Building a small scale crawler hauler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not bad at all!
Tex Avery Vintage Animation GIF

Thanks Doom!

When I looked closely at the bodyshell off the blue FCX power wagon in preparation to apply a wash, I noticed the basecoat of the body is a rust like red. That made me decide to sand down some of the paint and try to make a more worn out look on the cab. Another first, I never tried this technique before.

Grabbed some (used) sandpaper, the finest I could find and wet sanded the surface of the cab carefully. I learned that you need to take it real slow, because when you tend to “break trough” the surface color, a complete bald spot is not far away.

Below some pics of the sanded cab …

20240301_205846.jpg

20240301_205851.jpg

20240301_205902.jpg

20240301_205907.jpg

After sanding I applied a coat of Vallejo “oiled earth” wash. Unfortunately I did not learn much from applying the wash on the Patriot … made the same mistakes. Fiddled around with applying and removing the wash again and again when I felt the results are not to my liking.

Just apply it and walk away is what you should do! Anyhow below some pics of the end result on the FCX24.

20240307_203010.jpg

20240307_203038.jpg

20240307_203112.jpg

20240307_203143.jpg

Some close-up of the cab only, also dirtied up the front window and made some clean spots from the windshield wipers.

20240307_203159.jpg

20240307_203248.jpg

I did not get any pictures of the finished combo yet. I will get them later when there is daylight, preferably outside as well.

Well I guess this is it for now for this part of “building a small scale crawler hauler”. Perhaps I will add some more details to the flatbed trailer later. Now I want to focus on the second half of the project and start working on the next combo … The Glacier towing a gooseneck “sports crawler trailer”.

See ya on the next one …

Last edited:
Thanks Doom!

When I looked closely at the bodyshell off the blue FCX power wagon in preparation to apply a wash, I noticed the basecoat of the body is a rust like red. That made me decide to sand down some of the paint and try to make a more worn out look on the cab. Another first, I never tried this technique before.

Grabbed some (used) sandpaper, the finest I could find and wet sanded the surface of the cab carefully. I learned that you need to take it real slow, because when you tend to “break trough” the surface color, a complete bald spot is not far away.

Below some pics of the sanded cab …

View attachment 353022

View attachment 353023

View attachment 353024

View attachment 353025

After sanding I applied a coat of Vallejo “oiled earth” wash. Unfortunately I did not learn much from applying the wash on the Patriot … made the same mistakes. Fiddled around with applying and removing the wash again and again when I felt the results are not to my liking.

Just apply it and walk away is what you should do! Anyhow below some pics of the end result on the FCX24.

View attachment 353026

View attachment 353027

View attachment 353028

View attachment 353029

Some close-up of the cab only, also dirtied up the front window and made some clean spots from the windshield wipers.

View attachment 353030

View attachment 353031

I did not get any pictures of the finished combo yet. I will get them later when there is daylight, preferably outside as well.

Well I guess this is it for now for this part of “building a small scale crawler hauler”. Perhaps I will add some more details to the flatbed trailer later. Now I want to focus on the second half of the project and start working on the next combo … The Glacier towing a gooseneck “sports crawler trailer”.

See ya on the next one …
Your skills are really incredible. You really get into it. 👍

Back