ALL NEW 1/5 8S VIGILANTE from REDCAT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you are right about the manufacturing, I have noticed that the hardening on parts varies even on the same rig. kgm5512 also swapped out the fluids, I think the higher center diff fluid is much harder on the drivetrain. Its a balance between performance and wear even on 1/10 scale drivelines.
I would have to sum up the Vigilante failure to QC issues I suppose. Fluids should not affect things enough to cause a motor shaft to break. I stuffed my Kaiju center diff with an ear plug. It has held just fine for over 3 years. I can't say I really like the way it drives with the ear plug installed, but it didn't cause a failure. I have replaced both front and rear diffs in my Kaiju once over those 3 years, but the center diff is still original. I only replaced the f/r diffs because it was the same price for a complete diff as it was to replace the worn out diff outdrives and bearings.. a complete diff with bearings for the same price as cups/bearings? No brainer, LOL.

I would have to sum up the Vigilante failure to QC issues I suppose. Fluids should not affect things enough to cause a motor shaft to break. I stuffed my Kaiju center diff with an ear plug. It has held just fine for over 3 years. I can't say I really like the way it drives with the ear plug installed, but it didn't cause a failure. I have replaced both front and rear diffs in my Kaiju once over those 3 years, but the center diff is still original. I only replaced the f/r diffs because it was the same price for a complete diff as it was to replace the worn out diff outdrives and bearings.. a complete diff with bearings for the same price as cups/bearings? No brainer, LOL.

20M in the center diff is prevent the energy from moving front to back on a landing. Much harder on the motor, front and rear differentials. I am fighting this with the crap metal parts on my Rlaarlo Terminator. Stiffer fluids put more force into the drivetrain parts.

20M in the center diff is prevent the energy from moving front to back on a landing. Much harder on the motor, front and rear differentials. I am fighting this with the crap metal parts on my Rlaarlo Terminator. Stiffer fluids put more force into the drivetrain parts.
I guess I can believe that. I also forgot that the Vigilante is a 1/6 scale, moderately heavy rig, running on a 4985 motor with a 5mm shaft..so rather small for the weight of the truck. Good points. Actually I now recall that even Arrma went from 5mm to an 8mm motor shaft in the v1 rtr 8s rigs with 4985 sized motors..
FWIW, it seems that Thunder RC never really went very heavy with diff fluuds since every one of his Vigilante vids I recall seeing the front tires ballooning excessively. Maybe that has saved his drivetrain from breaking?

I've been running some Duratrax 1/5 SC tires/wheels on the K8S. They actually do okay, handle pretty well but are a hard compound so kinda slippery.. makes for some really cool drifting though!!
Would be nice if they still sold those.

Would be nice if they still sold those.
Wrong thread, but I appreciate the reply just the same!😁😉
You're right, they are discontinued. I haven't looked for them in a while to see who might still have them available. Alternatively you may be able to find them under Louis RC brand still. Same tires.
https://www.eurorc.com/product/2965...bead-lock-wheel---sport---rear---24mm-hex---2

Screenshot_20240521-140628_Samsung Internet.jpg

I guess I can believe that. I also forgot that the Vigilante is a 1/6 scale, moderately heavy rig, running on a 4985 motor with a 5mm shaft..so rather small for the weight of the truck. Good points. Actually I now recall that even Arrma went from 5mm to an 8mm motor shaft in the v1 rtr 8s rigs with 4985 sized motors..
FWIW, it seems that Thunder RC never really went very heavy with diff fluuds since every one of his Vigilante vids I recall seeing the front tires ballooning excessively. Maybe that has saved his drivetrain from breaking?

I think its more of the fact he is probably running a smaller lipo and doing shorter runs than a normal user. Thunder literally hot laps a ramp till it breaks. I would trust other reviews with normal wear and tear. The recent video has a lot of value to me, shows normal use and issues. More I watch, the more I see me driving this thing.

I think its more of the fact he is probably running a smaller lipo and doing shorter runs than a normal user. Thunder literally hot laps a ramp till it breaks. I would trust other reviews with normal wear and tear. The recent video has a lot of value to me, shows normal use and issues. More I watch, the more I see me driving this thing.
Yes, I agree. While I love watching the big air YT vids, they have little to do with what I do with my stuff. As such, I don't put a whole lot of faith in their opinions. I mean Thunder claims the Xmaxx as the all time toughest, yet Duperbash and RC Dude call it "Humpty Dumpty", LOL. "Different strokes" for sure.

This is the kind of good coverage that the Vigilante needs. Manufacturers need to see, in a non-infammatory way, that their products aren't being recommended: **Yet**. I think if redcat tunes into this as they have in the past, they will step up their game.
Screenshot_20240522_194820_YouTube.jpg

This is the kind of good coverage that the Vigilante needs. Manufacturers need to see, in a non-infammatory way, that their products aren't being recommended: **Yet**. I think if redcat tunes into this as they have in the past, they will step up their game.
View attachment 368066
Yeah, I can't say I'm surprised the teeth look so rough..tbh, I doubt TRX stock stuff looks much if any better.. also why I would never run something as heavy as MX43'S or Choppers on either an RC or TRX rig without an upgraded drivetrain. Then again, "I" don't want tires that heavy on any rc. Too much, kills handling and drivetrains without prejudice. I'm also a "ground" guy, meaning I'm more interested in keeping the wheels on the ground than in the air. To each their own of course.😁🍻

Hello, just catching up on this particular thread. A quick google search landed me here. Your right fluids should not effect drive train especially on a 1/5-1/6 scale rig. The arrmas come with 20m in the center from factory. I hope my reviews on this truck were genuine I appreciate everyone’s feedback

Thanks kgm5512!!

Honestly if people stopped putting earplugs in their diffs and the wrong tires, they would have 10x less problems.
I agree. Making the diff so tight is almost like not having protection for the drivetrain at all. Almost like a direct drive.

Yeah, I can't say I'm surprised the teeth look so rough..tbh, I doubt TRX stock stuff looks much if any better.. also why I would never run something as heavy as MX43'S or Choppers on either an RC or TRX rig without an upgraded drivetrain. Then again, "I" don't want tires that heavy on any rc. Too much, kills handling and drivetrains without prejudice. I'm also a "ground" guy, meaning I'm more interested in keeping the wheels on the ground than in the air. To each their own of course.😁🍻
Yeah, I might be stop jumping with the big ass MX 4.3 badlands. I've had some damage that I haven't experienced before TBH. I think that the Proline Mashers or the badlands on the same rims are better for 25ft jumps 😅. With that said, I did snap my X-Maxx in half with the Mashers on it 😁

Back