Typhon Back in the hobby after almost a 15 year break

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dparis88

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Just saying hi getting back into the hobby had mostly nitro and 2 cycle years ago a couple of electric, amazing how everything changed to electric any I was always tinkering around back in the day for more speed and power and I always bought base models to me it was more fun starting with nothing and building a speed machine from the ground up…. Any way picked up a Typhon mega about two weeks ago and honestly this thing is slower them smell I’m looking for ideas how to make a little faster with more torque running nimh batteries I know lipo would be better I’m not sure about lipo yet I had a few back in the day and had a battery go up in smoke on me

62C8B409-93DF-4027-BA67-64E23F59EFAA.jpeg

Welcome to the forum! Nice rigs! Follow the general guide lines on lipos and you'll be fine. Most incidents are user error. What 2 stroke rigs did you have?

Only real way to get more power out of either of them in your pic is to go BL and Lipo.

NiMh packs will actually give you more punch right off the charger because they charge up to a voltage higher than lipo (7 cell NiMh that is) but the power falls off quickly (sag) using NiMh. Lipo packs will hold the voltage longer. 6 cell NiMh only will charge to about 7.8V, 7 cell Nimh will charge up to 9.6V.

Welcome to the money pit. Be careful, they have a tendency to multiply when you are not looking. :LOL:

I got back into it in 2019 after a 30+ year break and ended up with 4 Traxxas cars that year. I took a break from new cars during the pandemic but I got back in full swing last year with 3 new Traxxas Drag Slashes, and 5 (soon to be 6) Arrma cars. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the forum! Nice rigs! Follow the general guide lines on lipos and you'll be fine. Most incidents are user error. What 2 stroke rigs did you have?
Hpi Baja I don’t remember the model but it was a losi i also still have a boat that a 30 cc making 4.5 Hp and builed a boat from scratch with twin 2cycle
Only real way to get more power out of either of them in your pic is to go BL and Lipo.

NiMh packs will actually give you more punch right off the charger because they charge up to a voltage higher than lipo (7 cell NiMh that is) but the power falls off quickly (sag) using NiMh. Lipo packs will hold the voltage longer. 6 cell NiMh only will charge to about 7.8V, 7 cell Nimh will charge up to 9.6V.
Thinking of buying the esc and motor that comes in the ARRMA 3s already upgraded spur gear and pinion to the steel….what is a good lipo battery thank you for you’re input
Welcome to the money pit. Be careful, they have a tendency to multiply when you are not looking. :LOL:

I got back into it in 2019 after a 30+ year break and ended up with 4 Traxxas cars that year. I took a break from new cars during the pandemic but I got back in full swing last year with 3 new Traxxas Drag Slashes, and 5 (soon to be 6) Arrma cars. :rolleyes:
Yeah I’m on my way there started with the Traxxas but always wanted an ARRMA both were bought same day and honestly the Traxxas for stock is pretty quick for stock

Welcome back! I've only recently joined the site, but it's great, with very helpful people.

Your earlier machines sound great! Pictures would be really interesting, if you had any. The big 1/5 machines must be so cool. I've been out of the ground RC hobby for a similar timeframe, my last were NiCad and nitro. But brushless and LiPos are a game changer. I got a Traxxas Sledge, it's huge (compared to what I've had before), tops out around 50+ out of the box, and pulls wheelies when already going maybe 25+, which is crazy to me.

LiPos definitely require learning some stuff, but they have a lot of performance benefits over NiMh. Especially if you're looking to go fast, I'd encourage reading up on LiPos, and trying them. There is plenty of good info in the Electronics section: https://www.arrmaforum.com/forums/arrma-electronics/

Thinking of buying the esc and motor that comes in the ARRMA 3s already upgraded spur gear and pinion to the steel….what is a good lipo battery thank you for you’re input
For your application with that unit, any 3s pack will work from amain/horizon ETC or even amazon if that's your flavor. You'll need a charger and a balance board but those usually come with chargers these days. The "best" lipos are too subjectable. ;)

Hello ppl got a 3s typhon wanted to upgrade to go faster but think I have bought the wrong thing I bought a xeee 6000 mah it just fits in the battery tray could somebody please point me in the right direction or not upti you thanks already been a member looking for guidance off use guys that know what you are doing but if you could reply to something would be great if you were sitting where am sitting and nobody wants to hel or guide you is pretty messed up the way it is looks as if i have just been ignored and its not nice as I treat ppl the way they treat me thanks

I see you have some areokroil, it is a great lubricant but it will eat rubber and I believe it’s not good for plastic…

Hello ppl got a 3s typhon wanted to upgrade to go faster but think I have bought the wrong thing I bought a xeee 6000 mah it just fits in the battery tray could somebody please point me in the right direction or not upti you thanks already been a member looking for guidance off use guys that know what you are doing but if you could reply to something would be great if you were sitting where am sitting and nobody wants to hel or guide you is pretty messed up the way it is looks as if i have just been ignored and its not nice as I treat ppl the way they treat me thanks
Your messsage is not clear.
Buy a battery that fits. Need to check lipo tray dimensions in the manual and buy that size lipo. Read the manual better. It is your bible.
Hope I understood your question. Maybe not.
Have you introduced yourself as a new member yet?
Best way to break the ice here.
There is plenty of help here, if you go about it the right way.

Sorry, can't tell what it is your asking. Please try again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back