ALL NEW 1/5 8S VIGILANTE from REDCAT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So maybe not to start a war here, but watching exocaged's video with the 30ft jump of the vigilante had me wonder: what should we really expect from this truck? I'd love me a 5th scale, but I don't see myself buying a $1000 rig anytime soon. If I was getting one, I'd be trying to figure out if I'd really be doing massive jumps with it anyway and whether 1) another 5th scale option would be worth an extra $200, 2) whether another 5th scale option would stand up to flat landings from that high. Idk about most of you, but I don't have thousands to throw away at an xmaxx or k8s or vigilante while sending them to the moon and then replacing parts every other bash.
I agree with this sentiment. If I purchased this I definitely wouldn't be sending it to the moon. My wallet would not be happy with me. When sending big 8S rigs it's not a matter of if something will break, but When will something break. For my driving style it seems to be a more than capable truck. Rigs this size are impressive to watch just sending off of small jumps or running wide open in big open spaces. I think the problem with a lot of Youtube "reviews" is that they send it til it breaks, they're trying to do something to make it break. While there are fair number of people like that in this hobby, I don't Think the majority of us send it like these guys do.

I agree with this sentiment. If I purchased this I definitely wouldn't be sending it to the moon. My wallet would not be happy with me. When sending big 8S rigs it's not a matter of if something will break, but When will something break. For my driving style it seems to be a more than capable truck. Rigs this size are impressive to watch just sending off of small jumps or running wide open in big open spaces. I think the problem with a lot of Youtube "reviews" is that they send it til it breaks, they're trying to do something to make it break. While there are fair number of people like that in this hobby, I don't Think the majority of us send it like these guys do.
I was initially hesitant when it came to the price, but seeing the electronics and then that it's not immediately fragile (maybe not the most durable, but still holds its own) makes me wonder if this isn't an xmaxx/k8s contender, but more of--in true redcat style--an offering for a pretty decent truck for a decent discount over the average at the scale. That's basically the kaiju in a nutshell. Good electronics, couple of faults, but durable enough and fixable.

We'll call it: not the most durable or capable, but the best value.

So maybe not to start a war here, but watching exocaged's video with the 30ft jump of the vigilante had me wonder: what should we really expect from this truck? I'd love me a 5th scale, but I don't see myself buying a $1000 rig anytime soon. If I was getting one, I'd be trying to figure out if I'd really be doing massive jumps with it anyway and whether 1) another 5th scale option would be worth an extra $200, 2) whether another 5th scale option would stand up to flat landings from that high. Idk about most of you, but I don't have thousands to throw away at an xmaxx or k8s or vigilante while sending them to the moon and then replacing parts every other bash.
I don't even like to jump my upgraded Xmaxx and XRT that high honestly. Or my K8S that is upgraded too. I only do about 20 ft or less high jumps, and is way higher than the anyone I know. And I even do that rarely anymore. It just gets stupid expensive to be in so high hand fixings stuff that bends constantly. I do have lightening vehicles like my K6S XL that I still don't mind jumping high. But yeah for long term durability and success, I wouldn't be jumping any of these things rigs too high constantly. They are just too heavy. 👍

I was initially hesitant when it came to the price, but seeing the electronics and then that it's not immediately fragile (maybe not the most durable, but still holds its own) makes me wonder if this isn't an xmaxx/k8s contender, but more of--in true redcat style--an offering for a pretty decent truck for a decent discount over the average at the scale. That's basically the kaiju in a nutshell. Good electronics, couple of faults, but durable enough and fixable.

We'll call it: not the most durable or capable, but the best value.
So far, it's doing better than the Kaiju. On my first couple of runs with the Kaiju, I broke drive cups and the bumper without abusing it too much. O yeah, and the upper control arms broke easily on the Kaiju too.

Nope. I don't know of anyone else that has rigs around me (probably 30 plus rc vehicles) that have done the jumps that I used to do. People do jump, but it's usually on a small ramp with around 15 ft or less high. I'm convinced that what you see on YT is not representative of what people actually do with their rigs 👍

Last edited:
If Arrma is getting away with a Max6 G1, aka Firma 160, along with the 5687 1100kv Firma motor, no reason to think the HexFly 160a (Max6 rtr) won't handle a 5687/5690? I know too much gear will overheat the Max6 esc, but the fact that the Vigilante motor mount won't actually accept more than one or two more teeth than stock might be a blessing in disguise?
A flat landing from as high as Exo's, or the other dude who drove it off a second story roof would most likely break any 1/6 or 1/5 scale rig in stock form I think. Not really concerned myself, since I know I'm not that courageous, LOL.
Seems the only way to really go "big" with an 8s rig is still through M2C or similar. Whether it's a TRX or Arrma, still needs help to hold up. I don't see the Vigilante getting the support needed for huge sends by the aftermarket, which I think is just fine. I wouldn't need it myself, I could be perfectly happy with 5 or 6 foot jumps from the Vigilante, just as I am from my Xmaxx and K8S.

