Senton Brushless upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jothy.07

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I got a senton mega recently and ever since I figured out that there is a senton 3s blx I've had a weird "craving" for more speed so I have been looking for a brushless upgrade and i found a 85amp spektrum esc with a 3300kv motor for really cheap I do think it may be the one but before I buy it I need to know, will the mega pinion gear be able to handle this with a 3s battery? And if not can someone suggest a better alternative for at least 10mph faster?

Just message me bro lol i got all the answers for you lmao i love the senton i have the 3s one & look at your box if it shows metal diff gears and metal pinion its the same as the brushless version I bieleve just has a brushed setup for beginners

Well I've upgraded my Granite mega with an even more powerful system and nothing broke for months. Just now I've broken a differential because I'm a roof-landing idiot.

Well I've upgraded my Granite mega with an even more powerful system and nothing broke for months. Just now I've broken a differential because I'm a roof-landing idiot.
Is there anything you would recommend to change so that nothing breaks like gears and slippers etc

Do a quick forum search. This same question has been asked a million times and you'll find some good answers.

Is there anything you would recommend to change so that nothing breaks like gears and slippers etc
Well depends on if you run it on 2S or 3S. If you're running 2S, it's completely fine. I'm not sure about 3S though, you'll have to drive carefully with the stock slipper clutch. But it can take it imo.
What I would definitely recommend you to do is reinforcing your body. It's my most damaged part by far. The extra power will make the thing roll all the time.
I'd also pay attention to your diffs, they'll be fine unless you land under throttle

The pinion gear from the Mega brushed motor most likely will not fit the new Spektrum motor. You will probably have to get a new Safe-D5 pinion with a 5mm shaft which will probably be a 0.8mod pitch which also means you will have to get a 0.8mod spur gear to match the pitch of the new pinion.

If I am wrong, someone please say so.

The pinion gear from the Mega brushed motor most likely will not fit the new Spektrum motor. You will probably have to get a new Safe-D5 pinion with a 5mm shaft which will probably be a 0.8mod pitch which also means you will have to get a 0.8mod spur gear to match the pitch of the new pinion.

The 85a/3300kv spectrum combo has a 3mm shaft so his original pinion should work.

This applies to the 3660 motors I believe, the smaller 3652 ones still mostly have 3.175mm shafts. But I'm not sure whether the smaller motor will be enough for the senton. It's quite big for a 3652

Nah man your right. The mega pinion is little compared to the blx. Like half the size. And it’s not the safe-d5 thing.

The 85a/3300kv spectrum combo has a 3mm shaft so his original pinion should work.
This applies to the 3660 motors I believe, the smaller 3652 ones still mostly have 3.175mm shafts. But I'm not sure whether the smaller motor will be enough for the senton. It's quite big for a 3652
Didn't realize that the 3652 motor had a 3.175mm shaft.

I'm running the stock pinion gear that came on my brushed senton now with a spektrum 85a esc and 3300kv motor combo all I had to do was flip the pinion gear around since the motor shaft on the new Spektrum motor isnt as long as the brushed arrma motor.

I'm running the stock pinion gear that came on my brushed senton now with a spektrum 85a esc and 3300kv motor combo all I had to do was flip the pinion gear around since the motor shaft on the new Spektrum motor isnt as long as the brushed arrma motor.
First of all, the 85a ESC is a bit underpowered. A 1/10 scale truck is a bit heavy for a 85a ESC. Thats why the BLX 4x4 comes with a 100a ESC. And the motor that comes with the combo only has a 3.14mm shaft, not the 5mm shaft like on the motor in question. The Mega spur gear will not fit a 5mm shaft motor.

First of all, the 85a ESC is a bit underpowered. A 1/10 scale truck is a bit heavy for a 85a ESC. Thats why the BLX 4x4 comes with a 100a ESC. And the motor that comes with the combo only has a 3.14mm shaft, not the 5mm shaft like on the motor in question. The Mega spur gear will not fit a 5mm shaft motor.
The 85a esc is fine i put 4 3s 80c 6000mah batteries in it over the last 2 days and it's had more than enough power the entire time. Thanks for your opinion though, I was just sharing what happened in my own personal experience

Asking for too much.
It WILL break. :rolleyes: Unless it remains on your shelf to look at.
Hope your wallet can handle it.
Do a search to upgrade it if you want. Many threads here in regards. There are many that got the Mega because they are the cheapest, yet unknowingly the slowest. Often noticed right after buying one. Many that came here to select a 4x4 before purchasing, are steered to a 3s 4x4.
May be cheaper to buy a 3s rig at this point. Keep the Mega as is (brushed stock,) a backup rig, when the other is down for repair. Will happen. Many have been down this rabbit hole before. Those who did the upgrade know how much more it costs to upgrade. The cost is more than the difference between a 3s and Mega 4x4 rig.
It is not just the motor and ESC that needs to be upgraded. The Mega drivetrain is weaker and setup for a much less powerful brushed setup. You know this already.
Surely you can upgrade it. It just will break if you want to bash it. All RC's do to some extent.

Last edited:
The 85a esc is fine i put 4 3s 80c 6000mah batteries in it over the last 2 days and it's had more than enough power the entire time. Thanks for your opinion though, I was just sharing what happened in my own personal experience
Also I'm new to RC's I just got my senton this last Christmas so if a 85a esc is a "bit underpowered" for my senton then why would the hobby shop owner recommend me this combo?

Also I'm new to RC's I just got my senton this last Christmas so if a 85a esc is a "bit underpowered" for my senton then why would the hobby shop owner recommend me this combo?
a lot of hobby shop guy's have no clue . they just sale part's to make that cash..

+1
85amp is TOO small. Yes. LHS has no clue.:rolleyes: That is why. They are spending/taking your $$ unwisely. Or just slamming you with what they have in stock perhaps?? You will end up disappointed and buying twice over. Be careful.
Need a 100amp minimum, at the very least. 120amp ideal for 3s running.
@Kla912000 is 100% dead on correct. I would follow his lead on this. Common knowledge here. If you look closely at the 85 amp specs, it is just not the correct ESC. Albeit a cheaper alternative. Sure it may work for you. For while. Just not the correct match for that rig. Arrma specs 100amp for a reason on this 4x4 chassis platform. No getting a round this fact. Being a 4x4 drivetrain and heavier than average for most 1/10 scale rigs. Requires much torque. 85 amps would not suffice efficiently enough.
Figure only running 2s with that 85amp esc. No more. 3s is pushing it IMHO.
My spin.:cool:

Last edited:
+1
85amp is TOO small. Yes. LHS has no clue.:rolleyes: That is why. They are spending/taking your $$ unwisely. Or just slamming you with what they have in stock perhaps?? You will end up disappointed and buying twice over. Be careful.
Need a 100amp minimum, at the very least. 120amp ideal for 3s running.

@Kla912000 is 100% dead on correct. I would follow his lead on this. Common knowledge here. If you look closely at the 85 amp specs, it is just not the correct ESC. Albeit a cheaper alternative. Sure it may work for you. For while. Just not the correct match for that rig. Arrma specs 100amp for a reason on this 4x4 chassis platform. No getting a round this fact. Being a 4x4 drivetrain and heavier than average for most 1/10 scale rigs. Requires much torque. 85 amps would not suffice efficiently enough.
Figure only running 2s with that 85amp esc. No more. 3s is pushing it IMHO.
My spin.:cool:
Thanks for this response. I'm pretty busy at work right now and didn't have time to explain my previous post.

Back