Big Rock Blx100 fan options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
I'm ordering the 25x25 rocket fan for the blx100 on my big rock.

Unless someone has a better setup/idea?
I'm not against removing the plastic on top in order to mount something but I havnt seen any setups where anything else was used.

Think I should just stick to the 25x25 and keep the plastic until I upgrade esc's?

He's talking esc not motor.
Doh!!

giphy (3) (15).gif

I wasn't sure if there was any other "mod" folks do to them to get the most out of it. I'm no newbie but I'm newer to arrma stuff and best thing to do is ask lol. Theres a lot of tricks folks come up with so.. you never know!

25x25 rocket and stock plastic top then. 😎

Still running stock fans here. If you go with a crazy fan be careful not to overload the BEC.

I have had great luck with them but I have heard they don't like to be pushed "too far".

Still running stock fans here. If you go with a crazy fan be careful not to overload the BEC.

I have had great luck with them but I have heard they don't like to be pushed "too far".

I wouldn't *think* two rocket fans would be too much. Atleast I hope not because It's getting them. Its not that the esc is overheating I just wanna keep it all cool regardless.
My slight ocd is bothering me as well with having mismatched fans.

Do you think 1 30x30 and 1 25x25 would be an issue?

Just get the "matching size" Upgrade ESC fan for the ESC. And Run as large as a 40 x40 for the motor. Using a fan mount bracket instead, with No Heatsink. Motor will run cooler. Air blowing directly at the motor. The motor is already a heatsink. Cool downs will also be faster, without using the clip on Heatsink.

Just get the "matching size" Upgrade ESC fan for the ESC. And Run as large as a 40 x40 for the motor. Using a fan mount bracket instead, with No Heatsink. Motor will run cooler. Air blowing directly at the motor. The motor is already a heatsink. Cool downs will also be faster, without using the clip on Heatsink.
The Spektrum Firma motor is a smooth can the heatsink might actually help.

Although its a smooth motor can and a HS might gain better surface area contact as a result. Even still HS don't precisely contact the Can like a PC HS on a PC Processor as one example. (where the mating surfaces are precision machined) I feel thermal transfer cooling is hindered when covered with a Heatsink. Too much Heat soak is created IMHO. More mass to cool down. That extra mass insulates the heat within the motor for longer.
My exper. dictates faster cool downs always results with a fan blowing directly to the bare Alloy Can of of the motor. It is a HS already.(y) Whether it is Finned/extruded or not. Most of the hardcore track guys never even use a HS. And a HS just makes the motor a bit heavier if anything, along with the slower cooling affect. HS are just mere Bling IMHO. A Marketting thing that took over many RTR brands. Just Looks trick if anything.
I say K.I.S.S.
If you don't run any fan at all, a HS alone with no fan may be better than nothing at all???:unsure: IDK.... But running a fan alone is best.

Last edited:
So back in the brushed motor days we'd always chuck the heat sinks and run fans directly to the motor. It was little things like that that would pull a tc4 from a 1500g car to a 1300g car. We would also machine the heat sink off the mount as it was found not to do anything but add weight. It always helped to run cooler Temps. Clearing the path for free flowing air/ forced air from the fan.

So I see the logic in what your saying @SrC

I'm going to mod the stock motor heat sink. I'll post a picture of it after and explain.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back