Don't forget, Redcat is in AZ, no sales tax from AZ.. that puts the Vigilante waay under either the Arrma or TRX if we add sales tax..
I like the Vigilante, I doubt it's going to sell in any big numbers, but it's always good to have more options, if nothing else, the Vigilante gives us a cool body to use elsewhere, and even some decent tires/wheels that will almost certainly be cheaper than any other of their size.

Some of us remember Traxxas being the cheap pos brand. Then the T-Maxx hit and the world changed. Redcat is 1 RC car from greatness, they been doing real well of late with drift cars and the kaiju.
They have very good crawlers. And that new small crawler (RC Ascent) seems to give you a lot for $100 initial price.

The big thing will be how long the drivetrain holds up. Paying the damage tax for flying is one thing, the every other pack maintenance is what hurts. Not stripping gears or blowing dog bones while jumping at this scale size is amazing! The more packs/videos the better this thing looks in my opinion.

They have very good crawlers. And that new small crawler (RC Ascent) seems to give you a lot for $100 initial price.
Nothing new and must have, lacking that cult classic feel! Usually there is one product that really defines a company. The low riders are definitely one of those products that grab you and suck you to there site.

Just needs a full-length alloy support mate to prevent the independent composite chassis assembly from overdeflection causing teeth mesh destruction. Eventually if you're going to go huge there will be machined gear replacements. Not concerned at all with this design.

Personally I don't think the vigilante looks as good as majority of people in this thread seem to think. I've watched like 3 videos and all 3 videos it's been broken and while I don't have any experience with redcat that's only because they don't seem as good as other companies to me which means I have zero reason to buy anything they make. Now some people will say "what do you expect from a jump like that?" or whatever other excuse one might insert there. All I can do is compare what I've seen to the experiences I've had with both my Traxxas 8s rigs and Arrma 8s rigs.

I enjoy the holy hell out of my arrma 8s and traxxas 8s rigs. I don't have the problems that people like arrmarookie have with his arrma rigs. I can't even remember the last time I even had to look at a diff in one of my arrma 8s rigs. I don't have problems with my lipos or anything funky. I use SMC and CNHL lipos and have zero problems. The k8s/o8s/xrt are my favorite bashers period and I think they're all pretty damn durable. I was just sending my outcast and xrt the other day at the bmx spot and ran into a dude who said he had an xrt at the house but was amazed at how I was sending both of my big rigs. He never thought it was even possible to send em like that and not break stuff.

I've had way more violently bad landings with zero dmg so seeing a guy drive a truck off a roof and having people act like that landing was the worst thing ever and thats why it broke is hilarious to me. I'd pick an arrma 8s or traxxas 8s rig over this redcat offering all day any day and twice on sunday and I'd be happy to spend the extra couple hundred bucks to do so. I've seen the wifey do things to her XRT that would have had that vigilante in multiple pieces and same for my arrma 8s rigs.

I can't hate on them for trying though and more options are always good! besides, not everyone is going to bash the same way and everyone can have different experiences with the same truck.

Last edited:
Personally I don't think the vigilante looks as good as majority of people in this thread seem to think. I've watched like 3 videos and all 3 videos it's been broken and while I don't have any experience with redcat that's only because they don't seem as good as other companies to me which means I have zero reason to buy anything they make. Now some people will say "what do you expect from a jump like that?" or whatever other excuse one might insert there. All I can do is compare what I've seen to the experiences I've had with both my Traxxas 8s rigs and Arrma 8s rigs.

I enjoy the holy hell out of my arrma 8s and traxxas 8s rigs. I don't have the problems that people like arrmarookie have with his arrma rigs. I can't even remember the last time I even had to look at a diff in one of my arrma 8s rigs. I don't have problems with my lipos or anything funky. I use SMC and CNHL lipos and have zero problems. The k8s/o8s/xrt are my favorite bashers period and I think they're all pretty damn durable. I was just sending my outcast and xrt the other day at the bmx spot and ran into a dude who said he had an xrt at the house but was amazed at how I was sending both of my big rigs. He never thought it was even possible to send em like that and not break stuff.

