Castle ESC to Spektrum Smart battery connection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are IC5 connectors, you can look it up on Youtube, a lot better than writing about it.
You could use EC5's if you are comfortable soldering.

Those are IC5 connectors, you can look it up on Youtube, a lot better than writing about it.
You could use EC5's if you are comfortable soldering.

I have IC5 coming off the battery (male) and the connectors there I showed are female, to be soldered. Just seems an odd way to go about it. Maybe it's me and this is the normal way to do it?

Are you sure? A battery always has receptacles i.e. female, for safety reasons. My Firma ESC has male connections, which is what you would need as well for your castle.
I was referring to the connector type itself, they come in both male/female. EC5's are cheaper but a little tougher to assemble.

Are you sure? A battery always has receptacles i.e. female, for safety reasons. My Firma ESC has male connections, which is what you would need as well for your castle.
I was referring to the connector type itself, they come in both male/female. EC5's are cheaper but a little tougher to assemble.

So this is what the end of a Castle Mamba X esc looks like. I am asking whether or not the connection I linked to above is the proper method to get that ESC ready for a Spektrum Smart battery.

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 10.30.26 PM.png

Got it (finally) :ROFLMAO:

Yes, that is the right connector. You would have to solder wire to wire and you are all set.
Probably the worst way of doing it though. Wire to wire is always ugly imho. Use heatshrink, that part will be stiff and potentially break. Don't mess with tape unless its self sealing.

My alternatives:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/spektr...y-connector-1-male-1-female-spmxca502/p802518

https://www.amainhobbies.com/maclan-ec5-connectors-2-female-2-male-mcl4157/p703688

If you do take my recommendation, watch youtube if this is something you can do. The wire to wire solution is easier to handle.

I feel like you just called me stupid...?. Yes i was looking for validation as amain told me to buy those leads. I thought this was what I needed figured i just ome h
Got it (finally) :ROFLMAO:

Yes, that is the right connector. You would have to solder wire to wire and you are all set.
Probably the worst way of doing it though. Wire to wire is always ugly imho. Use heatshrink, that part will be stiff and potentially break. Don't mess with tape unless its self sealing.

My alternatives:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/spektr...y-connector-1-male-1-female-spmxca502/p802518

https://www.amainhobbies.com/maclan-ec5-connectors-2-female-2-male-mcl4157/p703688

If you do take my recommendation, watch youtube if this is something you can do. The wire to wire solution is easier to handle.

Yeah I knew something wasn't right about what Amain recommended on this one but rather than go back and forth i figured I'd bring it here and ask. I'd think it's much cleaner to go directly to the end connector assuming the length is there to the battery.

thanks for the validation, I knew I had to question this before I purchased the part.

What you linked technically would work, but unless you need the extra wire length, I would buy and solder on just a connector(male), not the wire/connector assembly.
The EC5 connector male/female distinction is confusing because the female plastic rods stick into the male plastic holes.

My bad, didn’t mean to help ya ?? ??

Help..More like taking an opportunity for a passive aggressive insult after you were a douche privately. Like I said take your business elsewhere, don't need any help from you.

Woah guys, be cool to each other.

EC5 would be easier. Especially if you're newer to soldering these connectors. I would only recommend IC5 if you have a pretty good soldering iron and are a quick worker. Cheapy soldering irons don't hold temp well which forces you to hold the iron to the connector for a prolonged period of time which in turn melts the plastic parts. Also don't forget about the little grey end piece that you have to slide over the wires first before you solder. EC5/IC5 is a great standard and are backward compatible. T-plugs are for pilgrims, and Traxxas ID connectors are for little Nazi girls. Lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back