Big Rock Broken motor mount housing pull tab, safe to drive?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firelancer

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if it will hurt my Big Rock 3s if I drive it without the tab at the top of the motor mount housing that snaps to the rear shock tower. It broke off when removing the motor. Curious if anyone has suffered any breaks from running with a broken one?

If it’s not locked in with the tab I wouldn’t run it that’s what locks everything together.
So running with just the red brace at the bottom isn't enough? Huge bummer. Last parts I ordered on the 4th still haven't arrived and that was just nuts for wheel axles and new pins as I lost one at the park when my wheel flew off from forgetting to tighten them after replacing A-arms/turnbuckles with new ones from the V3. For anyone who is nowhere near a LHS, and loses a axle/hex pin, heres a tip for what I used. A 10 gauge surgical steel straight plug (body jewelry) works perfectly if you have a jewelry shop nearby that has gauges.

No the motor mount would move to much and you would damage more things .Bummer on the parts everyone is in the same boat. I was at the hobby shop yesterday and the owner told me parts and trucks are getting hard to get and shipments are getting pushed out . On the positive He also said that business has boomed since the pandemic witch means more people are getting into the hobby.

Thank you! Actually just verified this by removing body and just rolling it on the table. Could see the motor mount moving as soon as the truck did. Will be waiting on a replacement.

Thank you! Actually just verified this by removing body and just rolling it on the table. Could see the motor mount moving as soon as the truck did. Will be waiting on a replacement.
I have a good tip for you! When changing out that motor mount u will probably have to remove the pinion. Arrma pours the whole bottle of Loctite on there so take a lighter and hold it on the pinion grub screw. Or take a soldering Iron and let it sit on there for 2-5mins. That way the red Loctite will be buttery smooth and will come right of!

I have a good tip for you! When changing out that motor mount u will probably have to remove the pinion. Arrma pours the whole bottle of Loctite on there so take a lighter and hold it on the pinion grub screw. Or take a soldering Iron and let it sit on there for 2-5mins. That way the red Loctite will be buttery smooth and will come right of!
Appreciate it, I actually already had to do this because the truck was a Senton 3s that I got tired of dumping rocks out of so I bought all the part and converted it to a Big Rock. If I remember right (could be off on this, my memory isn't the best) the 15t pinion doesn't have to come off to get the motor off the mount but the 20t (absolutely certain of this) did. I stripped the grub and after failing with heat as I had already read about the issue, and with a tap out, used a dremel and still could not remove it. Horizon Hobby sent me a replacement motor as at that point it wouldn't even press off with a bearing puller. :ROFLMAO:

Getting ready to order a replacement part for the broken pull tab on the motor module/gear cover. Can I just order the one from the Mega part #ARA311029? I just need the plastic piece with the locking pull tab and it looks similar. Trying to save $12 since I don't need the other two pieces.

Getting ready to order a replacement part for the broken pull tab on the motor module/gear cover. Can I just order the one from the Mega part #ARA311029? I just need the plastic piece with the locking pull tab and it looks similar. Trying to save $12 since I don't need the other two pieces.
You only need that one plastic piece. Also when replacing don't unscrew the motor screw. There is a screw hidden behind where the spur sits. Unscrew that and the plastic piece you broke will come out
(y)

You only need that one plastic piece. Also when replacing don't unscrew the motor screw. There is a screw hidden behind where the spur sits. Unscrew that and the plastic piece you broke will come out
(y)
I'm really confused by what you are saying. This is what broke, there is no screw behind the spur to remove? After the 3 screws come out that hold these together the part with the pull tab usually comes out with spur in it, just slide it and bearing out and slap bearing in new one right? One from the mega looks identical so i'm assuming it will work?
FHCNC86Z8GHE2TKPHVGMMK8BJ3QWDV6EB9RCWCYQ6R36GREVBU.jpg

Sorry, I wasn't arguing was just genuinely trying to figure out what you meant. Mine is actually the V2, looks like on the V3 they made the clip bigger, hopefully stronger. Thanks, I didn't even think to contact their live chat to ask if its interchangeable.

Sorry, I wasn't arguing was just genuinely trying to figure out what you meant. Mine is actually the V2, looks like on the V3 they made the clip bigger, hopefully stronger. Thanks, I didn't even think to contact their live chat to ask if its interchangeable.
It is! I know you weren't arguing. But it felt like it was going to turn into 1! They are interchangeable. I have a 6s motor on 1 and a 3s motor on another motor mount. 3s= street bashing , 6s= SPEED RUNS!

It is! I know you weren't arguing. But it felt like it was going to turn into 1! They are interchangeable. I have a 6s motor on 1 and a 3s motor on another motor mount. 3s= street bashing , 6s= SPEED RUNS!
Awesome, I actually went ahead and ordered one, but out of being curious asked Horizon Hobby and they responded that they were not sure, but were going to send me out a replacement for my model. So now i'll have a spare for next time I break one trying to pull the motor module out from the chassis. :ROFLMAO: I'm eyeballing a 6s Kraton next.

Awesome, I actually went ahead and ordered one, but out of being curious asked Horizon Hobby and they responded that they were not sure, but were going to send me out a replacement for my model. So now i'll have a spare for next time I break one trying to pull the motor module out from the chassis. :ROFLMAO: I'm eyeballing a 6s Kraton next.
Told you, Horizon makes it right! Leaky shocks on a v2? HAHA no more!

Back