Any Jeep Guys Here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rottster

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton EXB
I've got a whole stable full... The Blue XJ (Cherokee) hass been my daily for quite a while, has 300k miles on it, but built the engine about 100k ago... Still has 30 PSI of oil pressure at idle after a 20 mile stop and go commute on 100F day. There's much, more in regards to this engine and suspension build but don't want to bore you all. The WJ I built for my wife, just a little lift and P265/65 17's, 4.7 liter SOHC V8. The YJ is lifted to the sky with a 9" rear leaf, over the axle conversion with an anti-wrap bar. Front is 12" King coilover with long arm. Once I get the 5.3 LS swapped in and the rest of the suspension/steering/driveline sorted out, I'll show more pictures but it's insane tall. Edit: found a pic with my wife and the YJ and she's 5'8".

IMG_6044.JPG

IMG_6045.JPG

IMG_6046.JPG

IMG_6047.JPG

IMG_6048.JPG

IMG_6049.JPG

IMG_6050.JPG

Alice YJ.jpg

Always been a Jeep fan! XJ's are a favorite!

4.0L HO Straight 6, best engine ever.

How much does your pet bear weigh?
We got him down to a manageable 147+, he was 152 and change in that picture. And yes, we call him our "House Bear".
Always been a Jeep fan! XJ's are a favorite!

4.0L HO Straight 6, best engine ever.
Great engine! People female dog about the rear seal leakage, but so what, minor stuff. This engine I did the best of the best.... 2000 block with the main cap girdle, 2000 style Speed Pro flat top coated pistons with the thinner metric rings, 5.2 Magnum rods, Magnum beehive springs, 2.02 intake and 1.60 exhaust valves, '92 heads I ported myself, had my machine shop zero deck the block, stock cam pretty much, spec'ed out a .040" cometic head gasket for proper squish and had both the deck and head finished to 50RA as Cometic suggests, port matched the later manifold, big throttle body, Viper coil pack, etc. Throttle response is instant but instead of falling off at 3k rpm it totally picks up! Still passes emissions here in Colorado, but I had to get a Communist Califorinicated Cat...Which by the way killed my 3k power bump.

Last edited:
Had a number of jeeps over the years. ALL of them had the 4.0 inline six. Every one had nearly 300,000 and still ran when hauled away. Here in MN they use salt on the roads. So rusted they were unsafe to drive. Miss them all. If I could find one for a reasonable price, I'd be driving it right now. Anything in decent shape around here is more than the cost of gold. Lol.

Had a number of jeeps over the years. ALL of them had the 4.0 inline six. Every one had nearly 300,000 and still ran when hauled away. Here in MN they use salt on the roads. So rusted they were unsafe to drive. Miss them all. If I could find one for a reasonable price, I'd be driving it right now. Anything in decent shape around here is more than the cost of gold. Lol.
The only reason I had to rebuild the engine in this one was an ignored vacuum leak by the previous owner which burnt a piston. I still have the piston laying around in the shop somewhere...
The only reason I had to rebuild the engine in this one was an ignored vacuum leak by the previous owner which burnt a piston. I still have the piston laying around in the shop somewhere...
Found it!

Attachments

• IMG_6053.JPG
    IMG_6053.JPG
    257.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I was always impressed with the throttle response and the crazy torque that engine had. I heard 98 was the last good year to get before they started cheapening the head and axles. Although it seems like the 99-01's lived long lives too.

I had the 5spd Manual, ahh miss that truck to this day.

nat geo GIF by Nat Geo Wild

I was always impressed with the throttle response and the crazy torque that engine had. I heard 98 was the last good year to get before they started cheapening the head and axles. Although it seems like the 99-01's lived long lives too.

I had the 5spd Manual, ahh miss that truck to this day.

nat geo GIF by Nat Geo Wild

Yeah the later heads kinda suck and didn't flow like the earlier heads, no doubt. The later Chrysler 8 1/4 rear axle was and is not a bad set up and you can swap to rear disc brakes off a Liberty. The early Dana 30 front axle has a high pinion of which I have, and will truss and they do really well if you don't crank the wheel and full throttle it. NO axle does well under that kind of stress. I've already welded in a sub-frame kit... ;) They are sooo much fun! It's a 4wd toaster, lol. BTW, if you all see me on the trails, don't open the door... It's his Jeep too!

BatJeep.jpg

Last edited:
Another pic of the House/Jeep bear. He has full run of the property hence the cattle gate. He tore up a cyclone metal gate, no joke. I got pictures somewhere... I had to drop in two 8" 10' long pipes 4' down in concrete to support the gates and him bashing against it.

AliceBatXJ (1).jpg

Found the pics, lol.

