Blow dryer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
heat gun works better.some people boil them in hot water to.

Has anyone used a hair dryer to unmount tires ?
I've seen it done but it takes a long time.
I have tried a few different ways.

Boiling them has never worked for me. I boiled the tire for an hour and it still wouldn't budge.

The one way that I have done it that has worked pretty well for me was I went to Menards bought a thing of acetone and a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, I dumped the acetone in the bucket until I had a good 2 inches in the bottom then I stuck some rocks in the bottom of the bucket so they were above the acetone. I put the tires in the bucket on top of the rocks then stuck the lid on the bucket and let them sit for a day. I opened the bucket the next day and the tires pretty much fell off the wheels.

I've been wanting to try this method out.

Boiling them has never worked for me. I boiled the tire for an hour and it still wouldn't budge.

The one way that I have done it that has worked pretty well for me was I went to Menards bought a thing of acetone and a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, I dumped the acetone in the bucket until I had a good 2 inches in the bottom then I stuck some rocks in the bottom of the bucket so they were above the acetone. I put the tires in the bucket on top of the rocks then stuck the lid on the bucket and let them sit for a day. I opened the bucket the next day and the tires pretty much fell off the wheels.

Acetone method ill try that one out

Has anyone used a hair dryer to unmount tires ?
I've baked off many sets of tires. If you google it, you'll get the necessary recommendations. Never lost a wheel or tire with this method

I have the Exabytes from my Typhon elevated over some acetone now in one of these. I stuck em in last night and will check in an hour to see if they've loosened. I will report back.

Will it work

Full day sitting in acetone on one side and 2 days gets all 4 tires or couple hrs
You don't want the tires in the acetone hence the reason for the rocks you are just using the fumes from the acetone.

Trying to sneak my girl Nail polish out the bathroom but she in the hallway and have to pass to get to garage and have no pockets damn it, it’s acetone or do you need commercial strength acetone?
Idk I've always used regular acetone, nail polish remover isn't straight acetone so it might take longer.

Trying to sneak my girl Nail polish out the bathroom but she in the hallway and have to pass to get to garage and have no pockets damn it, it’s acetone or do you need commercial strength acetone?
You'll probably need about a quart of acetone at least depending on the size container you use. Costs about $8 at Home Depot. Also you may need to add more as the process goes on because the stuff evaporates quickly unless you have a tight fitting lid. Nail polish remover that is pure acetone will probably cost a little more marketed to women and in smaller packages but I'm only guessing.

You'll probably need about a quart of acetone at least depending on the size container you use. Costs about $8 at Home Depot. Also you may need to add more as the process goes on because the stuff evaporates quickly unless you have a tight fitting lid. Nail polish remover that is pure acetone will probably cost a little more marketed to women and in smaller packages but I'm only guessing.
That's why I used the 5 gallon bucket the lid fits and seals up real nice, but you need 2 buckets for 1/8th scale tires.

That's why I used the 5 gallon bucket the lid fits and seals up real nice, but you need 2 buckets for 1/8th scale tires.
I hope the lid on the container I bought yesterday is tight enough. About to go out and check now but I'm betting a lot evaporated. Also instead of rocks I used some empty plastic tv dinner containers. If I have to try again I'll use some pieces of brick I have laying in the yard.

I hope the lid on the container I bought yesterday is tight enough. About to go out and check now but I'm betting a lot evaporated. Also instead of rocks I used some empty plastic tv dinner containers. If I have to try again I'll use some pieces of brick I have laying in the yard.
Don't use brick it soaks up the acetone.

Don't use brick it soaks up the acetone.
I'll have to find some rocks.
I'm happy to report that I didn't experience much evaporation and the tires are progressively seperating from the wheels. I think it should take another go overnight so I flipped em and stuck the lid back on. Didn't add more acetone but will when I find a better "rack" to elevate the tires. I may have a stainless cooking rack that'll fit.

Also, all my stuff at Home Depot today was free because I cancelled my HD card (that didn't have a balance) and signed up for a new one. When it comes in the mail, I'll cut it up just like the first one. Got about $25 worth of stuff.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back