Typhon Clicking Noise Coming From Rear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBackyardBasher

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
This morning I was running my Typhon 3s on the street when in the middle of a pass it loss a lot of speed and started to have a horrible clicking noise (Sounds like a impact wrench).
Not the gearbox, pinion, or spur. Diff teeth look ok. Help

Clicking sound only comes from the Main/ Input gears.
If only looking for chipped or damaged teeth, you are not looking close enough at both the Main and/or Input gears. Are they shimmed properly? Were they checked and shimmed when new out the box? How much run time is on those diffs? Were they checked after the very first 15 -20 packs run?
If not any of the above, that was your very first user mistake(s).
Govern yourself accordingly, going forward.
:cool:

Last edited:
Thank you SrC. I have not shimmed my dif. I do not know how much runtime is on the diff either and they weren't checked often.

This morning I was running my Typhon 3s on the street when in the middle of a pass it loss a lot of speed and started to have a horrible clicking noise (Sounds like a impact wrench).
Not the gearbox, pinion, or spur. Diff teeth look ok. Help
Are your front and rear diffs plastic? If yes I bet its the rear outdrive gear. It wore out so bad the teeth are pointed and missing 2 or 3 teeth. This is from my son's granite, just about to loose teeth.
16905652512136446861444136703484.jpg

Thank you SrC. I have not shimmed my dif. I do not know how much runtime is on the diff either and they weren't checked often.
At least you are honest going forward. You are not alone. Help is here if you need to understand shimming better.
Good to always have a "rough idea" with run time use . Need to guage yourself. The manual does state run time usage, and the maintenance required at those intervals. A rough idea is to take every pack used, and consider that is 10 -15 minutes of "run time" with eack pack, Preventative maintenance is a key factor with these RC platforms.

Last edited:
I have figured out the issue. Part of the diff teeth split off as I was figuring out the issue. Thank you all for your help
Try not to slam the typhon into wheelies. Nice and smooth. The more you bounce off the wheelie bar the rear wheels also come off the ground. It's when the rear wheels come down the diff and outdrive gear get worn out faster. And it's a hole lot easier saying smooth throttle for doing wheelies than doing!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back