Arrma 6s chassis idea???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigtim29

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
So I know traxxas chassis are plastic and seem to be pretty rigid. Would a 5-6mm thick plastic chassis for an arrma 6s rig with the same bracing they have be good? Would be lighter and more flexible.

I saw a guy on Talbot's videos that made a chassis out of 1/2" thick cutting board (HDPE). He was using it for the long jump competition. I think as long as it was braced with alloy chassis braces and a T2T brace of some sort to keep it from flexing a LOT, it would likely hold up for a while. Not sure how much lighter it would be over a M2C 7075 deck or Scorched Parts titanium deck.

I saw a guy on Talbot's videos that made a chassis out of 1/2" thick cutting board (HDPE). He was using it for the long jump competition. I think as long as it was braced with alloy chassis braces and a T2T brace of some sort to keep it from flexing a LOT, it would likely hold up for a while. Not sure how much lighter it would be over a M2C 7075 deck or Scorched Parts titanium deck.
I kinda want to try this now, seems like a good idea, half inch think is a bit much though IMO, but then again I wasn’t the one who made that chassis.

With a plastic chassis you would probably want honeycomb or some sort of molded or machined in bracing like on the 3s chassis. A flat plastic chassis might not hold up that great, especially on a 1/8th scale.
Something similar to this.
4ec2b00524f97048ea8e332d7d757e2a.jpg

With a plastic chassis you would probably want honeycomb or some sort of molded or machined in bracing like on the 3s chassis. A flat plastic chassis might not hold up that great, especially on a 1/8th scale.
Something similar to this.
View attachment 114098
If it's 1/2" thick solid deck, it might. lol!

6m plastic will warp and flex, even with bracing. Keep in mid that you have 2-3 HP build into the platform. Now picture what 2 horses will do to your sheet of plastic ;)
You have to go thicker or create a mold with build in support, honeycomb etc.
Feel free to try and prove us wrong, go with the cardboard body from the other thread and you have a cost effective solution :p definetly worth a try imho but doomed to fail in a spectacular manner.

6m plastic will warp and flex, even with bracing. Keep in mid that you have 2-3 HP build into the platform. Now picture what 2 horses will do to your sheet of plastic ;)
You have to go thicker or create a mold with build in support, honeycomb etc.
Feel free to try and prove us wrong, go with the cardboard body from the other thread and you have a cost effective solution :p definetly worth a try imho but doomed to fail in a spectacular manner.
Haha if I had the materials and equipment I would have jumped right on it and tried to make my own chassis, that would be pretty cool. I thought the honey comb design was meant to reduce weight, is it a form of support?

Both. You need strength which is material thickness (to a degree) the honeycomb adds mechanical stiffness with less material.
Plastic forms require a high tooling cost upfront ($100000-200000) but the resulting chassis is cheaper vs metal is low cost upfront but higher in production. If you get the chassis wrong in the initial run it's bad for business, hence Arrma picked metal.
Nobody would want a 1/2 inch chassis that only requires drilling.

I think the strength of the Xmaxx chassis comes from multiple complementary plastic molded parts being screwed together as braces. They all have complex shapes with ridges and such. It isn’t a flat plane like the 6S chassis. You would have to reimagine a chassis that integrates the T2T braces in a way that provides more structure than a flat piece of plastic.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back