Any welder and machinists here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watch some videos and buy the stuff cheap at harbor freight😁 only one way to learn how😁

There are deff some amazing welders here. You tig guys are crazy, beautiful work!

I always advise against cheap welding machines. In my experience a cheap box gives cheap results and is more challenging to get decent welds with.
I primarily arc so I think Lincoln red box.
Miller or Hobart makes decent affordable wire boxes.

Never use cheap auto lenses. Slow lense is not good on the only eyes you got.

I used to own a nice miller TIG machine. I would weld aluminum, stainless, and steel. This was one of my hardest projects. (Exhaust manifold for a Honda k20 swap into a Toyota mr2 Spyder)

Screenshot_2023-07-09-10-20-13-22_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg

There are deff some amazing welders here. You tig guys are crazy, beautiful work!

I always advise against cheap welding machines. In my experience a cheap box gives cheap results and is more challenging to get decent welds with.
I primarily arc so I think Lincoln red box.
Miller or Hobart makes decent affordable wire boxes.

Never use cheap auto lenses. Slow lense is not good on the only eyes you got.
I cut my teeth on a Lincoln Tombstone! When I got into Mig at home in the 90's I got a Craftsman mig welder. I pushed that sucker hard, way past it's duty cycle and it still runs but starts buzzing hard, lol. About five years back I upgraded to a Hobart 210MVP and couldn't be happier. Most of the parts are actually stamped or molded with the Miller name anyway. Very consistent and a joy to work with.

In regards to auto lenses I learned my lesson... Got a Miller helmet and it's the bomb Brother plus I can get magnification lenses for my old eyes.

I’m just the engineer and more of a grinder when actually doing the process but my teammates are an extremely talented bunch of artists. For scale reference their weld tables are 6x12’.

Much respect for the craft 🙏

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back