Outcast Arrma 4s clacking noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamwins

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Grom
  2. Outcast 4s
  3. Typhon TLR
My outcast 4s seems to have a clatter to it which appears to be from the rear ie: with it powered off and I lift the front end and roll back tires. There’s a fairly loud clatter and you can sorta feel the teeth on the gears rotating if that makes sense. 😆 I could be mistaken but I don’t recall it sounding like this. Appreciate the advice!
A

My outcast 4s seems to have a clatter to it which appears to be from the rear ie: with it powered off and I lift the front end and roll back tires. There’s a fairly loud clatter and you can sorta feel the teeth on the gears rotating if that makes sense. 😆 I could be mistaken but I don’t recall it sounding like this. Appreciate the advice!
A

You'll want to disassemble the rear diffs housing and do a quick inspection.
Look closely at that tooths making sure they aren't chipped/missing a few.

Get ready to start ordering parts from Jenny‘s

How does it sound when running it? If it's quiet when running it, there's probably nothing wrong. These cars have a loud clacking noise when pushing them or spinning the wheels by hand. That's normal. It's cause by the magnetic pull in the motor and the gears.

Last edited:
How does it sound when running it? If it's quiet when running it, there's probably nothing wrong. These cars have a loud clacking noise when pushing them or spinning the wheels by hand. That's normal. It's cause by the magnetic pull in the motor and the gears.
I wouldn’t say it’s quiet but it
You'll want to disassemble the rear diffs housing and do a quick inspection.
Look closely at that tooths making sure they aren't chipped/missing a few.
Thanks for the tip, had no missing teeth. Didnt see a ton of grease. The crown gear I believe it’s called shows a little wear along the edges. I’ll attach photo and maybe someone can better describe it. But the one thing I did find was in the motor housing there was a ton of this super fine dust or dirt kinda seemed like a baking soda consistency that I dumped out. After putting it all back together. It’s considerably more quiet. Lastly I found the plastic grooves/teeth no the plastic driveshaft to have a bit of wear on them. Is the driveshaft best to replace with another stock one or any recommendations for an alternate? Thanks for your time folks. Much appreciated.

A

IMG_1762.jpeg

IMG_1766.jpeg

I wouldn’t say it’s quiet but it

Thanks for the tip, had no missing teeth. Didnt see a ton of grease. The crown gear I believe it’s called shows a little wear along the edges. I’ll attach photo and maybe someone can better describe it. But the one thing I did find was in the motor housing there was a ton of this super fine dust or dirt kinda seemed like a baking soda consistency that I dumped out. After putting it all back together. It’s considerably more quiet. Lastly I found the plastic grooves/teeth no the plastic driveshaft to have a bit of wear on them. Is the driveshaft best to replace with another stock one or any recommendations for an alternate? Thanks for your time folks. Much appreciated.

A

View attachment 335936

View attachment 335937
Wow, time to seal that power module up or cut a hole in the chassis (I go with the sealing option).

See here: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/help-me-upgrade-my-senton-3s-for-sand.20322/#post-278043

Based on the amount of debris your bearings are probably going/gone. Check the motor bearing too they are likely done (motor shaft play).

Go Away Kick GIF by JcrOffroad

Thank you for the mechanical explanation on this. That makes sense. The noise I believe was mostly due to the amount of dirt in the motor gear box. Which was probably making for some shenanigans in there, getting between the tolerances etc. some wear on crown but by push test it’s noticeably more smooth and quiet. I run my truck mostly in places that have signs about trespassers, I’ve yet to see any out there but I prefer to keep the noise to a minimum as to not draw attention of these people wherever they may be hiding 😆

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back