Typhon Buyers beware!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is fairly common. All arms will bend some over time. No, they do not come that way brand new. If you want to straighten many people will say boil them and lay them flat. I have not tried that yet.

That is fairly common. All arms will bend some over time. No, they do not come that way brand new. If you want to straighten many people will say boil them and lay them flat. I have not tried that yet.
Ok thanks I'll do that
That's why I never buy used stuff, period.
Must admit, I've been burnt a couple of times now.

More

20210818_180320.jpg

There is a fine line between damage that the owner did not know about and a complete hose job. Some stuff could be broken and the rig still runs fine. Cant really blame people for that.

There is a fine line between damage that the owner did not know about and a complete hose job. Some stuff could be broken and the rig still runs fine. Cant really blame people for that.
I completely agree. No blaming here. But those dodgy motor repairs and broken chassis though??

I often serch Amazon Warehouse for used Arrmas. They have some pretty sizeable discounts on "Acceptable" condition items. I want to buy one as a project knowing that it will probably be a complete basket case that will require a complete rebuild. I know that going into it though, and Amazon isn't listing them as being in good condition.

In the OP's case, the seller should have disclosed the damage.

So much hassle to repair other peoples problems, I just buy new.. As said, when your done fixing issues you've spent the cost of a new car, but you still have a used car.. I have bought a few used RC cars before but under completely different circumstances. I have learned that my definition of "excellent condition" differs greatly from other peoples definition lol

I really hope you got a great deal .... Cause i would be sending pictures to the previous owner with a few choice words....
It was cheap enough but not cheap enough. 😆 Wow that makes no sense.

I got both my Kraton and Typhon 6s used Kraton was a roller from guy that works at LHS, $200 had mix-matched front arms (1 stock, 1 RPM) I threw in a Spektrum 160A and 1250kv and ran it hard and have since smoked the front and center dif, replaced center diff with metal case and F/R from jenny's complete and waiting for metal cases for both of them. I had already planned on rebuilding that. My Typhon only prob was tires were smoked when I got them and blew one the second time running it. Replaced center diff with metal and waiting for parts to do the rest now. Sometimes you win sometimes you lose, but it's the adventure that you live for, Bash, break, fix, repeat brother. Sorry ur luck has sucked, but now you can build it your way.

What did the seller say when you contacted them? Did you leave them shiite feedback?
I didn't contact him after receiving it and I left the feedback before stripping it down and finding all the damage. I'm not really that mad at the seller. Yes he could have been a bit more honest about its condition or maybe he didn't know any different. According to him he was the second owner so the dodgy work to the motor could have already been there when he bought it.

I didn't post this thread to bash the seller. This is just a heads up to people buying used RC's. Unless you've seen the car in person, know the seller or maybe even dissected it, you really don't know what your buying. Its a gamble.

Last edited:
I didn't contact him after receiving it and I left the feedback before stripping it down and finding all the damage. I'm not really that mad at the seller. Yes he could have been a bit more honest about its condition or maybe he didn't know any different. According to him he was the second owner so the dodgy work to the motor could have already been there when he bought it.

I didn't post this thread to bash the seller. This is just a heads up to people buying used RC's. Unless you've seen the car in person, know the seller or maybe even dissected it, you really don't know what your buying. Its a gamble.
Buying a used rc is a lot like a box of chocolates you never know what you're going to get.

Note: This is not buyers remorse and I'm not angry at the past owners. This is just a warning to would be bargain hunters like me. Buying used/second hand/pre-loved RC's is not always a better deal over new.

I bought a used 3s Typhon from eBay Australia. I don't see many used 3s Arrma's sold locally so I jumped on this one. It looked good on the ad so contacted the seller and bought it. He was the second owner so I'm the third.
Received it no problem and it was every well packaged. At first glance it looked good and run ok. It came with 2 lipos, spare parts, spare worn tyres, manual and OE tools.

But the more I looked, the more issues I found. So I looked deeper.

Here's the list:
one lipo fully charged (remember its been through the mail)
one lipo overly discharged
ESC set on Nimh
all pivot balls completely flogged
steering flogged
lots of movement in wheel bearings
ESC fan barely working and noisy
leaking shocks (I know, no surprise there)
broken wing (this was shown in the ad photos)
broken bumper

This is where it gets interesting:
the slipper clutch had been greased. why????
the motor was secured to the mount with gutter bolts, which were the wrong diameter and thread (wish I had taken a photo)
the motor end plate has been butchered
the motor shaft has been butchered
the inner motor shaft has had a bearing spin on it
and the nail in the coffin: the chassis is broken

checkout the carnage on the motor
View attachment 164042
View attachment 164043
View attachment 164046
View attachment 164047

Once again I'm not angry and this is not a dig at the previous owners. I don't mind working on these rigs. The thing is I could have bought a new Typhon for the overall cost of this used RC.
I've ordered a pivot ball kit and a plastics kit from Jennys. Bearing kit, motor bearings and ESC fan. I'm yet to order a wing and I already have a spare chassis.

Unless its dirt cheap it may be worth just buying a new one. Sometimes your buying someones problems.

On another note, how many of you have fitted the motor back onto the motor mount then realized you've forgotten to put the heatsink on first? Think I've done this about 3 times now 🤦‍♂️😆
When buying a full size car for the road you sometimes see, 1 carefull owner in the description. I think it would be very rare to see that description for a RC car. Everything is relative to price. The description you have written about your car I would expect to pay 20% of the new price.

I was driving my car with some friends last night, I disconnected the batteries after some minor crash, my friend took the remote from in-between my legs (I was standing but it was still weird) once the car is read to go my friend drives it straight under somebody's car (on accident). It was in there pretty well but the reverse came in handy. I take the remote out of my friends hand and proceed to drive it into a telephone pole.
confused stan marsh GIF by South Park

Proceed to give it a visual to make sure my friend didn't break anything (he didn't). Drive my car for another 2 minutes and the wheel falls off.
5 minutes of driving, about $50 in repairs, but compared to the good time I had with my friend PRICELESS.
ps the wheel hub was not working right 3rd wheel that has fallen off there so it is kinda a good thing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back