Batcy1.jpg

Batcy2.jpg

Batcy3.jpg

Last edited:
'18 Jeep Rubicon - In 2022 it was 2 of 2 Jeeps built exactly the same. At the end of '22, I started building more things into it. As it sits right now, it is a 1 of a kind Wranger.

Here are the specs:

DEMON Hemi Motor - 840HP (Supercharged)
Mojave Hood (functioning)
Teraflex Alpine IR Long Arm 4"
Fox Dual Rate Coilovers - fully adjustable
PSC Hydraulic Assist
Dana 60 Front / Dana 80 Rear
F/R Axles are 1 ton 8 lug w/ locking hubs
5:38 Gears
Fully Belly Aluminum Skid Plates
Front and Rear Seats Katzkin Leather
Rock Slide Engineering Step Sliders
40" Baja XS Pro Tires
40" Maxxis Razr MT tires - (my street tires not pictured - LOL)
KMC Beadlock 17" Rims for the Maxxis Tires (2 sets)
Air Lockers w/ onboard compressor
Barbarian Big Brake Kit - (6 Piston)
Paddle Shifters

Currently waiting on prototypes to finish, and a steering wheel - (pic) - but it's gonna say Jeep, and not SRT in the middle of it. It will also have a RED stripe and not a orange one.
bigger gas tank - addon to the one I have now

future mods?

full roll cage
snorkel kit - this is only a possibility - I'm 50/50 on it right now - I haven't needed a reason to get one.
bigger tires - something around the 52" mark

Untitled (597 x 600).jpg

'18 Jeep Rubicon - In 2022 it was 2 of 2 Jeeps built exactly the same. At the end of '22, I started building more things into it. As it sits right now, it is a 1 of a kind Wranger.

Here are the specs:

DEMON Hemi Motor - 840HP (Supercharged)
Mojave Hood (functioning)
Teraflex Alpine IR Long Arm 4"
Fox Dual Rate Coilovers - fully adjustable
PSC Hydraulic Assist
Dana 60 Front / Dana 80 Rear
F/R Axles are 1 ton 8 lug w/ locking hubs
5:38 Gears
Fully Belly Aluminum Skid Plates
Front and Rear Seats Katzkin Leather
Rock Slide Engineering Step Sliders
40" Baja XS Pro Tires
40" Maxxis Razr MT tires - (my street tires not pictured - LOL)
KMC Beadlock 17" Rims for the Maxxis Tires (2 sets)
Air Lockers w/ onboard compressor
Barbarian Big Brake Kit - (6 Piston)
Paddle Shifters

Currently waiting on prototypes to finish, and a steering wheel - (pic) - but it's gonna say Jeep, and not SRT in the middle of it. It will also have a RED stripe and not a orange one.
bigger gas tank - addon to the one I have now

future mods?

full roll cage
snorkel kit - this is only a possibility - I'm 50/50 on it right now - I haven't needed a reason to get one.
bigger tires - something around the 52" mark

View attachment 318084
Wicked cool! I could watch and hear that supercharger whine and big 40's screech 100 times! Truly, the Dana 60 and 80 have me jealous as hell!!!!!
Oh hell yeah. Love my comanche mj!! 1989 4.0 4wd 5 speed 🤤🤤View attachment 318086
Super clean build my friend! I have LED headlights on my XJ, and my only complaint is that they ice up in below zero weather... However, i love the cut-off and wide beam they give me.

Super clean build my friend! I have LED headlights on my XJ, and my only complaint is that they ice up in below zero weather... However, i love the cut-off and wide beam they give me.
Thanks! I live on the west coast, lowest I have seen it get is about 25*, so no need to worry about that... My next concern is more power and potentially a posi🤣🤣

Thanks! I live on the west coast, lowest I have seen it get is about 25*, so no need to worry about that... My next concern is more power and potentially a posi🤣🤣

4.56 gear set shims and bearings, chromoly front drive shafts and ARB lockers all bought BEFORE I got married 4 years ago. I know I have the Truss kit here somewhere, lol. Compressor is already installed, great for airing back up after the trails...

IMG_6057.JPG

IMG_6058.JPG

Just gear it down, it's easier on the transmission and gives ya a nice whack off the line! I'm presently on 31 BFG AT's and swap to 32 KO3's when I'm ready to hit the trails. Transmission gets hot with stock 3.55 gears here in the land of no air (above 10,000 Ft.). Once I get the 4.56 gears in, it gives the engine that much more chance to gulp in whatever air here is available per tire rotation and gets the cam in it's sweet spot.

Last edited:
Hey I have a shitbox too. 96 GC 5.2L on a 3.5" IRO lift and literal planks of wood for shocks. Has some other farkles too.

Unfortunately because the ride is so garbage we never use it anymore. Been thinking of getting new shocks for it.

SmartSelect_20230820_075126_Facebook.jpg

SmartSelect_20230820_075254_Facebook.jpg

FB_IMG_1692543119006.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back