I've had way more violently bad landings with zero dmg so seeing a guy drive a truck off a roof and having people act like that landing was the worst thing ever and thats why it broke is hilarious to me. I'd pick an arrma 8s or traxxas 8s rig over this redcat offering all day any day and twice on sunday and I'd be happy to spend the extra couple hundred bucks to do so. I've seen the wifey do things to her XRT that would have had that vigilante in multiple pieces and same for my arrma 8s rigs.

I can't hate on them for trying though and more options are always good! besides, not everyone is going to bash the same way and everyone can have different experiences with the same truck.
Hater!!;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

FWIW, Rocky at ThunderRC says he's got a Vigilante ordered. Should be comical off the death ramp, the Maxx Slash was..battery taped in and all!! Didn't survive the death ramp for long, but let's face it, he was on a mission to break it. At least that's my impression..
I think the Slash has proved quite durable. Also expensive for what it is, but if it's worth it to someone, who am I to judge.✌👌

Last edited:
FWIW, Rocky at ThunderRC says he's got a Vigilante ordered. Should be comical off the death ramp, the Maxx Slash was..battery taped in and all!! Didn't survive the death ramp for long, but let's face it, he was on a mission to break it. At least that's my impression..
I think the Slash has proved quite durable. Also expensive for what it is, but if it's worth it to someone, who am I to judge.✌👌

So the Vigilante is soon to be dubbed the “world’s best basher” or whatever tag he gives everything.

So the Vigilante is soon to be dubbed the “world’s best basher” or whatever tag he gives everything.
Then he's going to sell it 30 days from now.

This playground is :love:.

"I do gotta tell ya, ESC is going good" OG G1 Max6 FTW :cool:

I have noticed Redcat usually uses an ESC that is know to be reliable, doesn't surprise me to see a G1 Max6 in there.
Negative Ghostrider pattern is full. My Kaiju EXT would go into protection on a light drive..not bash. Lol That esc was trash.

Last edited:
Hehe, the old Redcat Volcano is still rocking the stock HW 60A ESC and motor, it just keeps going :cool:

Interesting on the Kaiju, that one has the trusty 8BL150, those are supposed to be reliable too. Maybe designed for more of a "relaxed" driving style?

If Arrma is getting away with a Max6 G1, aka Firma 160, along with the 5687 1100kv Firma motor, no reason to think the HexFly 160a (Max6 rtr) won't handle a 5687/5690? I know too much gear will overheat the Max6 esc, but the fact that the Vigilante motor mount won't actually accept more than one or two more teeth than stock might be a blessing in disguise?
A flat landing from as high as Exo's, or the other dude who drove it off a second story roof would most likely break any 1/6 or 1/5 scale rig in stock form I think. Not really concerned myself, since I know I'm not that courageous, LOL.
Seems the only way to really go "big" with an 8s rig is still through M2C or similar. Whether it's a TRX or Arrma, still needs help to hold up. I don't see the Vigilante getting the support needed for huge sends by the aftermarket, which I think is just fine. I wouldn't need it myself, I could be perfectly happy with 5 or 6 foot jumps from the Vigilante, just as I am from my Xmaxx and K8S.

Don't forget, Redcat is in AZ, no sales tax from AZ.. that puts the Vigilante waay under either the Arrma or TRX if we add sales tax..
I like the Vigilante, I doubt it's going to sell in any big numbers, but it's always good to have more options, if nothing else, the Vigilante gives us a cool body to use elsewhere, and even some decent tires/wheels that will almost certainly be cheaper than any other of their size.
The old Max6 G1 combo came with a 5687 motor and since the Hexfly escs are literally just rebadged Hobbywings I see no issue running a 5687 motor at all.

Negative Ghostrider pattern is full. My Kaiju EXT would go into protection on a light drive..not bash. Lol That esc was trash.
Sounds like you just got a bad esc is all.

A lot of the Youtubers do that though. Tomley, KT heck even @razorrc does it. It makes sense from a content provider perspective as it helps the videos get picked up by Google searches.

Last edited:
The old Max6 G1 combo came with a 5687 motor and since the Hexfly escs are literally just rebadged Hobbywings I see no issue running a 5687 motor at all.

Sounds like you just got a bad esc is all.

A lot of the Youtubers do that though. Tomley, KT heck even @razorrc does it. It makes sense from a content provider perspective as it helps the videos get picked up by Google searches.

Very valid point, brother

Back