Fireteam All you guys doing upgraded escs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jenny's rc. Good pricing. No warranty though.

I replace the stock esc/motor for Mmx8s/1650kv in all 1/8 scale I buy and then put it with the other 6 in a drawer

Don't put a Firma 150 into a car you care about, that's for sure.
Yeah if tossing a 150 6s Spektrum, don't replace it with the same.
If anything, run the 160 8s Spektrum ESC. And run that on 6s packs. Will have better Amp overhead. Just gear it properly.
For bashing I just go with HW, when I toss the stocker.

I hear a lot of people saying the same..so the 185 I suppose is better ? As in quality?

I can count on one hand the number of BLX185 escs that I have seen start on fire, Spektrum 150a I have lost count of how many I have seen start on fire. That's enough for me to not trust them in anything.

The heavier XLWB needs a 6S 160A ESC instead of the 4S Firma 150A they put in it. It's fine off the shelf, but not optimal for the application and will burn up especially if you over-gear or the thermal protection fails.

+1
Yeah the OG BLX185's did have a bad production run for a while. Then it was resolved. I had one fire in 2018 ( my totalled out Noto repaired under warranty) with one of my BLX185's, But it seems that the Spektrum Firma's have a worse track record. Fried 6s 150 amp Firmas seem to be more of a pattern.

I can count on one hand the number of BLX185 escs that I have seen start on fire, Spektrum 150a I have lost count of how many I have seen start on fire. That's enough for me to not trust them in anything.
Why do you think they go up in flames? Is it because people over use them and not give them rests in between runs or because they use large lipos ? I' haven't been over using mine and I give it a rest and I've been ok so far

I keep all my escs. I ditched my stock setup in my fireteam for the 1260kv/185A combo and geared it up. I've never had any spektrum esc catch fire. (I'll throw that combo in a 4s kraton when I get one) Nor have I had my xlx2 blow up in my O8S exb. It's a random thing that happens. The deal is...is that people here complain about stuff smoking...so it appears that it's a widespread problem. The thing is...is that there are a S H it ton of people out there with absolutely zero problems either their stuff because they keep it stock and maintain their toys. The minute you start deviating from stock...tinkering withs settings etc...with whatever it is...you change the dynamics of the vehicle. Then you run the risk of shortening the life of said vehicle. If you wanna play you gotta pay. Some have better luck than others. Usually the ones that don't you never hear from..

I just got home from work and I had to check my esc in my kraton and it's a blx 185 6s so I reamember someone on here told me not to worry about mine because my kraton is a v3 and that the issue was on the earlier models.either way I should be fine ,I don't beat mine up and i check my temps constantly 😁

+1
Yeah the OG BLX185's did have a bad production run for a while. Then it was resolved. I had one fire in 2018 ( my totalled out Noto repaired under warranty) with one of my BLX185's, But it seems that the Spektrum Firma's have a worse track record. Fried 6s 150 amp Firmas seem to be more of a pattern.
That was the BLX180.
Why do you think they go up in flames? Is it because people over use them and not give them rests in between runs or because they use large lipos ? I' haven't been over using mine and I give it a rest and I've been ok so far

Theory is the timing is set too high from the factory.

+1 huge agree. My center brace bar on my current Kraton is the only thing in that area I salvaged after my 150 went. I lost an entire Rustler 4x4 to a 185 on 6S. Had two do the green blink of death and retired them immediately because it's what my second 150 did before the fire. It's Castle or nothing for me now.

+1 huge agree. My center brace bar on my current Kraton is the only thing in that area I salvaged after my 150 went. I lost an entire Rustler 4x4 to a 185 on 6S. Had two do the green blink of death and retired them immediately because it's what my second 150 did before the fire. It's Castle or nothing for me now.
The green LED of death is the most common failure I see on the BLX185, but still not as common as the Firma 150a fires. I would much rather have an esc just up and stop working than start on fire.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back