’s as 3s ready but I’m wondering do I need to get a BLX Slipper when I make the upgrade?
Hoping someone has done this before me and can offer insight😀
Thanks in advance!

New here and my first Arrma. I grabbed a scratch and dent Granite 4x2 Mega last week and I’m gathering parts to upgrade to 4x4 soon. I already own a brushless set up and have hit Jenny’s for the BLX fan and motor mount.
I see that Arrma advertises the Mega’s as 3s ready but I’m wondering do I need to get a BLX Slipper when I make the upgrade?
Hoping someone has done this before me and can offer insight😀
Thanks in advance!
Hi, and welcome. Yes, you will need the 0.8mod 57t slipper, and 15t spur to go with it. That's what's stock on the 3S. Some say you need the alu motor mount aswell, some say it's ok with plastic. I went for the aluminum one.

You will need alot more than just the BLX motor and ESC. Def the Slipper for starters. But need much more$$ in parts. The drive train won't keep up. Should have got a straight up 3s BLX 4x4 out the gate. Will cost you the same in the end to upgrade that 4x2 Mega.
Better check your wallet after adding up all the parts you will need. Its your call. Many have done the same. And yet some others just bought a legit 4x4 BLX 3s or 4s instead. Kept the Mega as a Mega or sold it. Cheaper in the big scope of things. I don't know how much you really saved with a Scratch and Dent 4x2 Mega??
Seems everyone who buys a Mega Anything wants it to be a legit BLX 4x4 almost immediately after they realize a Mega is dog slow and for a small child learning RC's. Good luck.:cool:

You will need alot more than just the BLX motor and ESC. Def the Slipper for starters. But need much more$$ in parts. The drive train won't keep up. Should have got a straight up 3s BLX 4x4 out the gate. Will cost you the same in the end to upgrade that 4x2 Mega.
Better check your wallet after adding up all the parts you will need. Its your call. Many have done the same. And yet some others just bought a legit 4x4 BLX 3s or 4s instead. Kept the Mega as a Mega or sold it. Cheaper in the big scope of things. I don't know how much you really saved with a Scratch and Dent 4x2 Mega??
Seems everyone who buys a Mega Anything wants it to be a legit BLX 4x4 almost immediately after they realize a Mega is dog slow and for a small child learning RC's. Good luck.:cool:
This has me all over it 💸💸💸
So yes, a 3s blx would be cheaper, but now I really know the rig in and out 😁 has been a fun experience, if you are in to that kind of thing, and I guess you don't have a choice in this hobby, unless you pay your LHS or someone you know to fix when broken.

Paying someone ( LHS) to do MY hobby without learning it firsthand...then it really isn't a hobby, is it?:unsure: Then I'm paying someone to DO my hobby for me. Just so I can drive. The hobby is 80% wrenching and 20% driving. What I learned in RC. I never put down to be honest They rarely sat on the shelf unused. Doing this for decades now. We all do RC differently. I was racing at the track before Bashing was even a Thing. What got me into RC and building kits. RC has changed. I never said RC was a cheap hobby. That's why I thought it good to just buy a 4x4 3s. Great to have more than one rig as well. Everyone should have at least 2. If they are the same chassis platform then it becomes more economical parts wise.
But I get your point.

Last edited:
I'm gonna have to get you to stop recommending the whole mega's and/or boosts can't handle the 3s upgrades.. or the whole drivetrain will fail spew, I hate to say it but they definitely will @SrC !!

This is a stock mega composite spur gear and these are stock mega diffs.. I think that's the 50t but I also have the 55t, both still brand new looking, not a scratch or mar.. they have seen 67mph and I have bashed the dog tar out them before my speed conversion.. I will flip you!! 😎

IMG_20230304_095223233_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230311_102959777_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230304_095718751_HDR.jpg

I have chewed one spur and one diff, but that is with hard bashing, even broken the chassis. So yeah, drive line of mega does handel 3s, but the steel would probably be better?

I appreciate your advice but I’m old school RC. I have always built kits and enjoy the building / wrenching part of the hobby. If I spent the larger coin for the BLX I’d still wind up replacing and customizing so in my instance it’s better to buy the less expensive Mega and build to my taste😀

I'm gonna have to get you to stop recommending the whole mega's and/or boosts can't handle the 3s upgrades.. or the whole drivetrain will fail spew, I hate to say it but they definitely will @SrC !!

This is a stock mega composite spur gear and these are stock mega diffs.. I think that's the 50t but I also have the 55t, both still brand new looking, not a scratch or mar.. they have seen 67mph and I have bashed the dog tar out them before my speed conversion.. I will flip you!! 😎

View attachment 293059

View attachment 293060

View attachment 293061
There is a part of me that wants to have a 4x4. My alter Ego. I enjoy driving very light rigs in general. Enjoying the build is always part of the journey for me. Just seems that the 4x4 line garrantees much $$ investment in the process. My wallet would take a crap and have a conniption when I have to buy the $M2C$ motor mount and brace alone. I would have expected Arrma to update those parts by now, years later. (Power Module) I like to buy the maxxed out versions of whatever I buy. The Mega would disappoint me for the reasons I stated above. I don't mean to poopoo any of the 4x4 line. So many people have them. And so many have luck and fun with them. Seems the 6s line are less frustrationg to deal with. And the upgrade parts are about the same price as the 4x4 line. Price aside, a Typhon 4x4 can't hold a candle to a Typhon 6s for example. Even if you run both on 3s. And look at the small price difference, when you consider the better parts out the box of the Typhon 6s. Just an analogy. Maybe not a fair one??? IDK. I never liked the way Arrma packaged the 4x4 lineup. If there is any value there. I don't see it. Mega or Boost versions = even less value. Seems impulse buyers end up with them . Because they are so inexpensive. I get it. To me it is like buying half of a rig. I still have to buy the other half in $parts$ now once I realize that. You easily end up in 6s territory price wise. And running 3s or 4s with some of the lighter 6s models run great also , if you are scared of 6s lipos/ speed and power and just starting out. And they stay even more durable.
We all RC differently.

Last edited:

View attachment 293059

View attachment 293060

View attachment 293061
Your rig there is TOOO clean. How many runs on those parts anyway? Like 3 packs in????:ROFLMAO:

The only end it'll go in!! 🤣
Sorry, that’s what I get for posting at 3 am
As I stated in the beginning I’ve been a Tamiya Man forever and that spool is just like the type used in Tamiya axles as a locker of sorts. How hard on the Drive line is that on an Arrma since all that Motor torque pushed straight through?

They say you shouldn't bash with them, or so I've heard but I know a few people on here that like them for bashing.. mine is in the making for a speed rig so quick hits with long throttle pulls should be no problemo for the driveline.. I have contemplated bashing a spool but scared of the repercussions!!

They say you shouldn't bash with them, or so I've heard but I know a few people on here that like them for bashing.. mine is in the making for a speed rig so quick hits with long throttle pulls should be no problemo for the driveline.. I have contemplated bashing a spool but scared of the repercussions!!
That makes sense. I’ve built a Tamiya TT02 for speed and used one like that in the front end to help with keeping it straight.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back