Body cracks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why gorilla tape? Is it just the "duct tape" that's gorilla brand? I kept looking for clear re-enforced packing tape from gorilla but didn't see it in the stores. I ended up getting some decent tape off amazon. Super sticky and very strong. I needed something I could use to patch up soft pack lipo's that get the heat shrink beat up. By the time I got the tape, my outcast body was already all cracked up.

Why gorilla tape? Is it just the "duct tape" that's gorilla brand? I kept looking for clear re-enforced packing tape from gorilla but didn't see it in the stores. I ended up getting some decent tape off amazon. Super sticky and very strong. I needed something I could use to patch up soft pack lipo's that get the heat shrink beat up. By the time I got the tape, my outcast body was already all cracked up.
Do you not like the drywall/fiberglass tape? After seeing some posts, maybe even one of yours, regarding the Outcast/Notorious body weaknesses, I went right to work reinforcing those areas with this method.

Do you not like the drywall/fiberglass tape? After seeing some posts, maybe even one of yours, regarding the Outcast/Notorious body weaknesses, I went right to work reinforcing those areas with this method.
No, didn't find anything that felt tacky enough to stick and the "duct" tape gorilla stuff just felt really heavy. Just wasn't sure what specifically people where using.

No, didn't find anything that felt tacky enough to stick and the "duct" tape gorilla stuff just felt really heavy. Just wasn't sure what specifically people where using.

Yeah duct tape made by Gorilla. I've almost used up my first roll (came in black) and I discovered their new Crystal Clear tape on Amazon and bought a roll. I'm speculating that the clear version won't be as tough as the standard black tape (clear one doesn't say 2x strength blah blah blah...) and I'll have to see how it holds up.

Tape is a bad idea. It won't stay down. When people say drywall tape. they mean drywall mesh. Drywall tape will not work. Put down drywall mesh and fill it in with shoe goo. It will work great.

Gorilla tape stays on no problem for me....fiberglass mesh and shoe goo certainly provides the best reinforcement but there is a tradeoff - it's messy to put on and takes more effort while...I did it once to a brand new Arrma Nero body and I will never do that again since it was a big pain. Give both methods a try and see which one works better for you.

When using Gorilla tape, you want to finish off each layer with a heat gun. That will make it stick a great deal longer. What ruins the application is when water, dirt, & sand get under the tape. The heat gun will melt the adhesive, shrinking the gap between the tap & the lexan. Just don't over do it.

I think it's time to do this to mine before it gets worse. Do I put the shoegoo before or after adding the drywall tape into the body ?

IMG_20190126_163200.jpgIMG_20190126_163147.jpg

I think it's time to do this to mine before it gets worse. Do I put the shoegoo before or after adding the drywall tape into the body ?

View attachment 28115View attachment 28116
Tape first. Do one section at a time, add a blob of shoegoo, then spread with a small, flat piece of cardboard. This way you can get into corners and curves better.

In addition to shoe goo/drywall tape, I used fiberglass wire fishing rods and shoe goo to reinforce the longitudinal flex and common body tear at the back of the Noto/Outcast bodies. I think a strip of carbon fiber or ABS plastic would work too but I didn't have any on hand.
IMG_1231.JPG

For the drywall mesh tape part, is one layer enough or could I add a second layer of tape for extra support before applying a thin layer of shoegoo ? Thanks !

For the drywall mesh tape part, is one layer enough or could I add a second layer of tape for extra support before applying a thin layer of shoegoo ? Thanks !
That's harder than it sounds. The drywall fiberglass tape has only a limited adhesion. If you start trying to put a second layer on, you'll find that all the strips start to move around. I always do my bodies in sections to help avoid this. No matter how much tape and shoo goo you put on, the body will never be indestructible. Reinforcing just helps to extend life. This process also adds weight, but if you really wanted to, you could start a second layer, after the first one is dry.

That's harder than it sounds. The drywall fiberglass tape has only a limited adhesion. If you start trying to put a second layer on, you'll find that all the strips start to move around. I always do my bodies in sections to help avoid this. No matter how much tape and shoo goo you put on, the body will never be indestructible. Reinforcing just helps to extend life. This process also adds weight, but if you really wanted to, you could start a second layer, after the first one is dry.
My experience exactly. I'm much more conscious now about adding unnecessary weight. Ounces here and there add up and that shoe goo is tough but heavy. More mass means more damage to parts and body upon impact. I prefer to tape/shoe goo only areas prone to cracking.

My experience exactly. I'm much more conscious now about adding unnecessary weight. Ounces here and there add up and that shoe goo is tough but heavy. More mass means more damage to parts and body upon impact. I prefer to tape/shoe goo only areas prone to cracking.
aside from the rear center, which i believe is the most common place to crack. what other areas of the body are prone to cracking?

Attachments

• 2019-02-10_0126.png
    2019-02-10_0126.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 40
aside from the rear center, which i believe is the most common place to crack. what other areas of the body are prone to cracking?
When the bumper compresses the front of the truck, or the tail end scrapes the ground, these two spots weaken pretty quick as well.

View attachment 4007View attachment 4006 Has anyone else had any problems with their Outcast body? I've only ran it twice, the truck flipped on to its back going up a dirt mound and when I rolled it over I found these cracks. I haven't driven it crazy so my concern is, is this a design flaw? I know we have the Nero rear body post isssue. Anyway I called Arrma today and explained the issue and they basically said since they don't warranty the body send in photos and hope they'll consider replacing it! I asked them well what if i needed another body and was told by a supervisor that they don't have any because they won't be available until sometime in January! I don't understand how they put out new trucks and don't have all the parts available! So time to look for another body!
Gorilla tape works wonders?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back