Kraton California Desert and Volcanic Field Kraton Bashing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pomplemus

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Hey, been a while since I've posted here!

Got busy with other things and didn't really think about my Kraton much, but that changed a few weeks ago. Had my birthday recently ( 30... :/ ), and used the death of my Hobbystar 4092 (don't neglect motor maintenance!) as an excuse to treat myself/my Kraton to bunch of new goodies, including a Castle Mamba Monster X 8S and 1717 1650 kV! It started out as a V4, so I also went ahead and upgraded to EXB/GP4 diffs after I blasted my ring gear with some standing backflips! I have full HR aluminum diff cases/covers, tightly shimmed ring and pinion, and converted to open using the dual round plate + shims method, so hopefully these will hold up for a while.

I've just run a couple packs through so far, but several of those were pretty special. A few weeks ago I went on a desert trip, and I brought along the Kraton so I could open her up on some BLM land in cool locales.

I had about a half hour stop with time to bash at Red Hill (Right by Fossil Falls BLM campground/Coso Volcanic Field, just off of 395 east of the Sierras) and couldn't pass up the opportunity to have some fun on the volcanic tephra field at the base of the cinder cone and dry lake bed!

I'm a firm proponent of "leave no trace" principles and preserving the natural beauty of special areas like this, so I just stuck to the road/trail areas where other people drive around/camp in their 1:1 vehicles.

Here are a couple short clips -please excuse the poor driving/videoing, I'm not used to trying to do each one handed! :D

PXL_20230410_234230733.jpg
PXL_20230411_003032831.jpg

Running the 1717 1650 kv at 16/50 on a not quite fully charged battery, it topped out at 58 mph / 93 kph. I've already geared up to an 18t pinion, looking forward to doing some more speed runs next time I'm out there!

The only casualties were some blades on my motor fan (neglected to install a proper screen and the rough tephra just destroyed it) and hub bearing decided to explode.

I love the variety of environments in California, and how quickly they can change. A couple weeks before this, I was snowed in during a ski trip in Lee Vining, and they shut down 395- perfect place to do some snow bashing! I don't have any pics of my Kraton in the fluffy stuff (was having too much fun), but this is what the highway looked like for the snow bash:

20230225_165408.jpg

20230226_125405.jpg

As long as I can fit in in the car, I think my Kraton will be a staple to bring with when I go camping/hiking now. :)

Me too, it's my favorite California highway! The hiking/mountaineering in the Sierras is awesome this year with all the snow. This is by Big Pine lakes back in November, even then there was a lot of snow.

View attachment 297606
The wife and I drove down 395 this last November on our Way to Ensenada to hang out with a buddy and watch the Baja 1000, there was ton of snow. We had to delay our start down by two days because NONE of the passes were open.

Mono Lake on the way down.
xic9QHr.jpg

@Pinepig Gorgeous... Mono lake in the winter is really special. I love seeing the snow covered tufa towers! Hopefully the Tioga pass will be opening soon.

Thanks @Doom! Yeah, some super alien looking vistas out in the desert, the Kraton is just a bit faster than any of the rovers that have made it to Mars!

@Pinepig Gorgeous... Mono lake in the winter is really special. I love seeing the snow covered tufa towers! Hopefully the Tioga pass will be opening soon.
With all the snow I'm thinking not a day before June 1st. I'm really looking forward to the passes being open again.

Hey, been a while since I've posted here!

Got busy with other things and didn't really think about my Kraton much, but that changed a few weeks ago. Had my birthday recently ( 30... :/ ), and used the death of my Hobbystar 4092 (don't neglect motor maintenance!) as an excuse to treat myself/my Kraton to bunch of new goodies, including a Castle Mamba Monster X 8S and 1717 1650 kV! It started out as a V4, so I also went ahead and upgraded to EXB/GP4 diffs after I blasted my ring gear with some standing backflips! I have full HR aluminum diff cases/covers, tightly shimmed ring and pinion, and converted to open using the dual round plate + shims method, so hopefully these will hold up for a while.

I've just run a couple packs through so far, but several of those were pretty special. A few weeks ago I went on a desert trip, and I brought along the Kraton so I could open her up on some BLM land in cool locales.

I had about a half hour stop with time to bash at Red Hill (Right by Fossil Falls BLM campground/Coso Volcanic Field, just off of 395 east of the Sierras) and couldn't pass up the opportunity to have some fun on the volcanic tephra field at the base of the cinder cone and dry lake bed!

I'm a firm proponent of "leave no trace" principles and preserving the natural beauty of special areas like this, so I just stuck to the road/trail areas where other people drive around/camp in their 1:1 vehicles.

Here are a couple short clips -please excuse the poor driving/videoing, I'm not used to trying to do each one handed! :D

View attachment 297586View attachment 297585

Running the 1717 1650 kv at 16/50 on a not quite fully charged battery, it topped out at 58 mph / 93 kph. I've already geared up to an 18t pinion, looking forward to doing some more speed runs next time I'm out there!

The only casualties were some blades on my motor fan (neglected to install a proper screen and the rough tephra just destroyed it) and hub bearing decided to explode.

I love the variety of environments in California, and how quickly they can change. A couple weeks before this, I was snowed in during a ski trip in Lee Vining, and they shut down 395- perfect place to do some snow bashing! I don't have any pics of my Kraton in the fluffy stuff (was having too much fun), but this is what the highway looked like for the snow bash:

View attachment 297589

View attachment 297590

As long as I can fit in in the car, I think my Kraton will be a staple to bring with when I go camping/hiking now. :)
Thanks for posting. Fantastic place to be!

Went out camping last week, and couldn't resist bringing the Kraton along again!

I went back to that dry lake bed by Coso Volcanic area and found a bump that worked great as jump. Flat out, I was getting about 100-110 ft (30-34 m) of distance! Tested out top speed with a higher 18 t pinion and CNHL G+ 70C 6S 5Ah battery, got up to 66 mph (106 kph) this times, which I feel like is pretty comfortable for general bashing. Testing 20 t next time!

Of course, the one time I bring out the camera and try to film at the same time, I bungle the landing. o_O
Holding super long drifts is a ton of fun.

PXL_20230512_164442475~2.jpg

Kept going south and visited Mojave National Preserve for the first time, bashed for a bit in the campground road by Kelso Dunes. Super cool views from atop the 600 ft (183 m) main dune!

PXL_20230517_170144890.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back