Big Rock 3s 17mm hex adapter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it worth it to put on the adapters when proline makes a good tire in the 14mm hex already.

Those multi hex proline wheels have a bad reputation for cracking I believe. I don't have the info in front of me, try searching the wheels and keyword crack/cracked.
They sell an aluminum center that costs a ridiculous amount to stop that.

Seen many run them happily also. In the air I suppose.

Welcome to the forum

Is it worth it to put on the adapters when proline makes a good tire in the 14mm hex already.
Hello and Welcome!

I used the 14mm from Proline and have had zero breaks. I do not send my BR to the moon. Yes, I do some jumps...but hard ground bashing is where I like it. Crashes, hard hits, flips, etc., never had one to break the way I bash...I'm on it.

I have an extra set if one breaks.... I still have not touched those.

As posted above, do more research!

I have the Hot Racing 17mm adapters. The barrel nuts kept falling off for me, even with thread lock. Maybe it’s because I’m running 4S, but it seems to be a common issue from the Amazon reviews.

I also have a set of Proline MX28’s that came in a Craigslist Big Rock rig, and one of them was cracked through the hex and wheel. Since I didn’t do it, I can’t say if it was abused or not.

I definitely can’t recommend the Beadlock Duratrax 6-pack MT belted tires/wheels. The tires kept falling off the wheels until I glued them. Then, the hexes warped causing the tires to wobble.

Also tried the Granite tires and I kept ripping them apart from high wheel speed.

In the end, I’m using the stock Ragnaroks but am going to try the Prolines once I get a new 4th wheel. Maybe some day the HR adapters again with red Loctite, it was fun running 3.8” wheels with those.

Welcome to the forum, man.
7szade.gif

Using adapters will give you more tire and rim options in the future.if you just want to run them prolines at 14mm then I suppose adapters are not needed.allways good to have a set around.becarefull going up to much on a tire size especially if your diffs don't ask for it .check your temps if you do .

There are a few reasons to change to 17mm, but if none of them apply to you, then there is no reason to change.

One reason is to get more tire options. Only Arrma makes 14mm tires, so you have to either go to 12mm or 17mm to get more options. But, as you've said, Proline now makes adapters, so if Proline offers the tire options you're interested in, this is not a reason to change.

The other reason is 14mm hexes strip more easily than 17mm hexes. If you keep stripping out your 14mm wheels, then you need 17mm. If not, this is not a reason to change.

For me, a major reason was the 14mm axles were not durable enough. Even when landing jumps properly, they bent and snapped. The Typhon 17mm axles are MUCH thicker. I've never bent or broken or had any kind of problem whatsoever with them. More than I needed 17mm, I needed the thicker axles. But if you're not bending your axles often, this is not a reason to change.

As a final note. changing for added durability only goes for the Typhon 17mm hexes and axles. Hot Racing and M2C 17mm adapters DO NOT ADD DURABILITY. They actually decrease durability. They still use the stock axles. Now that weak axle is directly connected to an all aluminum extension that doesn't flex, the axle and everything else connected to the adapter is so much more likely to break.

I've used the Hot Racing 17mm adapters. They were by far the most problematic part I have ever had to deal with. I could never get the loc-tite to hold. Once the loc-tite gives, the wheel goes flying and you lose your wheel pin. I went through countless pins. The M2C Racing adapters are almost identical in design. M2C adds a longer nut, which may help the loc-tite hold better and reinforce the axle more. But I've already seen videos that show the M2C adapters are prone to the same problems as the Hot Racing adapters.

The Typhon 17mm conversion is flawless. 100% durable and reliable. If you're going to change to 17mm I highly recommend using the Typhon 17mm axles and strongly discourage Hot Racing adapters. Also, even though I've never used them, I think the M2C adapters are going to be just as problematic as the Hot Racing and in any case, there's no way they are as reliable as the Typhon 17mm hexes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back