And this is why I bought backup Motors and ESC's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TraverseCity420

Total Arrma Fanboy
Reaction score
I couldn't tell you why or how it managed to break like this.. I was doing NOTHING more then speed runs up and down the driveway trying to deplete a few 7600 mah's that I've charged and un-used longer then i'll admit too...

Looks like another item to send back to horizon and wake 6 months for a replacement.. as I have no doubt there motors are on order and won't be in till at least march . . .

WHAT THE FLYING ………………………...

Like how does this even happen...

Oh and this was 4S!!!!

Last edited:
you get a bad one every once in a while sorry to see that brother

Yeah seems so :( The car had been sounding a little different / Louder the last time I ran it but it was running fine and I saw no evidence of anything was wrong, then today BAM up and lost the shaft.. Weird thing is I can plug the motor in an the shaft still turns, the center diff is fine still turns.. nothing that's locked up or would give me any indication as to why this even happened.. That's a lot of force needed to snap a 5mm shaft like that.

I would assume so pinion and shaft spinning at high speed flying off.. Couldn't find the damn pinion or the rest of the shaft when I picked up the car either :(

Was the motor hot when you got to it?

NO! that's the thing it was Cool as a cucumber Temps outside were in the 30's so it wasn't a cold snap either (least I don't think)

Man, I couldn't even hazzard a guess as to why that happened then. That is so odd.

Man, I couldn't even hazzard a guess as to why that happened then. That is so odd.

Amen dood I posted on reddit too hoping someone else had this happen and knows why, My only guess an that's ALL it is cuz I don't know the full workings on the inside, but my guess is somehow the motor seized up, busted the shaft and then started spinning free again.. But what would cause it to seize up temp and then start spinning again after the shaft busted, with NO damage done to the center diff or gear?

Once support gets the motor and has a chance to look it over i'll email them and ask them if they have any idea what the hell happened and post what they say.

Hardened metals break due to the craziest of things. I know a guy whose tungsten carbide wedding ring snapped and opened up to a C shape while he was cutting the grass. Thoughts are the vibration/frequency of the mower and an imperfection in the ring. It could very well be a similar situation. Or the man upstairs just doesn't like you... Who knows?

Hardened metals break due to the craziest of things. I know a guy whose tungsten carbide wedding ring snapped and opened up to a C shape while he was cutting the grass. Thoughts are the vibration/frequency of the mower and an imperfection in the ring. It could very well be a similar situation. Or the man upstairs just doesn't like you... Who knows?

Atheist here, So if that is the case.. I'm so screwed lol

Perhaps a really good/hard rock got in between the spur/pinion. The shaft is hardened steel with a chunk cut out of it for the set screw, so that would be a fracture point if enough force was applied. We all know the torque of brushless, with the rotating mass/inertia of the spur as the truck is zipping along. Combine that with the sub freezing temps... "tink", there goes the rotor.

Perhaps a really good/hard rock got in between the spur/pinion. The shaft is hardened steel with a chunk cut out of it for the set screw, so that would be a fracture point if enough force was applied. We all know the torque of brushless, with the rotating mass/inertia of the spur as the truck is zipping along. Combine that with the sub freezing temps... "tink", there goes the rotor.
i was about to post the same thing. there is something called the ductile to brittle transition, and for metals like steel it basically means that below a certain temperature the metal becomes susceptible to snapping from low impact.

the composition of steel can be adjusted so that it becomes brittle at a lower temperature to avoid this issue, but that is probably not the case here. honestly i'd just recommend you not drive when it's that cold out.

The high here was 30 today but it felt colder. No bashing for me. That said I wouldn't think I would snap a motor shaft. That the first I've ever heard of that happening.

Maybe it's time to move of from the truck. I've seen it where people have nothing bit issues with a particular truck for no apparent reason. And it becomes frustrating as hell and it sucks the joy out of the hobby.

Yeah I've ran in way colder temps for longer periods then this but.. who knows RC cars can be weird and just randomly break because they hate you for bashing them in dirty dirty places.

You sure are having some bad luck man.

Yer telling me.. I just wanna get these suckers read to run for spring then shelf them till spring gets here at this point im over winter and im over taking them in the snow lol got most of my batteries on storage charge now just put the last 2 on the charger, which seems to be taking a dump as well but its a traxxas so that's really not a shock at all..

I'm starting to think I picked the wrong hobby and look forward to my new laptop cuz I enjoy gaming less frustration less breaking lol

sighs

I'm starting to think I picked the wrong hobby and look forward to my new laptop cuz I enjoy gaming less frustration less breaking lol

sighs

So you aren’t one of those guys that lose their mind and smash their buddy across the face with their keyboard when they get killed in COD lol

So you aren’t one of those guys that lose their mind and smash their buddy across the face with their keyboard when they get killed in COD lol

Depends do I have my weed if so then No.. If i don't have my weed I can sometimes loose my poop :p

But generally speaking I don't play much FPS like cod anymore BF5 was the last and I just got so tired of the same style matches run gun kill kill kill die respawn blah blah blah.

Anthem and Division 2 are the next ones im jumping on for a while should keep me fairly calm.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back