Granite Awful Noise coming from engine?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aloring3

Premium Member!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
So my son and I got to run his car for about 10 seconds before we started hearing an awful grinding noise. We thought it was the wheels but took the motor out and the wheels spun fine. I tried to adjust the red screw into the motor, loosen and tighten, neither worked. Any ideas to get it up and running before he has to go to school tomorrow, lol? I’m lost and too new to have any idea. Thanks
Rick

So my son and I got to run his car for about 10 seconds before we started hearing an awful grinding noise. We thought it was the wheels but took the motor out and the wheels spun fine. I tried to adjust the red screw into the motor, loosen and tighten, neither worked. Any ideas to get it up and running before he has to go to school tomorrow, lol? I’m lost and too new to have any idea. Thanks
Rick

The pinion/spur mesh could have come loose..
You'll just need to open up the Power Module to see or take a clear pic and let us look.
We'll be able to tell you..

Thank you for the quick response. I think this is what you were referencing. Thanks again.

IMG_6414.jpeg

IMG_6415.jpeg

IMG_6416.jpeg

IMG_6417.jpeg

IMG_6418.jpeg

Does everything look correct? I didn’t change anything. So it was making the noise with it, how it currently is.

Last edited:
We gave it a shot, cleaned but maybe it is coming from the box between the tires. There must be a fear of some sort in there.
Almost worse when you take your finger off the throttle. When you go from full throttle to nothing.

We gave it a shot, cleaned but maybe it is coming from the box between the tires. There must be a fear of some sort in there.
Almost worse when you take your finger off the throttle. When you go from full throttle to nothing.

Could be the rear diff..
You may want to disassemble that too just to be sure.
Are you the original owner?

Yes, we haven’t used them in a couple years because they were in our storage unit. They worked all week and then today it started making that noise. I’m trying to remember all the ways/things to check but I’ve been out of hobby a couple years. Almost like breaks but I don’t think they have breaks.

Does this look worn out? It’s a piece of plastic with no pad.

image.jpg

Have you been driving on roads or sidewalks that have been salted? I ask because of the white residue on your pinion.

If the noise is coming from the rear (between the wheels), as you described, you'll have ro remove the differential and open/inspect from there.

Like @Tex Koder mentioned needs to be cleaned out. Almost looks like metal/plastic shavings. The open diffs tend to collect a lot of dirt and debris on the 3s vehicles.

So I took it all apart this morning. I will never get it back together….lol. But see the pic below, it appears the housing melted. Could that cause the nasty noise. I also attached pics of the gears. They seem to look ok.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back