Best motor purchases for high/low kv test

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logan's_Rcs

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm really considering purchasing both a TP 4060 1350kv, and a 4060 1950kv just to see which one is truly more efficient on 6s usage geared for the same speed. I would end up selling the one that performs worse, and be out probably $50 or so, but it may be worth the test just to actually pinpoint this high/low kv issue I've been posting about recently.

Are there any other motors of the same size/different kv's that you would recommend I try? I'm open to ideas as I'd be spending around $280 on the 4060's. I thought about trying hobbystar motors, but I'm unsure what their QC is like, and from what I've heard, some people have great experiences with one, and another person may have a terrible experience with another of the same type.

Secondly, if I were to actually test this theory, what would be the best way to do it? Gear for the same speed on the same day, and do ten passes at full speed to see which motor runs warmer? I feel as though there are too many variables to perform a perfect test, but I think it would be interesting anyway. Besides, I'm going to be building a new 1/8th rig soon, so I need a motor anyway, right?

Thanks!

Will be very difficult to test. Would need like a motor analyzer or something that removes all variance. For the most part you get what you pay for in the world of motors. Just normal bashing does not really require super high end motors. Speed would not necessarily be a good overall test. Heat also would not be a great test as the cans are constructed differently. I would say buy the best motor you can for your application and budget. The Chinese motors are a crap shoot…..some are good…..some not so much. With HW, Castle, and other name brands you can normally count on them to perform as expected. If you enjoy running the tests then go for it. I would love to see your conclusions.

Doing the math, you can certainly get the same top speed numbers from either setup by swapping gears. However, you will get more torque from the lower KV motor. The higher KV motors are typically used in lighter cars.
1706893517508.png

1706893561543.png

In theory, the lower KV will spin up to speed faster and put less load on your batteries. But you need a bigger pinion to get the same RPM.

This is all theoretical math and the specific car, setup, and environment makes the difference on what works for your application.

What car you targeting and what do you want to do with it?

Doing the math, you can certainly get the same top speed numbers from either setup by swapping gears. However, you will get more torque from the lower KV motor. The higher KV motors are typically used in lighter cars.
View attachment 346233
View attachment 346235

In theory, the lower KV will spin up to speed faster and put less load on your batteries. But you need a bigger pinion to get the same RPM.

This is all theoretical math and the specific car, setup, and environment makes the difference on what works for your application.

What car you targeting and what do you want to do with it?
This is just a test to figure out which version of the same motor is more efficient. Plus, contrary to popular belief, lower kv motors don't actually have more torque. The length of the can and rotor have more to do with torque than kv rating does.

This is just a test to figure out which version of the same motor is more efficient. Plus, contrary to popular belief, lower kv motors don't actually have more torque. The length of the can and rotor have more to do with torque than kv rating does.

Not that I have answer, but what do you mean by more efficient, under what conditions?

Back