Kraton Castle 1512 with Kraton?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Culminate6391

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I know the recommended is the 1717 1650kv but I have a 1512 1800kv on hand already and was going to build up a kraton roller. What issues or problems am I going to see with the 1512?

The 1512 is a strong motor for its size but it is a little short for a big 1/8 truck like the Kraton. It'll be down on torque and power from a stock Kraton motor.

If you gear it conservatively (maybe 50mph) and use 4S-sized tires, I'd bet you'll be happy with it. If you want big tires and big speed, I'd buy a different motor.

Last edited:
According to Castle, they have the following to say on the 1512:

Application Guidelines:Ideal for 1:8 scale off-road and on-road vehicles as well as 1:10 scale 4WD SCT up to 9lbs.

I think the K6S is going to be a bit on the heavy boned side for this motor and, if I had to guess, you're probably going to see thermal issues with a motor that's a bit underpowered for the application. When it comes to brushless motors, torque scales with weight of the motor. I'm not saying you can't try it, I'm just saying that, chances are, it will be underwhelming.

Oh I forgot an important point - Castle specs that motor for 4S maximum voltage.

I asked Castle tech support about running it on 6S and this was their response:

“You can't gear any car low enough to keep the wattage below the limit of that motor on 6s. It WILL overheat. It's not just about RPM, it's the amperage and wattage you're going to pull.”

I'll probably bolt it up just to see what happens...but will likley go to the 1717 with something like a 18 or 20t pinion.

Last edited:
I'll probably bolt it up just to see what happens...but will likley go to the 1717 with something like a 18 or 20t spur.
I assume you meant pinion. I have a K6EXB with a 1717 1650KV motor in it and it's probably going to get a bit toasty with a pinion of that size without some fans for cooling. I run a 16T in mine and it seems to be a good balance and plenty fast for my taste. YMMV :)

I ran similar motor on my talion and it was lacking compared to the bigger 1515/4274 style motors. I would not recommend anyone run that size motor unless they have one sitting around already and just want to drive the car for a bit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back